Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Tiger Woods Golf Resort

Tiger Woods Golf Resort

Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Woods Golf Resort

Another high profile development project has now been shelved. What is next, the Jebel Ali International Airport, perhaps?

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900005...rt/Article.htm
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiger Woods Golf Resort

Tiger Woods was shelved about a year ago they just never admitted it
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you know just about everything, Blue Cat, is the new airport project still going on?

I work at DAFZA and I can see what looks like a new terminal at DXB under construction. Makes one wonder why a new airport, especially as DXB never seemed overcrowded to me.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
Since you know just about everything, Blue Cat, is the new airport project still going on?

I work at DAFZA and I can see what looks like a new terminal at DXB under construction. Makes one wonder why a new airport, especially as DXB never seemed overcrowded to me.
I have no idea on that one but it was supposed to be built nearly 20 years ago, that is why Jebel Ali Hotel was built. When that opened it was practically in Abu Dhabi as you can well imagine. It was built to house the Senior Staff who were working on the proposed airport.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:34 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

The new Jebel Ali airport is currently handling 6-8 cargo planes per day or so one of their top guys told me just before Xmas. They are trying to get the low-cost airlines to relocate there from Dubai, without which they are stumped. Personally I think it will become yet another commercial Free Zone as the infrastructure is there but not the international runways needed to become a viable airport.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:16 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
...as the infrastructure is there but not the international runways needed to become a viable airport.
what is an international runway?

I find it hard to believe that the airport was due to be built 20 years ago and wasn't. They would have done it during the boom rather than upgraded DXB several times instead. It's a simple case of badly timed over expansion like most of Dubai.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:51 am
Concierge

Interestingly I got an e mail from a friend who's husband is working as a QS on the JA Airport ...

1. His boss and definitely many other contractors have not been getting paid for months. Allegedly the company he works for is owed 46 million in fees. Goodness knows how much the main contractor is owed.

2. Consequently his boss has not paid them all for January. For many this is devastating of course with rent cheques about to bounce etc.

3. There has never been as many as 6 flights a week - one a week since the opening but even this seems to have stopped now.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Another high profile development project has now been shelved. What is next, the Jebel Ali International Airport, perhaps?

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900005...rt/Article.htm
Jebel Ali was shelved 18 months ago , i had been involved with the project for 4 years.
The 1st Runway is operational but the other 5 are shelved , the master plan of the project is now unrecognizable from the original working draft.

Obviously there will be a working airport there but it's a disaster in terms of what it should have been. My previous company were owed more than 500million AED from D.C.A for work completed . The projects of Golf City , Aviation City , Logistics city are now just basically pipe dreams.

When i looked at the Master plan 5 years ago it was plain to see that a 6 runway airport sandwiched between DXB and AD was just far too much capacity.

The new concourse in DXB is concourse 3 for arrivals of A380's , it's really not needed but 4 years ago the projection was that it was.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:12 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Jebel Ali was shelved 18 months ago , i had been involved with the project for 4 years.
The 1st Runway is operational but the other 5 are shelved , the master plan of the project is now unrecognizable from the original working draft.

Obviously there will be a working airport there but it's a disaster in terms of what it should have been. My previous company were owed more than 500million AED from D.C.A for work completed . The projects of Golf City , Aviation City , Logistics city are now just basically pipe dreams.

When i looked at the Master plan 5 years ago it was plain to see that a 6 runway airport sandwiched between DXB and AD was just far too much capacity.

The new concourse in DXB is concourse 3 for arrivals of A380's , it's really not needed but 4 years ago the projection was that it was.
6 runways... hilarious. Look at the throughput of Heathrow with just 2.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
what is an international runway?

I find it hard to believe that the airport was due to be built 20 years ago and wasn't. They would have done it during the boom rather than upgraded DXB several times instead. It's a simple case of badly timed over expansion like most of Dubai.
An international runway is specified by ASTM - E2100 standard , theres all kinds of specifics in there , Pavment specs , landing overshoots , everything concerned with operating a runway to take the full spectrum of aircraft , that's the basics i think , not too sure of the specific engineering.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
6 runways... hilarious. Look at the throughput of Heathrow with just 2.
Honestly , iv never been on a project where i thought i would have at least 10 years work, it was that big and complex , i was planning on retiring after Jebel Ali. They just ran out of cash .

I'd worked on runways in Abu Dhabi , Hong Kong , Heathrow T5 and Manila and i'd never seen projected development like Jebel Ali.

When you're involved constructing Government backed infastructure projects and they run out of money you know the place is in trouble , we got the feeling over 2 years ago that Dubai would hit the skids but we were even surprised at how much it has crashed and burned.

I worked for a Dubai based contractor who went from 50,000 employees to 15,000 in 2 years. The construction industry is on it's knees and the market is trashed , i don't see any recovery for at least 5 years , which is a shame as it's a good city to earn a living in but i'm afraid the glory days are over and when that happens it's time to move on.

Last edited by co durham boy; Feb 2nd 2011 at 4:27 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much money is actually left in Dubai these days?

It's odd. One never hears about the debt anymore.

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Honestly , iv never been on a project where i thought i would have at least 10 years work, it was that big and complex , i was planning on retiring after Jebel Ali. They just ran out of cash .

I'd worked on runways in Abu Dhabi , Hong Kong , Heathrow T5 and Manila and i'd never seen projected development like Jebel Ali.

When you're involved constructing Government backed infastructure projects and they run out of money you know the place is in trouble , we got the feeling over 2 years ago that Dubai would hit the skids but we were even surprised at how much it has crashed and burned.

I worked for a Dubai based contractor who went from 50,000 employees to 15,000 in 2 years. The construction industry is on it's knees and the market is trashed , i don't see any recovery for at least 5 years , which is a shame as it's a good city to earn a living in but i'm afraid the glory days are over and when that happens it's time to move on.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
How much money is actually left in Dubai these days?

It's odd. One never hears about the debt anymore.
the press are not allowed to report any negativity about Dubai
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

there are 1000's of trees out there at Tiger Woods waiting to be planted on the course, I think they finished 3 or 4 holes. There's also a massive "field" of lush grass waiting to be transplanted, wonder if they'll have a garage sale ?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:41 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
there are 1000's of trees out there at Tiger Woods waiting to be planted on the course, I think they finished 3 or 4 holes. There's also a massive "field" of lush grass waiting to be transplanted, wonder if they'll have a garage sale ?
could do with a few trees for the garden, where is it exactly?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.