British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   There is no such thing as... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/there-no-such-thing-771107/)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 9:44 am

There is no such thing as...

...a stupid question.

Anyone agree with that?

I always thought it was a tool to let idiots ask what everyone else already knows?

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 9:56 am

Re: There is no such thing as...

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10272904)
...a stupid question.

Anyone agree with that?

I always thought it was a tool to let idiots ask what everyone else already knows?

Why should someone be an idiot just because he doesn't know what everyone else does? If he's had the opportunity to learn but has taken it, then fair enough (probably), but if he's not had the opportunity to learn, he can't be termed a fool. We've all go to start somewhere...

NorthernLad Sep 10th 2012 10:04 am

The 'stupid question' may be one that several people don't know the answer to but are afraid to ask. I've always told my team that I'd much rather them ask something that may seem stupid rather than make a screw-up.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10272914)
Why should someone be an idiot just because he doesn't know what everyone else does? If he's had the opportunity to learn but has taken it, then fair enough (probably), but if he's not had the opportunity to learn, he can't be termed a fool. We've all go to start somewhere...

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10272923)
The 'stupid question' may be one that several people don't know the answer to but are afraid to ask. I've always told my team that I'd much rather them ask something that may seem stupid rather than make a screw-up.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I mean really stupid questions.

Not: How should I write this letter to tell XYZ that we are going to make a claim against them for these reasons?

Something Like: Who do I write this letter to? (when you've already said or it can be found by looking at the email / document)

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10272936)
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I mean really stupid questions.

Not: How should I write this letter to tell XYZ that we are going to make a claim against them for these reasons?

Something Like: Who do I write this letter to? (when you've already said or it can be found by looking at the email / document)

Ah, OK: if its the first time for the asker to ask, give them the benefit of the doubt--they may just be seeking clarification. Second time let them know (in whatever way is appropriate considering cultural and educational differences, and their degree of blondness) that you expect them to use some analytical skills, third time a good slapping (literally or metaphorically, depending on what you can get away with).

Having said that, we all have different ways of understanding things and viewing how others understand things. I was once castigated by both my MD and the HR Director for sending this in an email to an HR Officer: "Please draft an appointment letter for Bill Smith" (having just interviewed him). Said HR Officer not only drafted it, but signed it and sent it to Bill as well. I got the bollocking for not being clear enough. In my view (then and now) I was as clear as I needed to be, but now I do try to figure out how others may misconstrue a simple message and make sure I put the full Do's and Don'ts in everything I write. Some of the people I write to probably think I'm being over-pedantic, but you rarely know exactly how someone else thinks. (And I also think there was a dual hidden agenda behind the MD's and HRD's response: I'd just about fallen out with them at the time, and the HR Office had divine tits.)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10272964)
Ah, OK: if its the first time for the asker to ask, give them the benefit of the doubt--they may just be seeking clarification. Second time let them know (in whatever way is appropriate considering cultural and educational differences, and their degree of blondness) that you expect them to use some analytical skills, third time a good slapping (literally or metaphorically, depending on what you can get away with).

Having said that, we all have different ways of understanding things and viewing how others understand things. I was once castigated by both my MD and the HR Director for sending this in an email to an HR Officer: "Please draft an appointment letter for Bill Smith" (having just interviewed him). Said HR Officer not only drafted it, but signed it and sent it to Bill as well. I got the bollocking for not being clear enough. In my view (then and now) I was as clear as I needed to be, but now I do try to figure out how others may misconstrue a simple message and make sure I put the full Do's and Don'ts in everything I write. Some of the people I write to probably think I'm being over-pedantic, but you rarely know exactly how someone else thinks. (And I also think there was a dual hidden agenda behind the MD's and HRD's response: I'd just about fallen out with them at the time, and the HR Office had divine tits.)

I get what you're saying.

You're right about 1st, 2nd, 3rd chances and degrees of spelling it out.

It just drives me up the wall when people ask a question because they don't think, can't think, won't think, know they can answer it if they just look or are just too lazy to work it out.

Those questions deserve your level three classification immediately.

Millhouse Sep 10th 2012 12:00 pm

As someone who ALWAYS has a question, I would rather hear a hundred stupid questions than not receive one single one. That pisses me off a hell of a lot more.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10273038)
As someone who ALWAYS has a question, I would rather hear a hundred stupid questions than not receive one single one. That pisses me off a hell of a lot more.

Would you rather one sensible, thought through, reasonable question or 100 stupid ones to get the same answer?

Beakersful Sep 10th 2012 12:07 pm

http://i.imgur.com/ExZih.png?1?6684 Even ones about the Earths rotation?

Millhouse Sep 10th 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10273045)
Would you rather one sensible, thought through, reasonable question or 100 stupid ones to get the same answer?

that's ****ing obvious asshole.

I didn't say I give sensible answers.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10273055)

See. Stupid question.

She deserves to be a casualty in natural selection.

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10273055)

Yep, that qualifies. She should have her computer confiscated and given proper books to read until she's learnt to think.

Anyone got the clip of the girlfriend in the car trying to figure out how long it would take to travel 1 mile at 60mph?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10273062)
Yep, that qualifies. She should have her computer confiscated and given proper books to read until she's learnt to think.

Anyone got the clip of the girlfriend in the car trying to figure out how long it would take to travel 1 mile at 60mph?

Please tell me that's not true?

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10273084)
Please tell me that's not true?

Wait till you see the clip. Unless its bloody brilliant acting.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10273095)
Wait till you see the clip. Unless its bloody brilliant acting.

I'll find this when I'm home.