Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The thin line between nice and annoying...

The thin line between nice and annoying...

Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The thin line between nice and annoying...

Originally Posted by Confucius
Also, what is the moral and ethical stance on me beating the shit out of my building neightbour, who, in addition to never saying hello or even smiling in any direction and abusing the bldg security, doesn't even have any ettiquette to at least let you in or out of the door and just barges in...
You have a moral and ethical OBLIGATION to beat the sh.it outta him.....can't stand people like that and there's a lot of them here.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
You have a moral and ethical OBLIGATION to beat the sh.it outta him.....can't stand people like that and there's a lot of them here.
Lovely...Will wait the next time I see him...
Shall i tell him that you said "hello"???
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely...Will wait the next time I see him...
Shall i tell him that you said "hello"???
certainly.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
certainly.
Goodie gumdrops...It's so sweet to know that the mafia mentality still exist with the new generation...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what is the moral and ethical stance on me beating the shit out of my building neightbour, who, in addition to never saying hello or even smiling in any direction and abusing the bldg security, doesn't even have any ettiquette to at least let you in or out of the door and just barges in...
perhaps he just doesn't like you...it happens, deal with it...least he's not being "nice"...

MM, xx
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:26 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I get that a lot when exiting the lifts in my building...when you arrive at ground level...people try to get into the lift before you have a chance to get out !!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
perhaps he just doesn't like you...it happens, deal with it...least he's not being "nice"...

MM, xx
There's a thin line between nice and courteous...Nice people are always courteous...But not all courteous people are nice...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing is to avoid direct personal involvement in a beating-the-shit-out-of situation.............

Luckily my two brothers-in-law, who like a good excuse to visit the Rattle Sn.... er, I mean Dubai, are available to perform such duties on your behalf.

Since they make Sylvester Stallone look like an Oxfam appeal poster, it may be the solution you are looking for...........
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thin line between nice and courteous...Nice people are always courteous...But not all courteous people are nice...
i don't agree...but then i'm too nice to argue with you...

MM, xx
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MacScot
I get that a lot when exiting the lifts in my building...when you arrive at ground level...people try to get into the lift before you have a chance to get out !!
My building is a bit of a 'mare for lifts. They take ages and theres a corridor inbetween the two sets of lifts so i press the button for both sets and get in the nearest....i was carrying some stuff and heard the lift on the other end of the hall. Two guys got in it and saw i was trying to make my way over but was struggling....the arrogant f#&£%rs pressed their button and just let the door shut....i shouted a tirade of expletives. I'm making it my mission to hunt them down.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:48 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
"Twas in jest..I do empathise with you. My biggest bugbear with shop staff being nice to me is them buttering me up slowly to see if I can give their spouse a job !

Oh but MacScot, its not funny!
'Have a nice day...... said the sales assistant.
Like you give a damn' said I. Many times.
False, vacuos, scripted speech- my day coulda been the M.****er from hell.
I would rather they said'Your arse is too big in that'
Least they noticed /identified me.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:14 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

It's happening everywhere...
For example, in shops, you are falsely pampered...especially by salespersons from a particular part of the world...And in my company I have a girl in customer care which is equally, if not more, nice...And you can really feel the falseness of it...
But, there are others who are genuinely nice also, but you just might as well tell them to stop being nice, if they continue someone will take advantage and beat the shit out of them...
I've been here about 7 months now, at the supermarkets I let people come through, or move so they can get past me, especially old people or preganant women, I've held doors open for people, me, women, arabs - not one of them has evern even smiled at me, never mind said thank you.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:16 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
In terms of salespersons in shops, you can have the US or the UK approach:

US: May I help you......... if it's not there I can order it......... I'll get one for you from the store room........... thank you so much for shopping with us......... etc etc

UK: The bloke what deals with that ain't 'ere.......... if it ain't on the shelf we ain't got none......... that's our policy so I ain't gonna help ya......... loads of people ask for 'em but there ain't no demand (sic!)............ etc etc

I know which I prefer.
I've asked stuff to be ordered here and they think you're mad, at MoE there's the quicksilver and a few other surf shops, I've looked at the flip flops and they are usually UK size 7 and below - I've asked if they can get me some but in UK size 10, and they say no, I ask can they order me some and they just look at me as if I'm mad, say something about 'all stock on display' and then wriggle off somewhere...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:36 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I've been here about 7 months now, at the supermarkets I let people come through, or move so they can get past me, especially old people or preganant women, I've held doors open for people, me, women, arabs - not one of them has evern even smiled at me, never mind said thank you.

If you do all that looking for approval,(and I am sure you-Spugsy - don't)
it loses its meaning tho'.You (Spugsy probably) do that cos your Mam brought you up well.
In the other examples in this thread,.... -is there a pecking order of who should let the other enter/egress buildings? Those living on the the lower floors and nearer the exit get to go first?I don't understand...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:16 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Eva
If you do all that looking for approval,(and I am sure you-Spugsy - don't)
it loses its meaning tho'.You (Spugsy probably) do that cos your Mam brought you up well.
In the other examples in this thread,.... -is there a pecking order of who should let the other enter/egress buildings? Those living on the the lower floors and nearer the exit get to go first?I don't understand...
yeah it's just basic politeness, it is the way I was brought up - and how it should be, is it so hard just to say thanks or even smile if you are trying to get through and I go out of my way to move back and let you through?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.