Today I Learned

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:31 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today I Learned

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I've learned that when you sneeze, your heart stops for a second hence saying Humm Dillilah or Bless You
I thought 'bless you' went back to the Middle Ages when the plague was kicking around?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Today I learned that I should have booked hotels in Japan ages ago and that they're all mucho expensivo.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:33 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Today I learned that you should know what you have in your pantry before deciding to make pasta and end up with everything ready but no pasta :/
anyone know of anyone who can come and cook dinner for me for 20 days?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I've learned that when you sneeze, your heart stops for a second hence saying Humm Dillilah or Bless You
It's Alhumudlillaah....you completely butchered the spelling there lol
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
He's learned something else now then..
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Haha my pronunciation ain't half bad though!

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I thought 'bless you' went back to the Middle Ages when the plague was kicking around?
That's what I thought - my Arabic colleague informed me otherwise this morning...
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:18 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

well technically he is not wrong
'Hamd' means 'praise'
'lil' means 'for'
and in arabic grammar you can join it with the word Allah by shortening the word, so 'lilah' becomes for God
Placing the word 'AL' before any word makes it very special in Arabic, basically it means the one and only. So AlKitab is The book. etc etc
so Hamdillah is perfectly sound pronunciation and matter of fact most of Arabic speakers that I know of, say 'Hamdillah', not 'Alhamdulillah'

you see sub-continentals were taught our Arabic, instead of being born with it so we tend to carry the same pronunciations without ever questioning them about what do they really mean

by the by, heres something more
on the reply to 'Asallam o elekum', we usually say 'Waelekum asallam'
But the locals (arabs) say 'elekum salam'

The word Wa means AND

so its perfectly normal and courteous behavior to not put 'Wa' in front of your reply. Its like saying 'Good Morning' to a reply of a 'Good Morning' instead of 'And a Good morning to you as well'
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Today I learned that I should have booked hotels in Japan ages ago and that they're all mucho expensivo.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:43 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Would have been quicker and cheaper to get Mission to book them for you
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Vics VapoRub is not a suitable alternative for Durex Play
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Well, yes.
Yeah, nevermind. Plumped for a treat in Tokyo that (even though it's not an Intercon) the Mr Shed below will be proud.

Problem is Kyoto. But found 5-6 to pick from that are reasonable and will be in the right places.

Originally Posted by TheShed
Would have been quicker and cheaper to get Mission to book them for you
I'm going next month mate, not in 2043....
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone on here who is not middle class?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Is there anyone on here who is not middle class?
I dream of being elevated to a serf.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I dream of being elevated to a serf.
A peasant revolt I see.

Unlikely buddy.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Vics VapoRub is not a suitable alternative for Durex Play
You only learned that today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.