Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Today is the 25th anniversary of......

Today is the 25th anniversary of......

Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Today is the 25th anniversary of......

Live Aid.

I remember a scorching hot day, and a breathtaking performance by Queen, more than anything else.

I also remember Geldof swearing live on BBC1 (unheard of back then) when donations didn't appear at first to be exactly flowing in (there was no such thing as 'online' back then - it was all telephones and postcards).

I also remember getting some serious flak from workmates when I told them I had donated 100 pounds ("way too much", "you must be mad", "charity begins at home", "what about pensioners in THIS country who can't afford to heat their homes in winter", etc).

Did any of you lot actually go to Wembley? Any other memories?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today is the 25th anniversary of......

I am just stunned that it was 25 years ago. *feels old*

I remember watching most of it on TV at home and sitting outside in the sun during the boring acts or ones I didnt like. Even then it felt momentous.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Live Aid.

I remember a scorching hot day, and a breathtaking performance by Queen, more than anything else.

I also remember Geldof swearing live on BBC1 (unheard of back then) when donations didn't appear at first to be exactly flowing in (there was no such thing as 'online' back then - it was all telephones and postcards).

I also remember getting some serious flak from workmates when I told them I had donated 100 pounds ("way too much", "you must be mad", "charity begins at home", "what about pensioners in THIS country who can't afford to heat their homes in winter", etc).

Did any of you lot actually go to Wembley? Any other memories?
i was there...... swelting hot it was, lot of waiting around for the music to start in the us, and the teddy bear!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
i was there...... swelting hot it was, lot of waiting around for the music to start in the us, and the teddy bear!
Ah yes - the US event in Philadelphia (I think).

Didn't someone perform at Wembley, then fly by Concorde to perform in Philadelphia as well? Phil Collins?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Sure it was Collins. I now feel a lot older as well. I remember the day vividly for some reason. It was our school Fete and I was playing in a football tournament most of the day. Although Live aid was being played through the PA system.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Callella, Spain with the lads and trying to shag everything in sight
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:28 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ah yes - the US event in Philadelphia (I think).

Didn't someone perform at Wembley, then fly by Concorde to perform in Philadelphia as well? Phil Collins?
yea Phil collins..

Simple Minds were absolutely brilliant.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:49 am