British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Things to do in the UAE before you leave (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/things-do-uae-before-you-leave-715773/)

kittycat1 May 5th 2011 8:32 am

Things to do in the UAE before you leave

I've been here long enough that I should have done a bit more than I have so am starting a strict regimne to get off my ass and do the things I really should do whilst I am still here, so I'm off to see the Sheik Zayed Mosque next weekend, am thinking a weekend in Egypt to see the pyramids is required (its safe there now isnt it?) so what else should I definately aim to do- bare in mind most of these things will be done on my own so no romantic hotel trips are required. :D

so what are the must do things of the UAE and Middle East?

shiva May 5th 2011 8:57 am

Re: Things to do in the UAE before you leave

Off the top of my head.
Have you been to Hatta fort, Hatta pools, trip into the mountains round Hatta ray and filli, camped in the desert, camped on the beach, visited al ain, gone to the old date farm in al ain, gone up jebel hafeet, visited rak, gone to rak museum, gone to fujirah swum in the Indian ocean, blue souq in Sharjah, seen the dunes in Liwa, gone to the fish souq in Dubai, wandered round Deira souq area and got lost, gone to the musandam, hili fort in al ain, watch a camel race,

Tons of stuff will post more after ive had a think

Bahtatboy May 5th 2011 8:58 am

Have you been taken up the Burj Khalifa?

Bigtaff May 5th 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9344549)
Have you been taken up the Burj Khalifa?

I took her up the Jebel Hafeet once but she wouldn't let me near the Burj :rofl:

kittycat1 May 5th 2011 9:59 am

:rofl: :o

ctfc May 5th 2011 10:19 am

3am shawarma at Al Mallah in Dhiyafa after a night out at the Iranian night club in Deira

MataHari May 5th 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9344653)
3am shawarma at Al Mallah in Dhiyafa after a night out at the Iranian night club in Deira

ah...is that were you go after the quiz...

lionheart May 5th 2011 10:49 am

Have you done the Valley of the Kings and the incredible Temples of Luxor yet? You can fly there from Dubai for only a few hundred bob.

Blue Cat May 5th 2011 11:01 am

I want to go to Jordan, and Lebanon before I leave and stay in the Burj Al Arab at some point as well.

co durham boy May 5th 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9344511)
I've been here long enough that I should have done a bit more than I have so am starting a strict regimne to get off my ass and do the things I really should do whilst I am still here, so I'm off to see the Sheik Zayed Mosque next weekend, am thinking a weekend in Egypt to see the pyramids is required (its safe there now isnt it?) so what else should I definately aim to do- bare in mind most of these things will be done on my own so no romantic hotel trips are required. :D

so what are the must do things of the UAE and Middle East?

Beruit i'd recommend , great city , good bars , good restaurants and pretty nice people i found . Probably better with friends but still a good place to visit .

OleJanx May 5th 2011 11:28 am

Petra in Jordan is fantastic, and the Jordanians a very friendly bunch.

Tillybean May 5th 2011 12:10 pm

Dune bashing - driving yourself is so much fun - with BBQ/shisha afterwards.*

Mussandan gets my vote - do the dolphin cruise.

*I belong to AD4x4 club and would be happy to have you along as a passenger if you are interested.

Autonomy May 5th 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9344741)
Beruit i'd recommend , great city , good bars , good restaurants and pretty nice people i found . Probably better with friends but still a good place to visit .

All true - also worth going to Jeita Grotto, Baalbeck & Byblos....

Millhouse May 5th 2011 1:20 pm

I have some dolphin cruise tickets going spare...

Hello.Kitty May 5th 2011 5:30 pm

there's also the RTA "ferry" that leaves from very near to Marina Mall at 11h every Friday and goes all the way along the coast and deposits you in Dubai Creek. It's one-way only, for some reason, but it'd be quite nice and is far, far cheaper than chartering a yacht (which is well worth doing to see the Marina coastline) - 50aed or 75 if you want Gold Class.

I would also suggest Damascus, but, er... not at the moment. So, so glad we went last year!