Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Things you do HERE, that you would never do THERE.

Things you do HERE, that you would never do THERE.

Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Things you do HERE, that you would never do THERE.

Originally Posted by mission
what really eff's me off is when you are in the lift and it's your turn to get out and the doors open, the people waiting to get in just barge in without giving you time or room to exit the lift....that seriously irritates the eff out of me.....
Constantly and without flinching just continue to get in their way. Just imagine you're trying to walk around someone, I go right, you go right, we pass by. But instead of trying to get by, try to get in their way so they can't get in.

Wonderful few seconds of fun. When the inevitable 'excuse me' comes, repeat it at them 'no, excuse me'. Eventually you're allowed to just point out that none of this is necessary if you just wait for people to get out of the lift.

I've only seen this through once to the end. Felt amazing.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Snap. Sometimes it's impossible.

I get bored of being told to 'let it go, it doesn't matter' when it's just rude and really easy to tell someone they're being a ****.
When we lived in Dubai and Doha it drove me mad but I would generally just seethe quietly and let them get on with it. Once when we were queuing to get in some World Fair thing this local man just brazenly went up to the window reserved for women and started demanding this and that. My wife, usually mild-mannered, went up to him and remonstrated, but this guy just ignored her and waved her away. I tried to hide behind my kids. Yes, I'm a coward...
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I had some prick have a go at me this morning....... I was going round a roundabout (with my indicator on) coming out of my development and this knob went to pull out in front of me. I beeped, swerved and stopped. He was going mental. Got out and gave him a lesson on the finer point of who has the 'right or way' on a roundabout.... eventually he realised he was is the wrong and just kept repeating good morning to me..... until I had finished and walked off.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I had some prick have a go at me this morning....... I was going round a roundabout (with my indicator on) coming out of my development and this knob went to pull out in front of me. I beeped, swerved and stopped. He was going mental. Got out and gave him a lesson on the finer point of who has the 'right or way' on a roundabout.... eventually he realised he was is the wrong and just kept repeating good morning to me..... until I had finished and walked off.
i get irate and do suffer from road rage...but then I poo my pants if the car i've just had an encounter with stops and pulls up, even if i am in the right...i'm always paranoid about it being a local and hence taking me to task
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I thought first to the junction has right of way ....is that not the rule here
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:58 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
Oh, I thought first to the junction has right of way ....is that not the rule here
The rule is that the more important you think you are, the more right of way you have.

Being first at a junction has nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:03 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

My wife gets very angry frequently, a lot more than me. Most often in supermarkets. Had a lot of problems with people there.
Once she was physically attacked for not covering her face.

Only recently, she had to shout at the female cashier in the family section, who was sitting cross legged on the chair, one hand playing on the phone, the other scanning the items and literally throwing them down the checkout. She got an earful like she'd never had before and her hand was literally shaking as she gave the change.

I'm all for women working in Saudi, but I too have noticed a certain over enthusiasm for chucking your shopping down the counter.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
i get irate and do suffer from road rage...but then I poo my pants if the car i've just had an encounter with stops and pulls up, even if i am in the right...i'm always paranoid about it being a local and hence taking me to task
I'm normally the same and have had a few incidents over the years, most notedly one where I had a local in Sharjah chase me and try and run me off the road several times. After 10 mins of something out of Police, Camera, Action I took a junction turn very late and managed to lose him..... mega brown pants moment!

This morning tho I was just so peeved at this dickheads anger and with him being in the wrong I was out without thinking about it.

Originally Posted by Pongo
Kinda. Normally I have the right of way!

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
The rule is that the more important you think you are, the more right of way you have.

Being first at a junction has nothing to do with it.
I love annoying the overly aggressive yokels by not instantly bowing to their demands.... I just generally take my time and do everything super slowly.... pass the car on the right slowly, pull into the right 1 degree off parallel slowly.... just annoying shit really.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I love annoying the overly aggressive yokels by not instantly bowing to their demands.... I just generally take my time and do everything super slowly.... pass the car on the right slowly, pull into the right 1 degree off parallel slowly.... just annoying shit really.
You're talking my language.

Always, always use a bit of random braking when someone is too close and then when that's annoyed them, let them get their shiny, spotlessly clean motor close again and hold the windscreen wipers on for ages. Take that ****.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're talking my language.

Always, always use a bit of random braking when someone is too close and then when that's annoyed them, let them get their shiny, spotlessly clean motor close again and hold the windscreen wipers on for ages. Take that ****.

I do the windscreen wiper thing too. It makes me feel like my car is peeing on theirs..
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

I had one guy swerve across 3 lanes and back, almost crashing about half a dozen times, all so he could get in front of me and squirt me back.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I did that once.

Dude jumped in front of me and stepped on his brakes. And again. And again.

Originally Posted by al dente
I do the windscreen wiper thing too. It makes me feel like my car is peeing on theirs..
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by al dente
It's wonderful.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I did that once.

Dude jumped in front of me and stepped on his brakes. And again. And again.

I do a bit of left foot braking. Did it to an F150, guy was so close I was actually scared. Couldn't move right as a lane full of cars, couldn't speed because cameras and it's daft to be forced to. So I did the least safe thing possible and pumped the brake with my left peg. Never seen a guy go from arrogant to terrified to sheer rage so quickly. Pulled over in the next gap and was wetting myself as he went by losing his shit.

****ing *****. Want to drive that close and cause a crash? Well let's give it a go.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

This is me (kinda)

Oh and what really gets them when they're totally fuming and incandescent with rage. Blow a kiss to him - then they're apoplectic.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

why wind them up? I never really understood this. I'll slow down a bit but that's the extent of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.