Tipping in Dubai

Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping in Dubai

Originally Posted by Zico2009
I dont see how that comment holds any weight.

Many ppl get paid in buttons, you dont tip them though. Lets take a look;

The men working 12 hour shifts on building sites, without proper food, living arrangements etc etc, get paid half a button a month, do you go by and tip them for doing what they are paid to do? No.
Tipping is just a part of service society. You choose whether you do it.

An arguement based on whether someone should or shouldn't get tipped is pretty pointless as it's a personal choice issue.

Personally, if I think a place/person has tried to take the piss, or given poor service, no way will they get anything.

But people genuinely trying to be helpful and give good service deserve to be rewarded for that positivity.

Tipping goes further than restaurants and taxis. I'm sure many here have tipped gardeners, a/c repair guys, general maintenance people, etc etc
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
because they get paid buttons, that's why.
exactly!

Originally Posted by Zico2009
I dont see how that comment holds any weight.

Many ppl get paid in buttons, you dont tip them though. Lets take a look;

The men working 12 hour shifts on building sites, without proper food, living arrangements etc etc, get paid half a button a month, do you go by and tip them for doing what they are paid to do? No.
I often buy boxes of water and drop them off with the labourers.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, I'll aim for 5 - 10 if everything seems good! Here in Oz, tipping is not such a big thing, although service charge is always added in restaurants anyway.

Sam
Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

Last time I visited Abu Dhabi, I tended to tip up to the nearest note for a taxi. And like others have said between the 10% and 15% mark at restaraunts etc.

Why do I tip? Because I was genuinely impressed with the service we got. Benihanas was great, the service at the Brazillian place at the Intercon was also very good.

You're right, I don't HAVE to tip... but these guys are being paid a lot less than I am (and I wouldn't say I'm paid particularly great right now) but it's nice to share, isn't it? At the end of the day, if we had a AED250 bill (per person), AED25 isn't exactly a great deal more... it's about £4.

Although, if the service was paritcular poor... i.e: attitude problems, no communication, rudeness... then I won't tip. But if the guy has done their job well, why not show that little extra appreciation?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amnesia180
Last time I visited Abu Dhabi, I tended to tip up to the nearest note for a taxi. And like others have said between the 10% and 15% mark at restaraunts etc.

Why do I tip? Because I was genuinely impressed with the service we got. Benihanas was great, the service at the Brazillian place at the Intercon was also very good.

You're right, I don't HAVE to tip... but these guys are being paid a lot less than I am (and I wouldn't say I'm paid particularly great right now) but it's nice to share, isn't it? At the end of the day, if we had a AED250 bill (per person), AED25 isn't exactly a great deal more... it's about £4.

Although, if the service was paritcular poor... i.e: attitude problems, no communication, rudeness... then I won't tip. But if the guy has done their job well, why not show that little extra appreciation?
yeah, i agree with you...(ohhh, and i LOVE that brazilian place at the intercon, lol...)

actually, i probably overtip taxis and petrol station guys etc...but i have cut back in some places, eg i always used to tip the guys in hotels who get you a taxi, and now i don't unless they really have had to do something special, but boy i do feel bad every time...

MM, xx
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, i agree with you...(ohhh, and i LOVE that brazilian place at the intercon, lol...)

actually, i probably overtip taxis and petrol station guys etc...but i have cut back in some places, eg i always used to tip the guys in hotels who get you a taxi, and now i don't unless they really have had to do something special, but boy i do feel bad every time...

MM, xx
Yes, it's great isn't it! I love the Green/Red card thing... once the red card is shown, that's "recovery time" and then as soon as the green appears the waiters are straight over with some sort of fancy meat. Mmmm... I'm getting hungry now!

I think it also depends if you're on holiday or living there, on holiday we tipped the guy doing the valet parking for the Rotana because he seemed to always be there when we were there... so at the end of the week we just gave him a small token, to show appreciation. But if I lived there... it might be different?

On holiday, you also tend to feel more "generous" (maybe?).
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:08 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

MM, xx
tell me about this brazilian place then....
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's great isn't it! I love the Green/Red card thing... once the red card is shown, that's "recovery time" and then as soon as the green appears the waiters are straight over with some sort of fancy meat. Mmmm... I'm getting hungry now!

I think it also depends if you're on holiday or living there, on holiday we tipped the guy doing the valet parking for the Rotana because he seemed to always be there when we were there... so at the end of the week we just gave him a small token, to show appreciation. But if I lived there... it might be different?

On holiday, you also tend to feel more "generous" (maybe?).
Oh dear, how many people have said that to me! Although at the time I was actually living in the hotel

What Rotana did you stay? Al Bustan I guess?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

tell me about this brazilian place then....
it's in abu dhabi, sadly...it's a churrascaria, they give you a disk, and if you leave it on green, and they keep coming round with all sorts of amazing meats on skewers, then you turn it onto red when you've finished...it's fab...

MM, xx
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Euc-
Oh dear, how many people have said that to me! Although at the time I was actually living in the hotel

What Rotana did you stay? Al Bustan I guess?
Haha - I guess it is a trick of their trade "always being there"

I wasn't staying at the Rotana, I just went their daily for the pool (I loved the little bar that sits inside the bar and the food was lovely)! We also went to Benihanas there (situated inside) and met a few friends there for lunch a couple of times.

I don't know if it was Al Bustan or not? It's not far from Al Wadha Mall if that makes any difference?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - I guess it is a trick of their trade "always being there"

I wasn't staying at the Rotana, I just went their daily for the pool (I loved the little bar that sits inside the bar and the food was lovely)! We also went to Benihanas there (situated inside) and met a few friends there for lunch a couple of times.

I don't know if it was Al Bustan or not? It's not far from Al Wadha Mall if that makes any difference?
Oh lol, no, that was Beach Rotana!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

it's in abu dhabi, sadly...it's a churrascaria, they give you a disk, and if you leave it on green, and they keep coming round with all sorts of amazing meats on skewers, then you turn it onto red when you've finished...it's fab...

MM, xx
oh man it sounds class. There's meant to be a good argentinian place over here, you been?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Euc-
Oh lol, no, that was Beach Rotana!
Oh right, oops! It would help if I knew where I was actually going!

oh man it sounds class. There's meant to be a good argentinian place over here, you been?
It really is great. There's also a salad bar that you can help yourself too and it has a mixture and nice and wonderful "extras".
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:37 am
why ayeeeee man!

Oh right, oops! It would help if I knew where I was actually going!

It really is great. There's also a salad bar that you can help yourself too and it has a mixture and nice and wonderful "extras".
erm, like what?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

erm, like what?
Little rice things, plenty of pata type dishes, the regular herb/garlic/mayo based sauces/condiments, humous (sp?), all that regular stuff... oh and fried banana!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.