Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Time for some new wheels...

Time for some new wheels...

Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for some new wheels...

4l fortuner.

Mid range Fortuner is 125k new. I paid 112k for one that was 4months old from the stealer. Great cars - I had the previous one 6 years and nothing went wrong with it - still got a reasonable amount back for it too (and it was 7 years old when I sold it). They now sell more new Fortuners than Prados as it's much better value for money.

The FJ is basically a Prado with a new skin. Great car, but visability is poor. I like mine, but it's not as comfy as the Fortuner.

Patrols are also great, but expensive - 122k for the entry level 3 door model.

Explorers are shite. I warned you about the AC... and I was right

Unless you are going off road, I don't know why anyone would get a wrangler.

I had a Pajero for a few years - top little car - abused in the desert, and comfy on road too. Just a little underpowered for road and off-road. It never broke down despite the abuse, lack of servicing etc.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 20th 2014 at 8:54 am.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Got back for funeral, hired same class but upgrade was 27 quid a day. Spent the week driving Dad around in a Picasso. We must have looked like a right pair!
I love hiring shite little cars. I'm in the UK and ordered a Fiat 500. I was genuinely disappointed and complained when they upgraded me to a Corsa. Apparently, i'm the first person to ever complain at getting a Corsa over a Fiat 500.

Anyway, I got stuck with the Corsa. It delivered 115mph on the A42... but can only wheel spin in first. disappointing result. I can wheel spin my patrol in 3rd.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

last time i was in the UK I ordered an astra sized car and got a Skoda Fabia Estate. Was not chuffed but in the end the large boot space meant we didnt have to keep lugging our cases in and out of the car.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp, just don't be a typical Dubai twunt and waste loads of money on a flash car because it's the 'done thing' to certain people. If you really need to change it, be sensible and get something affordable.

Not exciting but you'll be glad you did one day when you have also managed to save some money. It's about time you did...

Auntie Meow.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I love hiring shite little cars. I'm in the UK and ordered a Fiat 500. I was genuinely disappointed and complained when they upgraded me to a Corsa. Apparently, i'm the first person to ever complain at getting a Corsa over a Fiat 500.

Anyway, I got stuck with the Corsa. It delivered 115mph on the A42... but can only wheel spin in first. disappointing result. I can wheel spin my patrol in 3rd.
I like getting different things. I once had a Hyundai i25 I think, it had all sorts, it could fit in the boot of my Explorer but it had a reversing camera...

Originally Posted by Meow
Scamp, just don't be a typical Dubai twunt and waste loads of money on a flash car because it's the 'done thing' to certain people. If you really need to change it, be sensible and get something affordable.

Not exciting but you'll be glad you did one day when you have also managed to save some money. It's about time you did...

Auntie Meow.
Agreed. That's why it's another Explorer or Pajero or maybe Fortuner. Sensible hat on at the moment but having just spoken to my Dad again I think it might be wise to clear my remaining loan first, or at least most of it, then sell mine, pocket lots of cash money and then go find a good deal.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Agreed. That's why it's another Explorer or Pajero or maybe Fortuner. Sensible hat on at the moment but having just spoken to my Dad again I think it might be wise to clear my remaining loan first, or at least most of it, then sell mine, pocket lots of cash money and then go find a good deal.
Oh, you still have a loan... keep the exploder alive via some cheap Al Quoz garages until the loan is paid off then you can be serious.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:13 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you still have a loan... keep the exploder alive via some cheap Al Quoz garages until the loan is paid off then you can be serious.
This

You plonker scamp
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

There's not loads left and what is left I can clear but I'd rather not zing a load of cash on it after holiday spending and funeral flights spending. Got that shit to pay off first.

Going to overpay my loan and buy later. There's probably 30k of 'equity' in the motor as it stands.

Nothing wrong with having a loan anyway, I didn't have 80k sat around doing nothing to buy it...
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally what anyone should do is clear the loan and then set the same amount aside every month to build up to buy a new car outright. Having a loan means you are paying interest so that deal is never what you think it is once you factor in the real cost.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally what anyone should do is clear the loan and then set the same amount aside every month to build up to buy a new car outright. Having a loan means you are paying interest so that deal is never what you think it is once you factor in the real cost minus the loss of utility while you're saving up for the new car.
Borrowing isn't always not ideal.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Borrowing isn't always not ideal.
Especially, when the interest element of my monthly installment is 110dh.

That's three pints of beer in Dubai.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:33 pm
Bored liberal

Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Especially, when the interest element of my monthly installment is 110dh.

That's three pints of beer in Dubai.
so that means that you can drive home in the old car after 3 pints and save on taxi fare!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:16 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally what anyone should do is clear the loan and then set the same amount aside every month to build up to buy a new car outright. Having a loan means you are paying interest so that deal is never what you think it is once you factor in the real cost.
I agree but for the majority of residents well beyond their reach. Most can barely make 1 car payment let alone double it and cars are still cheaper on cash flow than taxis for most.

I have a loan on the newer car for 2 reasons. 1 it's worth substantially more than the loan so can be used to pay it off anytime (I also make sure the insured value well exceeds it's current market value and loan amount, frankly it'd be worth writing it off! ) and 2 I can walk away from here tomorrow and take the cash leaving the car at the airport if I have to. If I had to leave and the money was in the car I'd lose it all. The cost to have that extra security is negligible and well worth it to me.
Yes financially it's not ideal but it's a calculated cost of my life here. A few extra grand over a few years to know that I have that cash if I need it is well worth it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.