View Poll Results: Did you know that "slope" was a derogatory term?
Yes, and it was wrong for it to be used
28.13%
Yes, and so what?
18.75%
No
53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Slope

Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slope

Who knew before this that "slope" has racially-derogatory undertones?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-special.html
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:12 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slope

Can you explain please? I refuse to click on a DM link and increase their traffic and click-throughs.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Can you explain please? I refuse to click on a DM link and increase their traffic and click-throughs.
Oh bleeding 'ell. Top Gear Burma Special. Team build a bridge over the River Kwai (sort of). It was not entirely level. Clarkson said to Hamster, while looking along the bridge as a solitary man walked along it (in the distance--I thought it was May): "But there's a slope on it." People outraged (so says the Daily Mail). English actress of Indian descent suing BBC for "racism" and "discrimination", hoping that at least it will cost them 1m quid to defend it. Wants the show taking off the air. I want to slap her.

I'd never heard of "slope" used in that context, just wondered who else had.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:35 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oh bleeding 'ell. Top Gear Burma Special. Team build a bridge over the River Kwai (sort of). It was not entirely level. Clarkson said to Hamster, while looking along the bridge as a solitary man walked along it (in the distance--I thought it was May): "But there's a slope on it." People outraged (so says the Daily Mail). English actress of Indian descent suing BBC for "racism" and "discrimination", hoping that at least it will cost them 1m quid to defend it. Wants the show taking off the air. I want to slap her.

I'd never heard of "slope" used in that context, just wondered who else had.
I see, thanks.

I have never heard the word used to mean that either. It's on urban dictionary, but seems very obscure and the usual DM 'story out of nothing'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:05 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

It seems pretty obscure to be honest (and BBC could even just argue that she is interpreting what Clarkson said incorrectly) and that woman clearly has very little else going on in her life if she is suing the BBC. It's a shame that some of the PC brigade in the form of lawyers (Equal Justice) are supporting her...
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I see, thanks.

I have never heard the word used to mean that either. It's on urban dictionary, but seems very obscure and the usual DM 'story out of nothing'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope
It is a derogatory term here in the US , for East Asians, but it's an older term . Can't recal ever hearing it in the media.

I suppose it is the way he phrased it ; so if he had said " but it slopes there" instead of " but there is a slope on it " it wouldn't become a mini brouhaha. Still, it is faaar from clear Clarkson meant anything racial so I believe he meant the slope on the bridge.

I didn't vote cause, while I knew it was a derogatory term, it is not clear it was meant to refer to the East Asian guy.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 28th 2014 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:15 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

never heard of it
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

As Boomhauer points old it's a pretty old term, going back to the Vietnam war era.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
It seems pretty obscure to be honest (and BBC could even just argue that she is interpreting what Clarkson said incorrectly) and that woman clearly has very little else going on in her life if she is suing the BBC. It's a shame that some of the PC brigade in the form of lawyers (Equal Justice) are supporting her...
Yes quite right, she has interpreted it to her own use, whether for publicity or just to be a PC nuisance, always makes me wonder my someone can call me a brit and I take no offence but to abbreviate in the same way a person from Pakistan.........just saying.

Slope was a word used to refer to the North Vietnamese during the Vietnam war.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

No but my current fave is 'melt' as in 'you f***ing melt'
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:56 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by flares
No but my current fave is 'melt' as in 'you f***ing melt'
meaning...?

All it conjours up to me is this:

Slope-melt.jpg
Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the questions should be as follows as regards to the Poll;

1. Do we think Clarkson said this in all innocence.
2. Do we think he did make the remark with racist overtones.
3. Do we think that this warrants a witch hunt by a bunch of over zealous numpties hell bent on enforcing their version of a PC world (not the computer shop).
4. Do we think it is a farce to be ignored?
Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of it - will be using it
Old Mar 29th 2014, 5:11 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Yes quite right, she has interpreted it to her own use, whether for publicity or just to be a PC nuisance, always makes me wonder my someone can call me a brit and I take no offence but to abbreviate in the same way a person from Pakistan.........just saying.
I've wondered that myself as well, and I think it's because the word "Paki" was always used in a negative way that "Brit" has never been used - e.g. "Paki-bashing" in the 70s onwards.

With Clarkson you never know if he was being faux-ignorant or genuinely ignorant.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 6:10 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Americans used to refer to Vietnamese during that war as Slopes or Gooks. That was the first time I heard this used. Seems to me just more oxygen for the publicity seekers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.