Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Things people tell you are true, but you arent so sure..

Things people tell you are true, but you arent so sure..

Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:51 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things people tell you are true, but you arent so sure..

Call me a cynic but .......

How about:

"With my worldy goods I thee endow"

(ie "I will take you for every penny I can")

and

"Til death us do part"

(ie "Yeah right")
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:10 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
@ weasal - have we met? lol
hmm not sure..did you believe me or not
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

like i said- Im gullible
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:34 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if it was after my 4 month stint in KSA, you'd have the skin of a newborn again.

jesus whats in my head these days ..sorry people

Last edited by weasel central; Nov 20th 2010 at 10:35 am. Reason: ..
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:36 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
ukecadet- perhaps you could share the story with us?
Here goes
We were sailing from Florida to Puerto Rico.2am ish we were told by the officer of the watch that we were entering the triangle.
This was the days when a ship was steered from a wheelhouse.
The wheelhouse was a windowless compartment down inside the ship with a big old round brass wheel that you could swing around.
The officer of the watch is on the bridge "where the windows are"and he relays compass bearings to yours truly to steer the ship and keep her on course.

Apologies to any mariners,just trying to keep it simple for the landlubbers.

When the 3 of us who were on watch heard that we had entered the triangle we all started doing the Twilight Zone theme and having a laugh.
When your on the wheel you constantly have to make adjustments, steer a bit to the left or a bit to right to keep on course.
We had been in there for about 20 min when the gyro compass started acting peculiar.
The gyro is on the wall in front of the helm,it's like a piece tape with degrees on it and it moves back and forth,keep it still on the given bearing and all's well.
The gyro started to move left slowly then gained momentum.At first I started to follow it to keep the ship on course, then realised something was wrong because of the speed it was running away from me.Had I have followed it we would have done a sharp 360.
There was an alarm on the compass for failures but it didn't go off .I reported to bridge what was going on and was told to use number 2 gyro which was the backup.
Almost straight away it failed and then then alarms started going off.
A very nervous sounding officer of the watch piped down "engines to slow and wheel to midships"
Putting it to midships is a bit like taking your hands off the driving wheel and letting her settle.
It was very tense and the jokes had stopped.
Well we rolled around in a relatively calm sea for what seemed like an eternity,eventually everything came back online.We made our way to San Juan and that's it!!!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:59 am

SugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kim67
You're obviously trolling and there are people on this board who have children of their own and family members with Downs Syndrome so I think you should stop going down this line. If you really did have a niece or nephew with Downs, you would know that it is a Chromosomal disorder rather than a genetic disorder and is not inherited.
Exactly! Well said.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

frenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nicefrenergy is just really nice

Not sure if this should go in here or in the have you ever nicked anything......

Here it is, about 25 years ago my then fifteen year old brother robbed my then 23 year old brothers car. He got into a race and was promptly arrested after the two cars collided.

At the time my 23 year old brother was a Police officer and my fifteen year old brother happened to get arrested by the neighbouring Police force. As nice Police officers they tried to contact 23 year old and sort the matter out but could not therefore had to call my father and hence arrest 15 year old for driving without a licence, driving without insurance etc etc etc.

Father turns up at Police station with a cutlass, yes a cutlass and attempts to kill 15 year old brother for bringing shame on the family yet again.

Father gets arrested also locked up. Poor Mother gets home from work at 9 p.m. and has to go and get her husband and son out of cells.

Mother cannot drive so has to go on the bus and sort the situation out.

Could not make it up if tried to.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenergy
Not sure if this should go in here or in the have you ever nicked anything......

Here it is, about 25 years ago my then fifteen year old brother robbed my then 23 year old brothers car. He got into a race and was promptly arrested after the two cars collided.

At the time my 23 year old brother was a Police officer and my fifteen year old brother happened to get arrested by the neighbouring Police force. As nice Police officers they tried to contact 23 year old and sort the matter out but could not therefore had to call my father and hence arrest 15 year old for driving without a licence, driving without insurance etc etc etc.

Father turns up at Police station with a cutlass, yes a cutlass and attempts to kill 15 year old brother for bringing shame on the family yet again.

Father gets arrested also locked up. Poor Mother gets home from work at 9 p.m. and has to go and get her husband and son out of cells.

Mother cannot drive so has to go on the bus and sort the situation out.

Could not make it up if tried to.
"Sort the situation out"?

They didn't charge your dad? And they let him and his intended victim go home together???

No, you couldn't make it up - or not very well, at any rate.