Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Thought this would of been done by now

Thought this would of been done by now

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought this would of been done by now

Not to mention the fact that England wasn't always England - and also the angles are immigrants. :-)
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I think a lot of people are forgetting we are talking England and not Great Britain
Indeed I think you were, or you wouldn't have referred to England as being an island. Great Britain is the island, England is a part thereof, and so in itself it is not one. Still mistaking a little island like Great Britain as being yours is nothing compared to a couple of hundred years back when you thought a third of the world belonged to English.
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
or what about the bad things Empire did ?

Like taking over loads of other countries by force and profiting from it .
"With the cunning use of flags!"
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
And this is best done by naming a day after a Greek who slayed a mythical monster?

Is it just me, or has St George’s day slowly been given gradually greater prominence over the last decade or so as the English attempt to establish an identity and culture for themselves out with the comfy banner of ‘Great Britain’ as that now archaic misnomer dispels with increasing rapidity? *ducksforcover*
St George himself is simply a name and is really not that relevant, but like many posters you are choosing to miss the point.

Your statement "the English attempt to establish an identity and culture" is laughable. We have always had an identity and culture, but we don't always feel the need to parade it as many others do. The UK (I'm inclusive on this issue) has an incredibly interesting and colourful history and it's disingenious to suggest otherwise.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It is a bit of a childish argument to say this . Along the lines of what people would say to a complaining expat of " if you don't like it here , then leave ! " .

As I said in a previous post there are good things about England , and I did agree that many great individuals have come from England , but let us not forget that there are many bad things that have happened too .

I mentioned two things . Slavery and the Empire . Slavery was without doubt highly profitable for the UK as was the British Empire . These two things have defined so much about how Britain as a place as developed with negative consequences for millions of people .

As to where I would have liked to have been born if anywhere . A stupid question , without having any idea of the life you might of had .

If it makes you happy to tell yourself that England is a great place that's up to you . Personally , I've not lived there in 15 years and I have no intention of doing so any time soon.

Sorry if you find it hard to accept other points of view . I always thought tolerance of others was one of these 'British' values .
I think the problem is you just wanted to cause an argument from the outset....a trolling concierge? Bizarre.

I assume when you were younger you were told that if you have nothing nice / positive / constructive to say, you should just say nothing at all? No matter how much you try to make yourself sound better / more intelligent than me (or others) with your patronising tone, this advice would have been ideal before just blasting us all with negativity for no reason whatsoever.

Just relax, think about how lucky you are in life and smile. It'll feel barrel loads better.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being in Burma some years ago and talking to some old guys who could remember the British Rule , although they did say that they had better education under British rule ( which was probably more of a reflection on the military junta at the time) , ultimately for them , they wanted to be their own bosses and not have some red faced man from Manchester ruling them. And that is why they rejoiced in 1948 on gaining independence .
Oh FFS. Every country has done 'bad things', but today is about focussing in the positives for once. No one has denied that Britain has a history, but you need to put it into context.

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:07 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just relax, think about how lucky you are in life and smile. It'll feel barrel loads better.
Exactly. That British passport allows you to move around the world far easier than most and you* will largely be welcome.

*meaning by being British, not because of your sparkling and welcoming personality.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
Oh FFS. Every country has done 'bad things', but today is about focussing in the positives for once. No one has denied that Britain has a history, but you need to put it into context.

Don't....in a minute he'll start telling us that although his kids do have some plus points, he hates the fact that they shit themselves as babies, didn't clean up after themselves, have never done the washing up and damn well didn't always say please or thank you.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being in Burma some years ago and talking to some old guys who could remember the British Rule , although they did say that they had better education under British rule ( which was probably more of a reflection on the military junta at the time) , ultimately for them , they wanted to be their own bosses and not have some red faced man from Manchester ruling them. And that is why they rejoiced in 1948 on gaining independence .
So Burma is your example?? You are the same age as me so I assume you were taught History along similar lines. How many countries did we take by force and just profit from them? (ie Rape loot and pillage) The British Empire was formed from usually defeating the French or Spanish and taking their occupied countries the remainder were sparsely inhabited at the time the British arrived.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Critical self-analysis is a great English trait. We certainly have the ability to reflect upon ourselves and accept widespread public discourse about the merits of our society, to a much greater extent than most nations and cultures. Some outsiders do view this constant self-criticism to be a disadvantage but I’m not one of them. True jingoism is rare in Britain unlike, say, oh the Arab world where tribal insularity and mentality prevents people from openly criticising the society or culture or nation.

A day where we can celebrate the virtues and accomplishment of a country is not tantamount to ignoring its flaws or past misdeeds. I’d also say there’s also the disadvantage of focussing too closely on a country’s flaws that you forget they are greatly outweighed by the positives.

Slavery is a perfect example. Yes, Britain benefited from the slave trade. But, yes, Britain was the first major country to truly oppose the slave trade and spent much of the 19th century eradicating the slave trade, using its fleets and armies to stop the trade in Africa insomuch as possible. British mills may have benefited from cheap American cotton but British leadership and its people also refused to recognise the American South’s attempt at independence and workers in the northern mills held large scale marches in support of abolitionism.

It is a bit of a childish argument to say this . Along the lines of what people would say to a complaining expat of " if you don't like it here , then leave ! " .

As I said in a previous post there are good things about England , and I did agree that many great individuals have come from England , but let us not forget that there are many bad things that have happened too .

I mentioned two things . Slavery and the Empire . Slavery was without doubt highly profitable for the UK as was the British Empire . These two things have defined so much about how Britain as a place as developed with negative consequences for millions of people .

As to where I would have liked to have been born if anywhere . A stupid question , without having any idea of the life you might of had .

If it makes you happy to tell yourself that England is a great place that's up to you . Personally , I've not lived there in 15 years and I have no intention of doing so any time soon.

Sorry if you find it hard to accept other points of view . I always thought tolerance of others was one of these 'British' values .
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:12 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't....in a minute he'll start telling us that although his kids do have some plus points, he hates the fact that they shit themselves as babies, didn't clean up after themselves, have never done the washing up and damn well didn't always say please or thank you.
I Wonder what passports his children have??
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:13 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is you just wanted to cause an argument from the outset....a trolling concierge? Bizarre.

I assume when you were younger you were told that if you have nothing nice / positive / constructive to say, you should just say nothing at all? No matter how much you try to make yourself sound better / more intelligent than me (or others) with your patronising tone, this advice would have been ideal before just blasting us all with negativity for no reason whatsoever.

I'm not actually a concierge in this part of the forum , so I'm off duty as it were .

Just putting forward another point of view . It is a public forum .
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Critical self-analysis is a great English trait. We certainly have the ability to reflect upon ourselves and accept widespread public discourse about the merits of our society, to a much greater extent than most nations and cultures. Some outsiders do view this constant self-criticism to be a disadvantage but I’m not one of them. True jingoism is rare in Britain unlike, say, oh the Arab world where tribal insularity and mentality prevents people from openly criticising the society or culture or nation.

A day where we can celebrate the virtues and accomplishment of a country is not tantamount to ignoring its flaws or past misdeeds. I’d also say there’s also the disadvantage of focussing too closely on a country’s flaws that you forget they are greatly outweighed by the positives.

Slavery is a perfect example. Yes, Britain benefited from the slave trade. But, yes, Britain was the first major country to truly oppose the slave trade and spent much of the 19th century eradicating the slave trade, using its fleets and armies to stop the trade in Africa insomuch as possible. British mills may have benefited from cheap American cotton but British leadership and its people also refused to recognise the American South’s attempt at independence and workers in the northern mills held large scale marches in support of abolitionism.
Well said Ethos!
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I Wonder what passports his children have??
I couldn't care less. It was the first example that I thought of without wanting to spend too much time on a troll.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:15 am
Shark Fisherman

I couldn't care less. It was the first example that I thought of without wanting to spend too much time on a troll.
You made a good point mate,.Though as he has a warped view of our past I just wondered if he would take advantage of having his children have British Passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.