British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Today is the 25th anniversary of...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/today-25th-anniversary-676423/)

The Dean Jul 13th 2010 6:52 am

Today is the 25th anniversary of......

Live Aid.

I remember a scorching hot day, and a breathtaking performance by Queen, more than anything else.

I also remember Geldof swearing live on BBC1 (unheard of back then) when donations didn't appear at first to be exactly flowing in (there was no such thing as 'online' back then - it was all telephones and postcards).

I also remember getting some serious flak from workmates when I told them I had donated 100 pounds ("way too much", "you must be mad", "charity begins at home", "what about pensioners in THIS country who can't afford to heat their homes in winter", etc).

Did any of you lot actually go to Wembley? Any other memories?

Meow Jul 13th 2010 7:02 am

Re: Today is the 25th anniversary of......

I am just stunned that it was 25 years ago. *feels old*

I remember watching most of it on TV at home and sitting outside in the sun during the boring acts or ones I didnt like. Even then it felt momentous.

busybee2 Jul 13th 2010 7:04 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8697826)
Live Aid.

I remember a scorching hot day, and a breathtaking performance by Queen, more than anything else.

I also remember Geldof swearing live on BBC1 (unheard of back then) when donations didn't appear at first to be exactly flowing in (there was no such thing as 'online' back then - it was all telephones and postcards).

I also remember getting some serious flak from workmates when I told them I had donated 100 pounds ("way too much", "you must be mad", "charity begins at home", "what about pensioners in THIS country who can't afford to heat their homes in winter", etc).

Did any of you lot actually go to Wembley? Any other memories?

i was there...... swelting hot it was, lot of waiting around for the music to start in the us, and the teddy bear!:rofl:

The Dean Jul 13th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8697850)
i was there...... swelting hot it was, lot of waiting around for the music to start in the us, and the teddy bear!:rofl:

Ah yes - the US event in Philadelphia (I think).

Didn't someone perform at Wembley, then fly by Concorde to perform in Philadelphia as well? Phil Collins?

GuyinUAE Jul 13th 2010 7:32 am

Sure it was Collins. I now feel a lot older as well. I remember the day vividly for some reason. It was our school Fete and I was playing in a football tournament most of the day. Although Live aid was being played through the PA system.

Sandboy Jul 13th 2010 9:06 am

I was in Callella, Spain with the lads and trying to shag everything in sight

commander Jul 13th 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8697859)
Ah yes - the US event in Philadelphia (I think).

Didn't someone perform at Wembley, then fly by Concorde to perform in Philadelphia as well? Phil Collins?

yea Phil collins..

Simple Minds were absolutely brilliant.

Autonomy Jul 13th 2010 11:49 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8698059)
yea Phil collins..

I always thought "I Don't Like Mondays" at Live Aid was the highlight - very emotional.... the pause is perfect.

commander Jul 13th 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8698292)
I always thought "I Don't Like Mondays" at Live Aid was the highlight - very emotional.... the pause is perfect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AaGnwx62FRU

agree, the pause is really spot on.

Ethos83 Jul 13th 2010 1:30 pm

You all are....old.

;)

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8698059)
yea Phil collins..

Shame they saw it as the chance to become U2-lite.

busybee2 Jul 13th 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8698489)
You all are....old.

;)

nah i was still young and at school.:p

Autonomy Jul 13th 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8699174)
Shame they saw it as the chance to become U2-lite.

cheap shot :p you can talk.... where were the Finn Bros? ;)

good set though

Have to say though - I was never a huge fan, but they did do some stone dead classics...

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8699385)
cheap shot :p you can talk.... where were the Finn Bros? ;)

good set though

Have to say though - I was never a huge fan, but they did do some stone dead classics...

They were probably still Split Enz back then...

Hey, I'm a big Minds fan. Seen them at least 6 times. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that their best stuff was pre-1985.

Autonomy Jul 13th 2010 9:03 pm

rather than hijack - all this talk of the Minds got me thinking of great Scottish bands - hence a new thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...82#post8699482