Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:13 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The thread about ridiculous Dubai ideas

Originally Posted by flood2
I was last in Doha 12 months ago and it was still at a standstill. I asked a local consultant why it was stopped and he said that they were happy to leave it half built as it showed Dubai in a bad light! Not sure if that was true or not but i wouldn't be surprised if true
Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the update. I'm surprised they'd orefer to leave an eyesore on the Corniche/West Bay area just to stick two fingers up at Dubai!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the update. I'm surprised they'd orefer to leave an eyesore on the Corniche/West Bay area just to stick two fingers up at Dubai!
It doesn't suprise me in the least.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know why they're not spending money to have a high speed railway between Dubai and Abudhabi and possibly Al Ain?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:43 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
Anyone know why they're not spending money to have a high speed railway between Dubai and Abudhabi and possibly Al Ain?
Two reasons, the car dealerships are all owned by regular majlis members and they are already spending a ton on the freight railway
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Two reasons, the car dealerships are all owned by regular majlis members and they are already spending a ton on the freight railway
People don't just buy cars to commute between Dubai and AD thought, right?

Is it because of the Taxi owners?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 4:26 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
People don't just buy cars to commute between Dubai and AD thought, right?

Is it because of the Taxi owners?
no and taxis don't make that many journeys between the two. Most taxis here although run and managed by say dubai taxi are owned by poorer locals. Often the royals will hand out an operators license for say 10 taxis for which the poorer local gets the revenue from, a bit like a social security system.

but that commute adds a lot of miles to cars and writes off a good deal every year so its a solid business model to keep the trains and buses to a minimum on the road, add in the illegality of car pooling and theres a reason the futaims, al tayers, al fahims etc are rich.

Nobody wants to upset the 60 year single family monopoly on car dealerships. Sheiks keep rich locals happy, rich locals keep sheikhs in power and pay suitable homage on a regular basis. everybody that matters wins and the rest of us pay for it all.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Projects ????

I don`t know how many of these are real???
10 Amazing Dubai Expo 2020 Projects - City Highlights - ShortList Dubai
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: New Projects ????

Jewel of the Creek - don't know. Is the the huge Leightons job? If so, it's been moving non stop for a while now.

Museum of the Future - lol. No idea.

Deira Islands - no idea.

Al Habtoor City - yup, moving along nicely but has certainly slowed down. Focus is on the shorter of the towers in the picture.

MBR City - 1st bits are moving but think it will be hugely scaled back and take forever.

Theme park - this is going on as we speak.

Aladdin City - I hope not, it looks awful. No idea though.

Dubai Frame - yep, the two tall sides look almost done but have been quite slow recently I think, maybe they're trying to work out how to pour concrete for the top bit

BLuewaters - motoring along, loads happening. Base structure for the wheel up and most of the other projects around have been piled, slabs down I think.

Dubai Creek Harbour - lots of chat but not sure anyone has the cash for this. I know it's basically the old Lagoons stuff but really not sure.