Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Thought this would of been done by now

Thought this would of been done by now

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought this would of been done by now

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
This is true but I would tend to think more about the bad things such as slavery and empire .
That's ridiculous. Every country has things in their past that are wrong, but Britain was the first to abolish slavery and not everything about the empire was bad.

Focussing on negatives, especially those of over a hundred years ago is a fruitless exercise. We learn, we improve, we move on.

As others have said, if you want to focus on slavery and empirem KSA is an interesting place to be. Slavery is alive and well there.

Are you sure you aren't related to Mentalist, our other bundle of laughs?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

To put in my tuppence....

I'm not proud to be British - but I am grateful. Its a great country to have been born in, at least relatively speaking. I'm with Nonthaburi I'm not into celebrating St Georges Day, just because other countries celebrate a national day doesn't mean I have to. Indeed another point in favour of England - we have the freedom to opt out of patriotic nonsense.

Instead of saying I'm proud to be the same nationality as a random historical figure (who was probably welsh) maybe we could all say that we're grateful or happy that we come from England's Green and Pleasant Land.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus

I'm not proud to be British - but I am grateful. Its a great country to have been born in, at least relatively speaking. I'm with Nonthaburi I'm not into celebrating St Georges Day, just because other countries celebrate a national day doesn't mean I have to. Indeed another point in favour of England - we have the freedom to opt out of patriotic nonsense.

Instead of saying I'm proud to be the same nationality as a random historical figure (who was probably welsh) maybe we could all say that we're grateful or happy that we come from England's Green and Pleasant Land.
In my view, that's pretty much what it's about - whatever you call it.

Being patriotic isn't about thinking you are better than other nationalities, but England, and GB generally, has contributed so much to the world - most of it positive - that there there is much to be proud of.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
In my view, that's pretty much what it's about - whatever you call it.

Being patriotic isn't about thinking you are better than other nationalities, but England, and GB generally, has contributed so much to the world - most of it positive - that there there is much to be proud of.
And this is best done by naming a day after a Greek who slayed a mythical monster?

Is it just me, or has St George’s day slowly been given gradually greater prominence over the last decade or so as the English attempt to establish an identity and culture for themselves out with the comfy banner of ‘Great Britain’ as that now archaic misnomer dispels with increasing rapidity? *ducksforcover*
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:44 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I can guarantee he was not English. As Meow says and I have earlier I celebrate today not for St George but for all great English Inventors, Explorers, Commanders, Chemists, Engineers who have helped discover and shape the world.

Not bad for a poxy cold little Island.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:45 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not true.

If you are bothered enough to argue and admit that you'll focus on the negatives of England, then why not surrender your passport and apply for nationality of a nation you deem good enough?

Incidentally, if you were 'lucky' enough to be born somewhere else, where would you prefer?
It is a bit of a childish argument to say this . Along the lines of what people would say to a complaining expat of " if you don't like it here , then leave ! " .

As I said in a previous post there are good things about England , and I did agree that many great individuals have come from England , but let us not forget that there are many bad things that have happened too .

I mentioned two things . Slavery and the Empire . Slavery was without doubt highly profitable for the UK as was the British Empire . These two things have defined so much about how Britain as a place as developed with negative consequences for millions of people .

As to where I would have liked to have been born if anywhere . A stupid question , without having any idea of the life you might of had .

If it makes you happy to tell yourself that England is a great place that's up to you . Personally , I've not lived there in 15 years and I have no intention of doing so any time soon.

Sorry if you find it hard to accept other points of view . I always thought tolerance of others was one of these 'British' values .
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That's ridiculous. Every country has things in their past that are wrong, but Britain was the first to abolish slavery and not everything about the empire was bad.

Focussing on negatives, especially those of over a hundred years ago is a fruitless exercise. We learn, we improve, we move on.

As others have said, if you want to focus on slavery and empirem KSA is an interesting place to be. Slavery is alive and well there.

Are you sure you aren't related to Mentalist, our other bundle of laughs?
just my own personal opinion , nothing more nothing less . I don't see a lot of great things there in the present right now either .
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

So because everyone else did / does it that makes it okay then . That seems a strange way of thinking to me .
You're a glass half empty kind of guy.....

I'm not alone !!
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Not bad for a poxy cold little Island.
Of course though, England is not an island.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:50 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned two things . Slavery and the Empire . Slavery was without doubt highly profitable for the UK as was the British Empire . These two things have defined so much about how Britain as a place as developed with negative consequences for millions of people .
And what about the good things the Empire did?? Education, Road and Rail, Laws not read from a 2000 year old book, Trade routes, Farming or Democracy??
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
You're a glass half empty kind of guy.....
In Saudi so my glass is actually empty !
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:51 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Of course though, England is not an island.
I think a lot of people are forgetting we are talking England and not Great Britain
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

And what about the good things the Empire did?? Education, Road and Rail, Laws not read from a 2000 year old book, Trade routes, Farming or Democracy??
Is this about to turn into a scene from The Life of Brian?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:58 am

or what about the bad things Empire did ?

Like taking over loads of other countries by force and profiting from it .

I remember being in Burma some years ago and talking to some old guys who could remember the British Rule , although they did say that they had better education under British rule ( which was probably more of a reflection on the military junta at the time) , ultimately for them , they wanted to be their own bosses and not have some red faced man from Manchester ruling them. And that is why they rejoiced in 1948 on gaining independence .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.