Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The thing that worries me is...........

The thing that worries me is...........

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The thing that worries me is...........

........... that everyone will focus on Green's error, and (wrongly) assume that apart from that, everything is fine.

It isn't.

SWP just isn't international class, Milner was clearly still unwell, King is clearly still carrying an injury.... and it was a generally weak performance against a very ordinary USA side. We needed Theo Walcott's pace and inventiveness.... er.... hang on..... oh yes - not available.

Any one of about ten teams at this WC would have beaten USA by three goals last night. Thank God for Gerrard; pity more of his mates didn't follow his example.

Last edited by The Dean; Jun 13th 2010 at 4:11 am. Reason: e
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:20 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The thing that worries me is...........

Originally Posted by The Dean
........... that everyone will focus on Green's error, and (wrongly) assume that apart from that, everything is fine.

It isn't.

SWP just isn't international class, Milner was clearly still unwell, King is clearly still carrying an injury.... and it was a generally weak performance against a very ordinary USA side. We needed Theo Walcott's pace and inventiveness.... er.... hang on..... oh yes - not available.

Any one of about ten teams at this WC would have beaten USA by three goals last night. Thank God for Gerrard; pity more of his mates didn't follow his example.
agree, you guys suck. i mean really suck. anyone who actually thinks England has a chance need sectioned.

Rooney?? posted missing
Heskey?? actually wasnt bad
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

such is my level of interest I do not even know the score yet.

guess I need to look at the news.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
such is my level of interest I do not even know the score yet.

guess I need to look at the news.
Try Googling "Green" and "My mum could have saved it"............... I still think he's a good keeper, and as I said above, we have bigger problems than him.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:55 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone suggested at half time that Capello should bring Rooney on for the second half, such was his influence. As for SWP, we should have taken Ashley Young or Adam Johnson to the tournament as true left wingers. Playing SWP out of position simply won't work. Although I feel that Joe Hart is our best goalkeeper, we should persevere with Robert Green as he probably made fewer mistakes than any other England player on the night. Sadly a goalie rarely gets second chances. Hopefully, we should still qualify but need to finish top of the group to avoid meeting Germany in the first knock-out round.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

It isn't.

Absolutely agree - the issue is that in 90 minutes against at best mid-level opposition we could only score one goal. In that situation, you will always be a hostage to fortune. Had we scored three, Green's 'error' would have been irrelevant. It could easily have gone 2 - 1 USA if the luck had rolled their way.

The Brazilians will have had a good nights sleep...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

From my limited understanding of football, isn't this how we always enter the worldcup/ euromillions (or whatever it is called). e.g. utterly shite performances for a few games before stepping it up when we are really under pressure. Hardly warrants mentioning.

The only good thing about the world cup is the Vindaloo song by Fat Les.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Someone suggested at half time that Capello should bring Rooney on for the second half, such was his influence. As for SWP, we should have taken Ashley Young or Adam Johnson to the tournament as true left wingers. Playing SWP out of position simply won't work. Although I feel that Joe Hart is our best goalkeeper, we should persevere with Robert Green as he probably made fewer mistakes than any other England player on the night. Sadly a goalie rarely gets second chances. Hopefully, we should still qualify but need to finish top of the group to avoid meeting Germany in the first knock-out round.
It's not certain that Germany will finish top in my view - that looks a wide open group and Serbia will take some beating (after the summer transfer frenzy that will follow the tournament, their back four will all be at top European clubs). Australia are always competitive (and were robbed of a possible QF place four years ago by an outrageous penalty decision). Ghana? You never know...........
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't.

um you said England would be fine, and I said it would be a draw!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:43 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It was all completely predictable, as is the hysteria following the result. We always start these things slowly. In fact, we should have won easily, but for a few bad final balls and some poor finishing. Get Joe Cole in the side!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Just read a quote from Robert Green on the BBC Sport website:

"You don't prepare for making a great save, you don't prepare mentally for having a perfect game, you prepare for making mistakes and it is bouncing back from those mistakes which is the important part."

So - his preparation involves the anticipation that he'll make mistakes, then bouncing back from them? I think I'd prefer him to prepare for a perfect game or even making one or two perfect saves.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
um you said England would be fine, and I said it would be a draw!!!!
By the standards of England's performance, a draw is fine...........