British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/thailand-571892/)

twinkle-star Nov 8th 2008 7:22 am

Thailand

Hiya,
Anyone been to Thailand??
Thinking of going there travelling and working Not sure where to start off tho?
Anyone been there and have any ideas???

typical Nov 8th 2008 7:44 am

Re: Thailand

Yep. I love Bangkok. Wonderful place.

A friend of mine works there at the moment, for an energy consulting firm. Seems to like it!

Shadya Nov 8th 2008 9:15 am

More of a paradise for a single guy rather than a single gal I would have thought. Also, very few jobs available except maybe teaching English, where the pay is crap. A beautiful country though, especially the islands of Phuket and Koh Samui.

twinkle-star Nov 8th 2008 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6952538)
More of a paradise for a single guy rather than a single gal I would have thought. Also, very few jobs available except maybe teaching English, where the pay is crap. A beautiful country though, especially the islands of Phuket and Koh Samui.

Hiya i just want to go for a couple of months and travel round or get some bar work! etc.. just need to get away and it would be a good experience.

Bonny Boy Nov 8th 2008 3:39 pm

Chiang Mai in the north is a town which grows on you, and is a great place to chill out. Nice climate, lots of temples, river rafting, elephant rides etc.

Also in the north is Sukhothai - ancient capital, with many temples from that era - stayed in a traditional teak house hotel there - would have been an expensive 'boutique' type place had the plumbing and electricity been any good - as it was it cost peanuts. New Sukhothai is a typical Thai country town - mopeds and pick up trucks - like much of Thailand a place to take it easy.

Bangkok is a great city to explore, and just to the north don't miss Ayatthaya - temple fest time again, but they never fail to charm.

In the south - I've been to Ko Tao which is a small island to the north of Samui- diving and snorkelling here and like Ko Samui used to be in the 80's. We got a beach hut on the east side of the island - my girlfriend was shocked, shocked, that there was no mobile phone coverage or TV - the horror, the horror.

On the way down spent some time in Prachuap Khiri Khan, a low key Thai fishing town with a scenic bay, fishing boats and hill top temple overrun with monkeys. Another town to relax in, few tourists, small market, scooters and pick up trucks.

Travelled as much as possible by rail. Otherwise there is an extensive bus network connecting all the cities and towns.

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6952538)
More of a paradise for a single guy rather than a single gal I would have thought.

There is a lot more to Thailand than the usual tosh that the UK media choses to present. Yes, avoid Pattaya and certain small areas of Bangkok - However, if you are a budget traveller who wants something a bit easier than say India or many of the African countries it is a great destination.

MataHari Nov 8th 2008 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6952363)
Hiya,

try posting in the Far East section of BE...

Madam Medusa Nov 8th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6952633)
Hiya i just want to go for a couple of months and travel round or get some bar work! etc.. just need to get away and it would be a good experience.

you'll love thailand...try krabi, or go up north to the golden triangle/chiang mai/chiang rai...just make sure you avoid pattaya whatever you do...

MM, xx

katongkaren Nov 9th 2008 6:10 am

Take a look at....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-v...rmits-f1.html&

There's a lot of other sub-forums on there which may be of interest.

If you're going to Phuket, there are a lot of visa shops who will fix whatever visa you want (for a fee of course) if you are daunted by a trip to Immigration. I imagine that other busy areas of Thailand also have visa shops.

A lot of people do work illegally and just do visa-runs which are pretty easy to do - again, visa shops will arrange a visa-run. Though, obviously, working illegally is not really to be recommended. Much better to get a pukka visa of some sort.

Spugsy Nov 9th 2008 6:19 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6952363)
Hiya,

Thailand is pretty much my favourite place in the world, lovely friendly people, amazing beaches, cheap to live and travel and fantastic simple food,

Go travelling, have some fun - but working in bars? You'll earn pennies pet, literally.

Spugsy Nov 9th 2008 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6953285)
Chiang Mai in the north is a town which grows on you, and is a great place to chill out. Nice climate, lots of temples, river rafting, elephant rides etc.

Also in the north is Sukhothai - ancient capital, with many temples from that era - stayed in a traditional teak house hotel there - would have been an expensive 'boutique' type place had the plumbing and electricity been any good - as it was it cost peanuts. New Sukhothai is a typical Thai country town - mopeds and pick up trucks - like much of Thailand a place to take it easy.

Bangkok is a great city to explore, and just to the north don't miss Ayatthaya - temple fest time again, but they never fail to charm.

In the south - I've been to Ko Tao which is a small island to the north of Samui- diving and snorkelling here and like Ko Samui used to be in the 80's. We got a beach hut on the east side of the island - my girlfriend was shocked, shocked, that there was no mobile phone coverage or TV - the horror, the horror.

On the way down spent some time in Prachuap Khiri Khan, a low key Thai fishing town with a scenic bay, fishing boats and hill top temple overrun with monkeys. Another town to relax in, few tourists, small market, scooters and pick up trucks.

Travelled as much as possible by rail. Otherwise there is an extensive bus network connecting all the cities and towns.

There is a lot more to Thailand than the usual tosh that the UK media choses to present. Yes, avoid Pattaya and certain small areas of Bangkok - However, if you are a budget traveller who wants something a bit easier than say India or many of the African countries it is a great destination.

we're thinking of going to Ko Tao in late Jan. early Feb - you;d recommend it?

Spugsy Nov 9th 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6953529)
you'll love thailand...try krabi, or go up north to the golden triangle/chiang mai/chiang rai...just make sure you avoid pattaya whatever you do...

MM, xx

I spent a month in pattaya when I first went travelling, it's an eye opener thats for sure.

twinkle-star Nov 9th 2008 6:27 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6953295)
try posting in the Far East section of BE...

I have no one is ever on line :lol: Too busy travelling i expect...

katongkaren Nov 9th 2008 6:30 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6954849)
I have no one is ever on line :lol: Too busy travelling i expect...

I posted !! But put my lengthier post above on this sub-forum.:)

katongkaren Nov 9th 2008 6:34 am

Holidaywise, I imagine there will be some bargains to be had. There's a 5 star resort a few miles from where we live and we've been told their bookings for December are only 40 percent full (usually 100 percent full in December).

Start of the high season now in Phuket - come on over all you peoples :lol:

commander Nov 9th 2008 7:16 am

were off to Hua hin next month..loverly..

cant do all the things we would want to with a nipper in tow, but 10 days by the beach will be lovely