Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

For those going on Sunday night.....

For those going on Sunday night.....

Old May 18th 2011, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those going on Sunday night.....

(and if you're not - why not?? Yours truly is gutted that he has to be back in Blighty this weekend)

.......... the King of White Soul at his absolute best...........

PS - if he doesn't do this one, don't let him out until he does.........

Last edited by The Dean; May 18th 2011 at 8:16 pm. Reason: .
Old May 18th 2011, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those going on Sunday night.....

..... oh all right then....... have another one..........

Old May 19th 2011, 5:41 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I ask this question in all sincerity as I honestly don't know the answer. As JC will be 67yo tomorrow, can he still perform like he did in his glory days or are we simply being asked to fund yet another pension? Also, what sort of venue do they have at Al Badia? Indoor or outdoor? Any parking facilities? Finally, it's the same evening as the climax of the football season and only a few days after Hurts and Roxette, so not the best timing.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I ask this question in all sincerity as I honestly don't know the answer. As JC will be 67yo tomorrow, can he still perform like he did in his glory days or are we simply being asked to fund yet another pension? Also, what sort of venue do they have at Al Badia? Indoor or outdoor? Any parking facilities? Finally, it's the same evening as the climax of the football season and only a few days after Hurts and Roxette, so not the best timing.
Why does it matter to you as you won't be going anyway as the tickets are more than Dhs 20?

Joe Cocker can still sing and is a decent bloke who cares about giving a good show. Often those with the experience give the best performances, just like Tom Jones in AD last year. (Also there will be screens up for the football at the event.)
Old May 19th 2011, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
Why does it matter to you as you won't be going anyway as the tickets are more than Dhs 20?

Joe Cocker can still sing and is a decent bloke who cares about giving a good show. Often those with the experience give the best performances, just like Tom Jones in AD last year. (Also there will be screens up for the football at the event.)
Quite.

If they were to double the price, he'd still be worth it - one of the very few you can say that about.

He's 67? The Rocket Man and the Stones are in their sixties, and McCartney gave a superb live show last year....... they know their strengths and weaknesses, and they are out there doing it because they know it's what the people want. I remember all the 'rave reviews' on the Bored after Faithless a few weeks ago......... well, this is REAL music.

Last edited by The Dean; May 19th 2011 at 9:21 am. Reason: w
Old May 19th 2011, 9:51 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

not really into JC, but the advert that has been on TV for this gig is awesome.

I love the 'lord lift us up where we belong' song, what a great singer.

Im not going, but those who do, enjoy.
Old May 19th 2011, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

If anybody has a spare ticket going for Dhs25 please let me know. I would love to prove know-all Meow wrong.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If anybody has a spare ticket going for Dhs25 please let me know. I would love to prove know-all Meow wrong.
You want to pay Dhs 25 for a ticket with a face value of Dhs 300?

Cheapskate.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:36 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

He did 90 mins and got better as night went on but really struggled to get his breath at times, could have been the heat but after about 4 songs he did say :Im sorry I'm really struggling tonight: but he battled on and the crowd loved it, he did all the favourites and all in all not a bad night, would I go see him again, no, but Im glad I got to see him on his first appearance in Dubai. This was the first gig of a 40+ gig tour, can he perform like he did, no of course he can't, it was an outdoor concert and it was quite humid, he was soaked to the skin!parking facilities were pretty good, stayed till end of concert and got away within 10 minutes. Good venue for March/April, and dare I say well organised.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rowell
He did 90 mins and got better as night went on but really struggled to get his breath at times, could have been the heat but after about 4 songs he did say :Im sorry I'm really struggling tonight: but he battled on and the crowd loved it, he did all the favourites and all in all not a bad night, would I go see him again, no, but Im glad I got to see him on his first appearance in Dubai. This was the first gig of a 40+ gig tour, can he perform like he did, no of course he can't, it was an outdoor concert and it was quite humid, he was soaked to the skin!parking facilities were pretty good, stayed till end of concert and got away within 10 minutes. Good venue for March/April, and dare I say well organised.
I also read his own comments on the internet. Who on earth decided to put him (and the crowd) in an outdoor venue in this heat and oppressive humidity wants shooting. At least Roxette's organisers had the sense to put them in an air-conditioned concert hall. Some of these organisers are real cheapskates.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:15 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I also read his own comments on the internet. Who on earth decided to put him (and the crowd) in an outdoor venue in this heat and oppressive humidity wants shooting. At least Roxette's organisers had the sense to put them in an air-conditioned concert hall. Some of these organisers are real cheapskates.
Don't the agents of these artists have access to BBC weather? It's not hard to check the average climate in a place you haven't been to and then drop the organisers saying it has to be indoors or at least something has to be done with the stage to keep it cool or we're not coming?

Or is the events industry just devoid of common sense?

N.