British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Thinking...."I can't be the only one" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/thinking-i-cant-only-one-921921/)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 10th 2019 7:04 am

Thinking...."I can't be the only one"

I can't be the only one....ever get that thought? Had it yesterday and this morning....went to Reform in the Lakes yesterday. Lots of people rave about it but I thought it was pretty average at very, very best.

Expensive, SWAMPED with kids and dogs, service took a life time, roast was overpriced and not particularly big or hot, whole place felt grubby and I can't fathom why so many seem to think it is fantastic?

reddiva Feb 10th 2019 7:45 am

Re: Thinking...."I can't be the only one"

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12634941)
I can't be the only one....ever get that thought? Had it yesterday and this morning....went to Reform in the Lakes yesterday. Lots of people rave about it but I thought it was pretty average at very, very best.

Expensive, SWAMPED with kids and dogs, service took a life time, roast was overpriced and not particularly big or hot, whole place felt grubby and I can't fathom why so many seem to think it is fantastic?

I do not rate the food and it is expensive. Last time we were there we had sausage and mash
Mash was freezing cold so we sent it back, it came back luke warm at best so it had to go back again 120aed for a few potatoes and a couple of sausages. mask and stripey jumper comes to mind. Plus, it was full of collar up, polo shirt wearing knobber ex pats and their feral offspring. Not my kind of place at all

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 10th 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12634958)
I do not rate the food and it is expensive. Last time we were there we had sausage and mash
Mash was freezing cold so we sent it back, it came back luke warm at best so it had to go back again 120aed for a few potatoes and a couple of sausages. mask and stripey jumper comes to mind. Plus, it was full of collar up, polo shirt wearing knobber ex pats and their feral offspring. Not my kind of place at all

Thank goodness for that, when some of the people we were with said how great it was I thought I was going mad. 50dhs for a pint is ridiculous.

co durham boy Feb 10th 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12634975)
Thank goodness for that, when some of the people we were with said how great it was I thought I was going mad. 50dhs for a pint is ridiculous.

I'm with you on this one , thought it was pretty poor to be honest when we went , food was bang average and service pretty poor .

Boomhauer Feb 10th 2019 7:53 pm

That's the feeling I get when on beach vacations , eateries and the movies. Many places that people rave about (beach vacations) just seems ho-hum to me. Same with movies.

jam25mack Feb 11th 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12634941)

Yup I'm with you.

Went once and haven't been back.

Its the parents that love it as they can let little Tarquin, Farquah and Phillipe off the leash to cause havoc and annoy the sh!t out of everyone while they get on it with the other parents prior to driving home.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 11th 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12635356)
prior to driving home.

I've noticed this in lots of parent friendly places. :eek:

TGFKASE Feb 11th 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12634958)

Ditto...

Went last Thursday. Same collar-up cock-wombles, high-priced, mediocre-at-best grub..

First time back since it was the Lakes Club, and the new Sri Lankan manager was overheard telling a fellow sub-continent chap that he was there to get rid of the white expats..

Cue a mass walk out of everyone there to watch the footie...

Some years ago now, tbh....

DOHDUBMAN Feb 13th 2019 9:41 am

i had the same thought when i tried Nusr-Et. I couldn't believe so much people where falling for the gimmick. It was one of the most average steaks i've ever eaten.

jam25mack Feb 13th 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12635363)
I've noticed this in lots of parent friendly places. :eek:

Totally. The amount of folk who drink drive (to excess not just a cheeky pint although I realise that still counts) is ridiculous.

One of my mates who grew up here used to do it religiously until he got hounded for it.

Arnold S Feb 13th 2019 10:33 am

No, far from it. Only been a few times but each time had plates coming out at random times, random portion sizes, over or under cooked food. I think it does well because people are lazy and the lack of immediate competition. The play area is good for the kids though and if it annoys moany internet gits then all the better.

Millhouse Feb 14th 2019 6:00 am

I've never been... and probably never will

Nusret is great - steak can only ever get so good (although I do love it) but I liked the theatre at Nusret. Outrageously expensive though - cheaper to fly to Istanbul and go to the real one.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 14th 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12636863)
I've never been... and probably never will

Nusret is great - steak can only ever get so good (although I do love it) but I liked the theatre at Nusret. Outrageously expensive though - cheaper to fly to Istanbul and go to the real one.

True about steak, but goodness me there are some fabulous ones to be had.
I think the rib eye at Weslodge in JW Marriott can be very, very, very, very good. Smothered in chimichurri. Holy sweet mary I want.

Millhouse Feb 14th 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12636878)
True about steak, but goodness me there are some fabulous ones to be had.
I think the rib eye at Weslodge in JW Marriott can be very, very, very, very good. Smothered in chimichurri. Holy sweet mary I want.

My friend bought some amazing rib eye the other day (not from Prime, somewhere "better") and we did it on the BBQ. We did the BBQ like a science experience, timing things to the second, and it turned out to be probably one of the best steaks I've ever had.

I bloody love steak.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 17th 2019 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12636909)
My friend bought some amazing rib eye the other day (not from Prime, somewhere "better") and we did it on the BBQ. We did the BBQ like a science experience, timing things to the second, and it turned out to be probably one of the best steaks I've ever had.

I bloody love steak.

I went full tilt on a steak recently. Seared very briefly on each side, then in the oven, kept away from the hot spot I know about (cheap oven), temperature checked and thumb tested (here), the whole shaboodle. Even timed it so the steaks could rest for a full 8 minutes after. Juicy and squash-with-your-tongue-against-the-roof-of-your-mouth-tender.

BUT. It's a fair bit of faff. Easy enough to bang under the grill and turn once. Slice, serve on top of a salad.

Like you, one of the best. It wasn't expensive either, it was the spinneys rib eye that comes about 30ish each.