British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/those-think-speed-camera-trigger-speed-limit-659591/)

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 6:38 am

For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 
...here's how it works in the real world...

and how it should work here....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10632376

Brains1983 Mar 16th 2010 7:41 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 
do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

thought the limit was 120?

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 7:58 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8423123)
do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

thought the limit was 120?

I've noticed a LOT more mobile cameras about the place.
Trouble is - the little white RTA ?/ police? 4x4's parked to the side are a dead give-away.

ctfc Mar 16th 2010 8:01 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8423123)
do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

thought the limit was 120?

The Dubai cameras only flash at night, and not always then if there's enough light. They can measure average speed between cameras as well as spot speed so watch out...

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 8:09 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8423161)
The Dubai cameras only flash at night, and not always then if there's enough light. They can measure average speed between cameras as well as spot speed so watch out...

Here we go again....
They flash AT ANY TIME OF DAY.

and, while they may have the 'potential' to measure average speed, this is NOT the case for Dubai cameras currently.

I'm not doing this again.

ctfc Mar 16th 2010 8:58 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8423176)
Here we go again....
They flash AT ANY TIME OF DAY.

and, while they may have the 'potential' to measure average speed, this is NOT the case for Dubai cameras currently.

I'm not doing this again.

Apparently, there is some disagreement on flashing:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/308566679

"Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."

You may well be right on the average speed check but they can switch it on any time.

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 9:02 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 8423261)
Apparently, there is some disagreement on flashing:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/308566679

"Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."

You may well be right on the average speed check but they can switch it on any time.

Drive past one in your lunch break at 200kph and then tell me it doesn't flash;)

That statement in the national is rubbish.

Roadking Mar 16th 2010 9:14 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8423267)
Drive past one in your lunch break at 200kph and then tell me it doesn't flash;)

That statement in the national is rubbish.

Sorry, no it's not. We had this before and you were right; the cameras can be configured to flash but... there is no need for them to do so. When these cameras were recommended, a major part of the decision to opt for this type was that they do not need to flash. The powers that be wanted something that would penalise drivers, not educate - which is the purpose of flashing cameras.

The flash on these units can be turned off at any time, so if you see someone speed past a camera and it doesn't flash, don't assume it's not operational!

Bahtatboy Mar 16th 2010 9:18 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8423123)
do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

thought the limit was 120?

Yes they bloody do. 4k in fines last year proves it. However, there are a couple up which don't work--just after Maqta Bridge Dubai-bound, and the totally useless This Is Your Speed sign just before Maqta Bridge AD bound. I (allegedly) went past this at 180 and it said 113.

Haven't seen any mobile ones recently. There used to be one they'd move up and down Airport Rd between Maqta Bridge and Rd 19 ish--Nikon on a tripod in the central reserve. Haven't seen it lately, probably coz there's been roadworks.

Colleague got clocked by a police car doing 160 on the Dubai road in AD--3k on the spot fine which he didn't have on him, so they accompanied him to the nearest cashpoint. Otherwise they'd have confiscated his car. And there are unmarked police cars, too: certainly white Chevrolet Caprices, maybe others.

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 9:19 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8423292)
Sorry, no it's not. We had this before and you were right; the cameras can be configured to flash but... there is no need for them to do so. When these cameras were recommended, a major part of the decision to opt for this type was that they do not need to flash. The powers that be wanted something that would penalise drivers, not educate - which is the purpose of flashing cameras.

The flash on these units can be turned off at any time, so if you see someone speed past a camera and it doesn't flash, don't assume it's not operational!

I'm not arguing about what they 'can' do....i'm arguing about what they 'do' do.

They can also be configured to be turned upside down and shoved 6 feet into the desert sands.....doesn't mean they are.

Me: It's day time
RK: No - it's nightime.
Me: No - it's daytime - see the sun is up
RK: Yeah - but the sun can go down.

12 hours later: RK: See - I was right.

;-)

kittycat1 Mar 16th 2010 10:41 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."
Is a flash much use in fog???

Roadking Mar 16th 2010 11:11 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8423302)
I'm not arguing about what they 'can' do....i'm arguing about what they 'do' do.

They can also be configured to be turned upside down and shoved 6 feet into the desert sands.....doesn't mean they are.

Me: It's day time
RK: No - it's nightime.
Me: No - it's daytime - see the sun is up
RK: Yeah - but the sun can go down.

12 hours later: RK: See - I was right.

;-)

RK; That aint the sun ,it's a fewking spot light!

Point being, you won't know when they change the configuration until you get hit with the fine!

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 11:51 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8423520)
RK; That aint the sun ,it's a fewking spot light!

Point being, you won't know when they change the configuration until you get hit with the fine!

Yes - I get your point.

It's a bit like me saying they are set to flash at 80 on Al Khail Road.
ok - they don't right now....but you won't know that they've changed the config to 80kph until you get hit with the fine (or flash)....so better watch out!


I'm an argumentative cnut eh.

Roadking Mar 16th 2010 11:57 am

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8423596)
Yes - I get your point.

It's a bit like me saying they are set to flash at 80 on Al Khail Road.
ok - they don't right now....but you won't know that they've changed the config to 80kph until you get hit with the fine (or flash)....so better watch out!


I'm an argumentative cnut eh.

NO! NO! NO! FFS, Al Khail are set to invisible flash at 82, don't you get it???

Sod it, I'm going to Fibbers to get pissed!

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 12:02 pm

Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...
 

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8423616)
NO! NO! NO! FFS, Al Khail are set to invisible flash at 82, don't you get it???

Sod it, I'm going to Fibbers to get pissed!

Suggest you try the red lion....i'm already here at fibbers.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:47 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.