Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...

For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...

Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...

...here's how it works in the real world...

and how it should work here....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10632376
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that think the speed camera trigger is the speed limit...

do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

thought the limit was 120?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
do the speed cameras actually work here? I've seen people in Abu Dhabi doing what I guess is 170/180 kmh and not a flash out of the cameras. Dubai doesn't appear to be much different (albeit a more conservative 150/160).

I've noticed a LOT more mobile cameras about the place.
Trouble is - the little white RTA ?/ police? 4x4's parked to the side are a dead give-away.

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 16th 2010 at 8:13 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:01 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

The Dubai cameras only flash at night, and not always then if there's enough light. They can measure average speed between cameras as well as spot speed so watch out...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ctfc
The Dubai cameras only flash at night, and not always then if there's enough light. They can measure average speed between cameras as well as spot speed so watch out...
Here we go again....
They flash AT ANY TIME OF DAY.

and, while they may have the 'potential' to measure average speed, this is NOT the case for Dubai cameras currently.

I'm not doing this again.

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 16th 2010 at 8:14 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:58 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Here we go again....
They flash AT ANY TIME OF DAY.

and, while they may have the 'potential' to measure average speed, this is NOT the case for Dubai cameras currently.

I'm not doing this again.
Apparently, there is some disagreement on flashing:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/308566679

"Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."

You may well be right on the average speed check but they can switch it on any time.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ctfc
Apparently, there is some disagreement on flashing:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ONAL/308566679

"Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."

You may well be right on the average speed check but they can switch it on any time.
Drive past one in your lunch break at 200kph and then tell me it doesn't flash

That statement in the national is rubbish.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:14 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Drive past one in your lunch break at 200kph and then tell me it doesn't flash

That statement in the national is rubbish.
Sorry, no it's not. We had this before and you were right; the cameras can be configured to flash but... there is no need for them to do so. When these cameras were recommended, a major part of the decision to opt for this type was that they do not need to flash. The powers that be wanted something that would penalise drivers, not educate - which is the purpose of flashing cameras.

The flash on these units can be turned off at any time, so if you see someone speed past a camera and it doesn't flash, don't assume it's not operational!

Last edited by Roadking; Mar 16th 2010 at 9:14 am. Reason: sp
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they bloody do. 4k in fines last year proves it. However, there are a couple up which don't work--just after Maqta Bridge Dubai-bound, and the totally useless This Is Your Speed sign just before Maqta Bridge AD bound. I (allegedly) went past this at 180 and it said 113.

Haven't seen any mobile ones recently. There used to be one they'd move up and down Airport Rd between Maqta Bridge and Rd 19 ish--Nikon on a tripod in the central reserve. Haven't seen it lately, probably coz there's been roadworks.

Colleague got clocked by a police car doing 160 on the Dubai road in AD--3k on the spot fine which he didn't have on him, so they accompanied him to the nearest cashpoint. Otherwise they'd have confiscated his car. And there are unmarked police cars, too: certainly white Chevrolet Caprices, maybe others.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sorry, no it's not. We had this before and you were right; the cameras can be configured to flash but... there is no need for them to do so. When these cameras were recommended, a major part of the decision to opt for this type was that they do not need to flash. The powers that be wanted something that would penalise drivers, not educate - which is the purpose of flashing cameras.

The flash on these units can be turned off at any time, so if you see someone speed past a camera and it doesn't flash, don't assume it's not operational!
I'm not arguing about what they 'can' do....i'm arguing about what they 'do' do.

They can also be configured to be turned upside down and shoved 6 feet into the desert sands.....doesn't mean they are.

Me: It's day time
RK: No - it's nightime.
Me: No - it's daytime - see the sun is up
RK: Yeah - but the sun can go down.

12 hours later: RK: See - I was right.

;-)

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 16th 2010 at 9:30 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lt Col Saif Muhair al Mazroui, the acting director of the Dubai Police traffic department, said: “The new radars are digital and work by laser technology. They are highly sensitive and precise, and do not flash normally. During night time, the radars will only flash if there is very poor visibility on the roads; if it was foggy, for example."
Is a flash much use in fog???
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:11 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not arguing about what they 'can' do....i'm arguing about what they 'do' do.

They can also be configured to be turned upside down and shoved 6 feet into the desert sands.....doesn't mean they are.

Me: It's day time
RK: No - it's nightime.
Me: No - it's daytime - see the sun is up
RK: Yeah - but the sun can go down.

12 hours later: RK: See - I was right.

;-)
RK; That aint the sun ,it's a fewking spot light!

Point being, you won't know when they change the configuration until you get hit with the fine!

Last edited by Roadking; Mar 16th 2010 at 11:14 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

RK; That aint the sun ,it's a fewking spot light!

Point being, you won't know when they change the configuration until you get hit with the fine!
Yes - I get your point.

It's a bit like me saying they are set to flash at 80 on Al Khail Road.
ok - they don't right now....but you won't know that they've changed the config to 80kph until you get hit with the fine (or flash)....so better watch out!

I'm an argumentative cnut eh.

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 16th 2010 at 11:56 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:57 am
If I have to explain...

Yes - I get your point.

It's a bit like me saying they are set to flash at 80 on Al Khail Road.
ok - they don't right now....but you won't know that they've changed the config to 80kph until you get hit with the fine (or flash)....so better watch out!

I'm an argumentative cnut eh.
NO! NO! NO! FFS, Al Khail are set to invisible flash at 82, don't you get it???

Sod it, I'm going to Fibbers to get pissed!

Last edited by Roadking; Mar 16th 2010 at 11:59 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NO! NO! NO! FFS, Al Khail are set to invisible flash at 82, don't you get it???

Sod it, I'm going to Fibbers to get pissed!
Suggest you try the red lion....i'm already here at fibbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.