Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Thursday afternoon thread

Thursday afternoon thread

Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thursday afternoon thread

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You gotta just stop Scamp. This dipping in and out of it does nothing to stop the addiction.
Exactly.

People who try this method often overcompensate by smoking even more on the weekends.

It really is dump the cigs and walk away and don't look back. Weaning yourself off is a good idea - in theory - and it can work for some. But for most it doesn't.

Scamp, you can continue with the smoke-free weeks and heavy smoking on weekends but give yourself a firm deadline. Pick the end of the month. Pick a last weekend and say that's it.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You gotta just stop Scamp. This dipping in and out of it does nothing to stop the addiction.
Yes and no.
Yes I have to just stop to actually stop.
No I don't want to fully stop just yet so this is a good way of cutting right back so when I do, I can.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Exactly.

People who try this method often overcompensate by smoking even more on the weekends.

It really is dump the cigs and walk away and don't look back. Weaning yourself off is a good idea - in theory - and it can work for some. But for most it doesn't.

Scamp, you can continue with the smoke-free weeks and heavy smoking on weekends but give yourself a firm deadline. Pick the end of the month. Pick a last weekend and say that's it.
Agree with the stopping date, totally.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, binge smoking is probably making your struggles harder. Your body gets used to no nicotine relativity quickly, its the habits and association that take time.

The problem is if you don't want to stop then you won't.

You need a memorable date. I did New years. A birthday or whatever will do. The reasoning its nice when you get a twinge to be able to quickly think.... I haven't had one for X months, I don't need one now.

Either that or start vaping. It's proven as by far the easiest way to drop cigs.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Yup, binge smoking is probably making your struggles harder. Your body gets used to no nicotine relativity quickly, its the habits and association that take time.

The problem is if you don't want to stop then you won't.

You need a memorable date. I did New years. A birthday or whatever will do. The reasoning its nice when you get a twinge to be able to quickly think.... I haven't had one for X months, I don't need one now.

Either that or start vaping. It's proven as by far the easiest way to drop cigs.
I'm not really trying to stop yet though, I'm cutting down so I can.
It's not easy but I'm getting on with it. Didn't smoke last night and went for a 3km run in the new kicks. Lovely.

A final date will come and it will be effective when it comes.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm not really trying to stop yet though, I'm cutting down so I can.
It's not easy but I'm getting on with it. Didn't smoke last night and went for a 3km run in the new kicks. Lovely.

A final date will come and it will be effective when it comes.
Feel good? They fit well? NOtice any difference?

I only did a shorty last night as I was watching the football and wanted to try out the new mega watch. Didn't head out until 10ish.

2.7km, 20 mins, 7.38 min/km, 143 bpm av heart rate..... not the best, pretty slow but in my defense I was doing intervals.

Will be out tonight for the usual 5.5 - 6km before the game at midnight.

Love new toys!
Attached Thumbnails Thursday afternoon thread-run-1.jpg   Thursday afternoon thread-run-1a.jpg  
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

I used a flight to here from the UK to get a head start on stopping smoking. The first week is a slog but I tried to focus on having a lot more energy and better sleep as worthwhile positives.

3-4 months in is the mental challenge when drinking as you're over all physical addictions but remember the strong associative pleasures. I went through everything from shisha, cigars, menthols and "I only smoke in the pub".

Ultimately none of it works and a completely clean break is the only real way. If I'm out now with non smokers, I barely register it. If I'm with a smoker, I'll start craving as the night goes on. A lot of the times I'll resist but occasionally I'll still have one, go dizzy and it's great reminder not to go back or even crave for the rest of the night.

Thankfully, I now look at people in smoking areas and so on at work and realise just what a ludicrous habit it is. Lighting up in Carre Four's car park before the big shop and another when you get out before loading up the car. As good as cig is with a pint or after a big roast that's the bulk of life as a smoker.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Feel good? They fit well? NOtice any difference?

I only did a shorty last night as I was watching the football and wanted to try out the new mega watch. Didn't head out until 10ish.

2.7km, 20 mins, 7.38 min/km, 143 bpm av heart rate..... not the best, pretty slow but in my defense I was doing intervals.

Will be out tonight for the usual 5.5 - 6km before the game at midnight.

Love new toys!
Good work.

New kicks were good. Fit nicely and feel more supportive and didn't get the same level of muscle problem as previously. Might be from being better rested? Maybe because I ran more? Maybe because I'm used to it more now? Who knows, but they were comfy, solid and felt good.

We did similar. 3km with splits of 7-8min/km. Fine for where I am at the moment. Ave HR of 162.
Felt good to run for longer and walk less. Impressed with the immediacy of fitness and how much more I can do very quickly after getting back into it.

Might do a shorter blast tonight of just constant jogging to see how that goes and back to jog/walk combos tomorrow.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Good work.

New kicks were good. Fit nicely and feel more supportive and didn't get the same level of muscle problem as previously. Might be from being better rested? Maybe because I ran more? Maybe because I'm used to it more now? Who knows, but they were comfy, solid and felt good.

We did similar. 3km with splits of 7-8min/km. Fine for where I am at the moment. Ave HR of 162.
Felt good to run for longer and walk less. Impressed with the immediacy of fitness and how much more I can do very quickly after getting back into it.

Might do a shorter blast tonight of just constant jogging to see how that goes and back to jog/walk combos tomorrow.
Keep at it mate
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Keep at it mate
Went out last night, didn't want to but did it.

3.42km
26min
5min run / 2 min walk x 4
(Time doesn't include warm up walk or last 2min walk or cool down walk)
7.5min / km averaged
162bpm ave HR

Felt ****ing great at the end of it.

Rest day today, got some studying to do tonight.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Went out last night, didn't want to but did it.

3.42km
26min
5min run / 2 min walk x 4
(Time doesn't include warm up walk or last 2min walk or cool down walk)
7.5min / km averaged
162bpm ave HR

Felt ****ing great at the end of it.

Rest day today, got some studying to do tonight.
That’s a great time. When you are running, what’s the pace?

You’re close to dropping the walking bits. You ran 70pct of it, about 2.5km. I’d be tempted to try a 2.5km run with no breaks, it’s not like you haven’t done that distance.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:29 am
Account Closed

That’s a great time. When you are running, what’s the pace?

You’re close to dropping the walking bits. You ran 70pct of it, about 2.5km. I’d be tempted to try a 2.5km run with no breaks, it’s not like you haven’t done that distance.
Middle bits were slower, plodding basically. Was boring running down by the canal.

First and last were quicker, along the road, busy, dodging cars and short markers to get past.

I have to manage my pace to not go crazy too quickly.

Next day plan I think is similar again, then the time running solidly starts to increase. Important thing is I can see improvement and the target of 40mins is on, 8min/kms are achievable.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Middle bits were slower, plodding basically. Was boring running down by the canal.

First and last were quicker, along the road, busy, dodging cars and short markers to get past.

I have to manage my pace to not go crazy too quickly.

Next day plan I think is similar again, then the time running solidly starts to increase. Important thing is I can see improvement and the target of 40mins is on, 8min/kms are achievable.
I like the canal but you are right its a bit dull. I use the bins (roughy 50m apart) to interval different paces - good if you are trying to increase speed.

Go at 10pm and you can be chased by Ollie.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:25 am
Account Closed

I like the canal but you are right its a bit dull. I use the bins (roughy 50m apart) to interval different paces - good if you are trying to increase speed.

Go at 10pm and you can be chased by Ollie.
From SZR bridge towards the sea it's dull, the other way it's not too bad I don't think because a touch more bendy.

10pm is late. I like to go home, change and get straight out or I won't I don't think.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From SZR bridge towards the sea it's dull, the other way it's not too bad I don't think because a touch more bendy.

10pm is late. I like to go home, change and get straight out or I won't I don't think.
Ah. I’ve never been that far. If I turn at the bridge it makes for a 10k from home. Some very mental challenging loops from the bridge to my house. But you run past bars and restaurants so interesting.

I’m always busy until about 10pm so it’s really my earliest time I can get out - I now really only walk the dog at that time as he’s too lazy to run.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's now Tuesday, you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.