Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

Old May 22nd 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Three cheers for the kiwi & aussie doing a bank runner

Originally Posted by mikeleavingoz
ha ha awesome. i used to work for westpac, and the number of mistakes drawing down is huge. but this is a huge amount.

about 5 yrs ago, i had $100K appear into my account when someones loan was mistakenly put into my account. i told the bank, and didnt even get a thankyou from the bank who made the error.
Was listening to Nova the other day in the car. They asked people to phone in who had received money out of the blue for no reason. One guy phoned in and said around 10 years ago, the bank deposited 10 grand into his account, he was only 17. He left it there for 3 months, didnt touch it and didnt say a thing. After that he decided since its been 3 months and they haven't contacted him, he'd spend it and did, on him and his mates going on a skiing trip to mount buller or somewhere. 10 years later and the bank has still not said a thing.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mikeleavingoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Was listening to Nova the other day in the car. They asked people to phone in who had received money out of the blue for no reason. One guy phoned in and said around 10 years ago, the bank deposited 10 grand into his account, he was only 17. He left it there for 3 months, didnt touch it and didnt say a thing. After that he decided since its been 3 months and they haven't contacted him, he'd spend it and did, on him and his mates going on a skiing trip to mount buller or somewhere. 10 years later and the bank has still not said a thing.
yeah i am an idiot
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

banks suck!
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Not the same. It was clearly an error.

-
True, but still...The issue is that of ethics, when someone opens a bank account the bank doesn't tell them to return money deposited by error...
Old May 23rd 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Confucius
True, but still...The issue is that of ethics, when someone opens a bank account the bank doesn't tell them to return money deposited by error...
I'd love to see where withdrawing money deposited into your account is a criminal offence by New Zealand law.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:20 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

I'd love to see where withdrawing money deposited into your account is a criminal offence by New Zealand law.
there's a judicious degree of common sense that can be applied here ("fraudulently obtaining advantage by deception" is the first that pops to mind, probably not quite right)

these people clearly and obviously knew that the money was deposited in error (prosecutions obligation to prove that the defendants were aware that they were not entitled to it - they're bankrupt, think that's an easy one) and, through conscious and deliberate actions sought to keep the funds obtained for their own benefit. (fraud by not notifying the bank of the error)

as for being charged $45 for a $0.50 withdrawal, vote with your feet. being charged a fee (however insane it may be) for a transaction is only tolerated so long as the customer remains and keeps paying. if you don't like the rules you've entered into, leave.

as for running off with $10m in the bank... that's clearly not yours... idiots...
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by still.unsure
as for being charged $45 for a $0.50 withdrawal, vote with your feet. being charged a fee (however insane it may be) for a transaction is only tolerated so long as the customer remains and keeps paying. if you don't like the rules you've entered into, leave.
Thats all well and good but the thing is, banks have you by the cock and balls by all charging the same fees and in this country you must have a bank account.

Its like the mandatroy bullshit of having to get a credit card to get a mortgage. Banks are dicks and deserve to be treated as such.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:39 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Thats all well and good but the thing is, banks have you by the cock and balls by all charging the same fees and in this country you must have a bank account.

Its like the mandatroy bullshit of having to get a credit card to get a mortgage. Banks are dicks and deserve to be treated as such.
have you tried a credit union?

yes, they all charge fees, yes there's a massive banking conspiracy all out to screw everyone left right and centre, sure. but if you're willing to look a little bit beyond the norm, am sure you'll find alternative products and services that are actually pretty reasonable.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
there's a judicious degree of common sense that can be applied here ("fraudulently obtaining advantage by deception" is the first that pops to mind, probably not quite right)

these people clearly and obviously knew that the money was deposited in error (prosecutions obligation to prove that the defendants were aware that they were not entitled to it - they're bankrupt, think that's an easy one) and, through conscious and deliberate actions sought to keep the funds obtained for their own benefit. (fraud by not notifying the bank of the error)

as for running off with $10m in the bank... that's clearly not yours... idiots...
Is it your money they ran off with???
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Confucius
Is it your money they ran off with???

no, not mine, not particularly fussed who's it is to be honest. just stupid people who see an immediate greedy opportunity ("ooh, $10m! i'll have that!") without any ability to stop and think for 30 seconds about the long term ramifications.

whether or not you want to get into the quasi-philosophical debate about "who's getting" hurt and all the "big bad nasty corporation" crap is a different matter. at the moment, it's a couple of people who are obviously in a hard place and have thought incredibly short-sightedly, grabbed the cash and scarpered, not committing even half a brain cell to "what's going to happen tomorrow"; hence... idiots...

(now, another idea might've been to document the error (p/copy bank statements et al), tell the bank about their SNAFU, then say, "what's it worth to you for me to shut my hole about all this then?" then go to the tabloids or some glorified bog roll of a press agency and sell the story. in that way, you legally play into the hands of sensationalist journalistic rubbish "ooh, big bad nasty banks! look at how stupid they are! blah blah blah", make some dosh, hopefully sort your affairs out instead of blowing it all on a fruit machine, and get to carry on. end result, bank looks like a dick, couple look like heroes AND they might score some dosh)

oh well...

(sorry, bloody w/end's over...)
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:05 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of which, I was considering leaving fitness first as I don't get to the gym as much and for AED 350 a month its a waste of money - but when I checked through my accounts, it seems that when I told them my new bank details 6 or 7 months ago they've never taken any money from me....

So should I stay or should I go now?
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10574119
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
speaking of which, I was considering leaving fitness first as I don't get to the gym as much and for AED 350 a month its a waste of money - but when I checked through my accounts, it seems that when I told them my new bank details 6 or 7 months ago they've never taken any money from me....

So should I stay or should I go now?
perhaps you can sell your story and make some dosh...
Old May 24th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

So... (sorry just trying to get my head around this concept ) if I inadvertently have my account overdrawn by 50 cents and the bank then charges me $45 and refuses to refund it due to the overdrawn amount of 50 cents, (putting aside terms and conditions because we all know terms and conditions exist for everything and we dont all agree with them) is that fair treatment? Should I just think to myself "oh ... its not benefitting the bank, its benefitting the shareholders and that makes it ok"?

Perhaps you went 50c overdrawn as a result of a "clerical error", and the bank should give you back the $45 in fees that resulted from the error…
Old May 24th 2009, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by admon
perhaps you can sell your story and make some dosh...
absolutely! just make sure to take the kids and a friend with the video camera and ...

(oh, sorry, too soon? )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.