British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   There will be a backlash against Dubai over this... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/there-will-backlash-against-dubai-over-591682/)

The Dean Feb 15th 2009 9:31 pm

There will be a backlash against Dubai over this...

Refusing a visa to an Israeli player who has qualified by right to participate in a sporting event may seem minor, but sports-related issues have a big impact (the sports boycott of South Africa undoubtedly brought a speedier end to apartheid).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7891164.stm

bimcnorth Feb 15th 2009 9:35 pm

Re: There will be a backlash against Dubai over this...

Not in the arab world I guess...as for the others they just write down Dubai anyway :lol:

Norm_uk Feb 16th 2009 10:04 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7288310)
Refusing a visa to an Israeli player who has qualified by right to participate in a sporting event may seem minor, but sports-related issues have a big impact (the sports boycott of South Africa undoubtedly brought a speedier end to apartheid).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7891164.stm

She's a tennis player, not a general in the IDF...

...Dubai's never been hurt one bit by Israel and likely benefits from all the gold that passes through Israel to Dubai anyway...bloody hypocrites.

N.

The Dean Feb 16th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7289818)
She's a tennis player, not a general in the IDF...

...Dubai's never been hurt one bit by Israel and likely benefits from all the gold that passes through Israel to Dubai anyway...bloody hypocrites.

N.

Watch out for 'campaigns' calling for stars to boycott high profile sports events in Dubai (the golf thing, the tennis thing).

The publicity (always high in sports-related cases) will lead to people examining Dubai in other ways............ etc............... etc..............

lionheart Feb 16th 2009 10:14 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7289830)
Watch out for 'campaigns' calling for stars to boycott high profile sports events in Dubai (the golf thing, the tennis thing).

The publicity (always high in sports-related cases) will lead to people examining Dubai in other ways............ etc............... etc..............

Sorry but I don't see anyone remembering this incident in 2-3 weeks time. It's not as if Israelis are automatically banned. There must have been some bureaucratic cock-up to have caused this. I believe several footballers of Israeli origin have come here in the past. Saudi no but UAE yes.

Sandboy Feb 16th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7289849)
Sorry but I don't see anyone remembering this incident in 2-3 weeks time. It's not as if Israelis are automatically banned. There must have been some bureaucratic cock-up to have caused this. I believe several footballers of Israeli origin have come here in the past. Saudi no but UAE yes.

don't think so, Bolton left Tal Ben Haim behind when they came, then Man City ditched him sharpish as well

fortunately there's no fear of him leaving the UK while playing for Sunderland :(

Spugsy Feb 16th 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7289954)
don't think so, Bolton left Tal Ben Haim behind when they came, then Man City ditched him sharpish as well

fortunately there's no fear of him leaving the UK while playing for Sunderland :(

Aye especially if he wants to go on holiday, he's not using our airport. :)

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 11:24 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

lionheart Feb 16th 2009 11:31 am

You are right. I must have been thinking about Jewish sportsmen holding non-Israeli passports. Of course the UAE won't allow Israelis into their country as there are no diplomatic relations between them. Mind you, it hasn't stopped an entrepreneur of Israeli origin investing here...the Atlantis Hotel springs to mind.

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7290024)
You are right. I must have been thinking about Jewish sportsmen holding non-Israeli passports. Of course the UAE won't allow Israelis into their country as there are no diplomatic relations between them. Mind you, it hasn't stopped an entrepreneur of Israeli origin investing here...the Atlantis Hotel springs to mind.

and aren't the Al Fayed family originally Israeli?

lionheart Feb 16th 2009 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7290041)
and aren't the Al Fayed family originally Israeli?

I thought they were Egyptian, but what do I know?

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7290045)

they are now ....

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 11:47 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7290045)

your right I checked ;)

Sandboy Feb 16th 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7289983)
Aye especially if he wants to go on holiday, he's not using our airport. :)

Dennis and Oz are Mackems :ohmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azMxzCwH0oI

The Dean Feb 16th 2009 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7290024)

Why do two countries have to have "diplomatic relations" before citizens of one can travel to the other?

Saudi hasn't had "diplomatic relations" with Japan for years but they still import Jap cars, travel both ways on business, etc.

The Dean Feb 16th 2009 4:21 pm

Major feature just been on CNN on this..............

Talk of taking Dubai off the WTA circuit, Peer suing for lost earnings, etc.

Mark my words, dear readers - this one has got legs and we will hear more of this...........

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 16th 2009 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7290783)
Major feature just been on CNN on this..............

Talk of taking Dubai off the WTA circuit, Peer suing for lost earnings, etc.

Mark my words, dear readers - this one has got legs and we will hear more of this...........

I agree, i heard on the news that the World olympic commitee has echoed similar sentiments.
If the UAE/ Gulf countries refuse admission to qualified nations (Israel), than those countries will NEVER be asked to bid to host the olympics..

I guess sports city is going to be a bit of a let down!

commander Feb 16th 2009 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7290796)
I agree, i heard on the news that the World olympic commitee has echoed similar sentiments.
If the UAE/ Gulf countries refuse admission to qualified nations (Israel), than those countries will NEVER be asked to bid to host the olympics..

Do you think, under international pressure and the 'need' for events like this, they will relent?

Arab pride and stubborness in my opinion will get the better of them.

sports city=biggest sunday, well friday league stadiums ever

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 16th 2009 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7290803)
Do you think, under international pressure and the 'need' for events like this, they will relent?

sports city=biggest sunday, well friday league stadiums ever

I dont care, i really hope that DXB falls completely on its arse.
Hopefully some of the locals wont be so arrogant once they have been through the financial mill and realised they are not untouchable..

The Dean Feb 16th 2009 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7290796)

I wonder............... if we'll see a (minor) protest at the tournament itself this week (prepared statement read by the players etc)?

Every little helps.......................

benzonar Feb 16th 2009 4:49 pm

The thing is if she had been allowed to turn up there would have been a serious threat to her safety and possibly a major disturbance/demonstration. However I'm sure Dubai's stance is not based on this and is purely political pandering.

bimcnorth Feb 16th 2009 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 7290810)
I dont care, i really hope that DXB falls completely on its arse.
Hopefully some of the locals wont be so arrogant once they have been through the financial mill and realised they are not untouchable..

You must visit Abu Dhabi some day, what they want they get...

seraphnina Feb 17th 2009 2:41 am

According to CNN the Isreali doubles team were also banned last year.:wub:

B Bear Feb 17th 2009 4:07 am

The issue is passport origin. Does anyone here have a passport showing their religion? No. I thought not. The Germans used to stamp a big 'J' on some folks passports a few years back, but have given it up as a bad idea after a bit of persuasion.

Is the British foreign secretary going to be blacklisted for his background along with many other significant UK, US and other countries' politicians? Nope.

B Bear Feb 17th 2009 4:12 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sp...tml?ref=sports

Tennis Channel not covering it.

The Dean Feb 17th 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by B Bear (Post 7292428)

.......... well CNN certainly are.

It's all over the main bulletins today, with viewer polls, etc a feature of it all. The lady herself has been interviewed, and comes across in a very dignified and restrained way, to her credit.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 6:12 am

It is not about Religion; indeed there are many Jews living and working in the UAE. The issue is over having an Israeli passport. The policy to exclude those with Israeli passports is for Political, not religious reasons.

commander Feb 17th 2009 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7292625)
It is not about Religion; indeed there are many Jews living and working in the UAE. The issue is over having an Israeli passport. The policy to exclude those with Israeli passports is for Political, not religious reasons.

politics and religion in this part of the world are not linked??

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 6:25 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7292636)
politics and religion in this part of the world are not linked??

Well of course they are, but the law excludes Israeli passport holders not Jews generally.

Inselaffen Feb 17th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7292647)
Well of course they are, but the law excludes Israeli passport holders not Jews generally.

bet she would have got a visa if she had been an Israeli arab!

Bison Feb 17th 2009 8:48 am

WTA are considering sanctions which may mean this is the last tournament in the UAE.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...931649,00.html

benzonar Feb 17th 2009 9:30 am

You don't even have to be Israeli to be banned from Dubai these days

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...-festival.html

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 17th 2009 9:39 am

You have to laugh.....
I mean, They are fining any reporters who tarnish the image or reputation of Dubai....... yet with own actions, they are creating loads of bad international press... Way to go Dubai!!!!!!:thumbup:

Bison Feb 17th 2009 9:49 am

But when they realised the novel featured a homosexual sheikh who had an English boyfriend
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Norm_uk Feb 17th 2009 10:01 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7290803)

That statement applies to nearly everything that's wrong with this region.

N.

NorthernLad Feb 20th 2009 4:57 am

Another 'injury'...hmmmm

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/54741...-due-to-injury

NorthernLad Feb 21st 2009 5:42 am

Record fine: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7902965.stm

And now Roddick pulls out in protest: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/...9771235194017/

klaus3974 Feb 22nd 2009 5:10 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7306977)

The PR machine is amazing... like everyone here was stupid, today in GN:

"With some top players missing the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships either due to injuries or otherwise, the favourites' tag now falls on Djokovic and Murray."

"Some of the top players such as Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Nicolai Davydenko and Fernando Verdasco have pulled out, mostly due to injuries."

What OTHERWISE means? No mention of Roddick explicit decision to not play due to the Israeli ban...

lionheart Feb 22nd 2009 5:31 am

According to a letter in Seven Days, the concerned tennis player is an accomplished marksman in the Israeli Defence Force whose video was being used to actively recruit more soldiers to the army. Not surprising that Arabs might object to her inclusion.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 12:13 pm

It's not unusual to be involved in a state organised militia in Israel though.

It's tennis not an invasion FFS.