Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

They may have to knock down buildings constructed during boom

They may have to knock down buildings constructed during boom

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default They may have to knock down buildings constructed during boom

well...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ring-boom.html
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They may have to knock down buildings constructed during boom

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
It does make me wonder. The high running costs of these buildings (power, water, maintenance) will probably not be covered by the rents. Mothballing might be the only solution.

the funny thing is we have all this capacity in Dubai and yet only 150km down the road Abu Dhabi is building the same...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:13 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's rocket science that they'll have to let, for example, the unfinished Palms, Waterfront and World go back to the sea, in favour of consolidating what's being developed on terra firma.

Still, it sucks big time for the investors... I wonder how thy'll react to that idea. Talk about toxic assets!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

so what are prices like now on the palms, and what sort of villas do they have?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
well...
Hopefully they will knock down all of Jumeirah Beach Residence and start again. Its such an eye-sore.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

They should focus on renovating older buildings, getting better parking and easier access rather than build new crap that will just create an even bigger oversupply.

Maybe a few libraries, schools and theatres wouldn't go amis in the concrete jungle too...

Interesting how Dubai's vacancy rate is around 38% and London's City and central areas have never gone below 16%...more egg in the face of all the twits who used to tell me Dubai's property market is simply the best in the world and will never fall.

N.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
They should focus on renovating older buildings, getting better parking and easier access rather than build new crap that will just create an even bigger oversupply.

Maybe a few libraries, schools and theatres wouldn't go amis in the concrete jungle too...

Interesting how Dubai's vacancy rate is around 38% and London's City and central areas have never gone below 16%...more egg in the face of all the twits who used to tell me Dubai's property market is simply the best in the world and will never fall.

N.
There must be a typo in this, and the article. It should say never gone above 16% surely...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:18 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Hopefully they will knock down all of Jumeirah Beach Residence and start again. Its such an eye-sore.
your wish may come true - it's the shoddiest workmanship I've seen in a good while and is riddled with costly "issues" that are only ever going to be passed on to owners for as long as the development is standing.

Maintenance charges are getting higher too - I know that our building's charges represent about 20-25% of the current potential rental income.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:02 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

One of the Shoreline buildings (18 I think) on The Palm has never been occupied. It must be fit for pulling down now.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
your wish may come true - it's the shoddiest workmanship I've seen in a good while and is riddled with costly "issues" that are only ever going to be passed on to owners for as long as the development is standing.

Maintenance charges are getting higher too - I know that our building's charges represent about 20-25% of the current potential rental income.
Most of the residential developments in Dubai are shoddy and of poor construction standards ,there was more effort put into billboards and adverts than bricks and mortar.

As the these buildings age with time and in this environment that's very very quickly the charges will sky rocket and that will be passed on to joe bloggs.

If there was a gold medal for greed Dubai would be Olympic champions .
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
There must be a typo in this, and the article. It should say never gone above 16% surely...
Yeah I think so...that's what happens when I start posting in B.E.'s forums before I finish my coffee enemas in the morning

N.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:13 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Agreed. Word is that Sheik Mo thinks they are ugly too, so we may be in luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:46 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Agreed. Word is that Sheik Mo thinks they are ugly too, so we may be in luck.
wonder who gave the go ahead for it all to be built then?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not confined just to Dubai, the same ideas have been proposed in Europe and the US. Too much of a property overhang on the market kills the value of all the remaining property.

Its not financially viable to maintain empty properties, knock them seems like the best solution. But not to rebuild further white elephants, they ought restrict the planning for years before allowing any more speculative building work.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:32 pm
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

That's what you get when you take inspiration from a Hollywood movie and use that as your mantra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.