British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tevez is going to cost $60 million...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tevez-going-cost-%2460-million-563139/)

benzonar Sep 23rd 2008 8:35 am

Tevez is going to cost $60 million......

......for West Ham that is :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4807760.ece

Naughty boys, no doubt WH will try and drag it out. They should just pay up and hope it is quickly forgotten.

I still remember the day fondly when the Hammers fans were flooding the BBC message boards proclaiming Tevez and Mascherano were the signings of the century and they were going to qualify for Europe :D

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 9:08 am

Re: Tevez is going to cost $60 million......

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 6810747)
......for West Ham that is :D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4807760.ece

Naughty boys, no doubt WH will try and drag it out. They should just pay up and hope it is quickly forgotten.

I still remember the day fondly when the Hammers fans were flooding the BBC message boards proclaiming Tevez and Mascherano were the signings of the century and they were going to qualify for Europe :D

This was an independent tribunal requested, set up and paid for by Sheff Utd.

West Ham were under no obligation to attend or to supply any evidence or indeed, to put forward their case.

It appears that the tribunal have found in Sheff Utd's favour (not surprising given the one sided circumstances), but the decision has no legal obligation for West Ham to agree to or to pay out any compensation.

Sheff Utd, if they really feel they have a case, can only sue the EPL and not West Ham as a decision was made by the EPL to fine West Ham and not deduct points and that decision still stands and is legal.

Sheff Utd had the right to appeal, which they did twice and lost

As for the Tevez scoring goals and helping West Ham to win points and staying in the EPL, it is impossible to predict an outcome of a football match based on whether a player will score and ultimately win a game.

Therefore, Sheff Utd have no case whatsoever and West Ham have no legal obligation to pay any compensation.

Some other things I fail to understand....

1. West Ham have already been fined by the EPL so surely have been punished twice now and any compensation payed should come from the EPL not from West Ham.

2. There is a rule stating that EPL clubs can't sue each other, although Sheffield United aren't a EPL club now they were when the Tevez incident happened. By allowing them to sue West Ham this has set a precedent allowing every club relegated at the end of each season to sue the EPL and or other clubs for wrong decisions. i.e say Hull are relegated this season... they can sue Newcastle for injuring Fagan citing that the loss of him caused them to drop points.

3. How can they can say that Tevez gained us 3 points in any match as surely his an Mascherano's arrival was the spark that started the run of bad form for West Ham that season ?. Also if West Ham didn't sign Tevez who can say they werent then going to then try and bring in another big name striker who would score as many goals if not more ?

4. Also it says Sheff Utd want £4 million from us for Jagielka as they rated him at £8 million. Surely he is only worth what clubs are willing to pay for him so them valuing him at £8 million is unfair as I guarantee Everton wouldn't have payed that for him nor realistically sell him fr £8 million now.

5. Ultimately how can they say that the 3 points that Tevez won West Ham was a more deciding factor in their relegation than the 60+ points they lost throughout the season. ?? When West Ham played them with Tevez in the squad, Sheff Utd won 3-0. Surely then that means that the Sheffield United squad was better than that of ours with Tevez playing so they should have been expected to pick up more points than us over the course of a season

6. As I recall Tevez was down the mororway on the final day that season playing against Man U, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Sheff Utd losing at home to Wigan, nothing to do with one of their defenders inexplicably raising his arm in the penalty area giving away a penalty and so them subsequently going down !!!!

Inselaffen Sep 23rd 2008 9:25 am

you broke the rules. you should have had points deducted at the time and that would have sent you down.

the fine was no punishment as all as it meant they stayed up and avoided the huge financial penalty of relegation.

The Dean Sep 23rd 2008 9:25 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 6810833)
This was an independent tribunal requested, set up and paid for by Sheff Utd.

West Ham were under no obligation to attend or to supply any evidence or indeed, to put forward their case.

It appears that the tribunal have found in Sheff Utd's favour (not surprising given the one sided circumstances), but the decision has no legal obligation for West Ham to agree to or to pay out any compensation.

Sheff Utd, if they really feel they have a case, can only sue the EPL and not West Ham as a decision was made by the EPL to fine West Ham and not deduct points and that decision still stands and is legal.

Sheff Utd had the right to appeal, which they did twice and lost

As for the Tevez scoring goals and helping West Ham to win points and staying in the EPL, it is impossible to predict an outcome of a football match based on whether a player will score and ultimately win a game.

Therefore, Sheff Utd have no case whatsoever and West Ham have no legal obligation to pay any compensation.

Some other things I fail to understand....

1. West Ham have already been fined by the EPL so surely have been punished twice now and any compensation payed should come from the EPL not from West Ham.

2. There is a rule stating that EPL clubs can't sue each other, although Sheffield United aren't a EPL club now they were when the Tevez incident happened. By allowing them to sue West Ham this has set a precedent allowing every club relegated at the end of each season to sue the EPL and or other clubs for wrong decisions. i.e say Hull are relegated this season... they can sue Newcastle for injuring Fagan citing that the loss of him caused them to drop points.

3. How can they can say that Tevez gained us 3 points in any match as surely his an Mascherano's arrival was the spark that started the run of bad form for West Ham that season ?. Also if West Ham didn't sign Tevez who can say they werent then going to then try and bring in another big name striker who would score as many goals if not more ?

4. Also it says Sheff Utd want £4 million from us for Jagielka as they rated him at £8 million. Surely he is only worth what clubs are willing to pay for him so them valuing him at £8 million is unfair as I guarantee Everton wouldn't have payed that for him nor realistically sell him fr £8 million now.

5. Ultimately how can they say that the 3 points that Tevez won West Ham was a more deciding factor in their relegation than the 60+ points they lost throughout the season. ?? When West Ham played them with Tevez in the squad, Sheff Utd won 3-0. Surely then that means that the Sheffield United squad was better than that of ours with Tevez playing so they should have been expected to pick up more points than us over the course of a season

6. As I recall Tevez was down the mororway on the final day that season playing against Man U, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Sheff Utd losing at home to Wigan, nothing to do with one of their defenders inexplicably raising his arm in the penalty area giving away a penalty and so them subsequently going down !!!!

So it's not fair for West Ham to be 'punished twice'......??

Hmmmm.......

Yours non-hypocritically,

A Luton Town Supporter.

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6810884)
you broke the rules. you should have had points deducted at the time and that would have sent you down.

the fine was no punishment as all as it meant they stayed up and avoided the huge financial penalty of relegation.

Broke the rules is a matter of opinion.....the EPL didnt even know and they approved the transfer in the first place !

If it was so illegal, how come Mascherano ended up playing for Liverpool ON LOAN from West Ham from around Xmas that season....??

I went to every home game that season, and from when Tevez was bought until around March, he was dire, and was either injured or on the bench, and no hand whatsoever into our performances

Have just heard that twat Neil Warnock saying that if "it" hadnt happened he'd still be Sheff Utd Manager and they would be doing nicely.............he fails to understand that his team were shite all season under his leadership, and despite beating us 3-0 a few weeks before the end of that season, and despite leading Wigan on the final day of the season, they threw away their premiership status themselves and no one else !

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 9:32 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6810885)
So it's not fair for West Ham to be 'punished twice'......??

Hmmmm.......

Yours non-hypocritically,

A Luton Town Supporter.

Well if anyone knows about rule breaking and points deduction its a Luton Town fan.......

Spugsy Sep 23rd 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6810884)

bollocks, the FA set that, not west ham - they can;'t go back and fine them again now.

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6811068)
bollocks, the FA set that, not west ham - they can;'t go back and fine them again now.

Well done Spugsy....sense at last !

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 6811167)

and while we are on the subject......more thoughts...

There are so many intangibles at work it should make any further progress redundant.

If a panel of lawyers can sit down 16 months later and decide how many points a player is worth, we are all in trouble.

1) Why did Sheff Utd allow potential points to go begging by not fielding their strongest line up against some of the top 4, instead insisiting that they had no chance of winning and wanted to rest players for more winnable games?

2) Why has Sheff Utd chairman MCabe said at previous hearings that he will abide by their decision only to go back on his word when he did not get the decision he wanted?

3) Why is their well publicised deal to refuse Steve Kabba to be allowed to play against them for Watford that season not being used as an example of breaching the PL standards on treating other member clubs fairly?

4) If Tevez was worth 3 points how many points did we lose by the unsettling nature of his arrival?

5) While not disputing his good form in the latter stages of the season, there were an awful lot of games that Tevez did not play in or did not influence. He was also not responsible for keeping a clean sheet in the final game.

6)If Tevez was worth 3 points, how many points were Sheffield United players theoretically worth? If the panel comes to the conclusion that it is less or equal to what they got, then they got relegated because they were not good enough. If it is more than what they got , then they underperformed.

THE KEY ISSUE - is that McCabe swallowed Wigan chariman's Dave Whelan's initial bait and went for the first decision, thinking he would get points deducted. Having failed in this, he loaned Sheff Ud money in order to pursue the first hearing. Having failed in this, he realised that he would never get the money back from the club without going further. This is why he has broken his word twice in reneging on his pledge to abide by previous findings, and also why we have seen the shift from 'It's not about money, it's about justice' to 'It's about £30m'.

I would just love it now if the FA came out and said they're deducting us two points from the 06/07 final standings !!.

Sheff Utd still go down and we give half a million to Fulham for final standings payments that season.

Spugsy Sep 23rd 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 6811167)

I'm sure you could take the head of the FA and slice his head off at half time and still not get fined £30m anyway,

what a load of horseshit, Sheff Utd should stop bloody moaning and whining and get on with it, they look like needy idiots.

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6811613)
I'm sure you could take the head of the FA and slice his head off at half time and still not get fined £30m anyway,

what a load of horseshit, Sheff Utd should stop bloody moaning and whining and get on with it, they look like needy idiots.

And.....Dean Ashton was injured for the season that year while on England duty.............

Do we now sue the FA for Ashton getting injured while he was with them, as a result we were 10-15 goals lshort that season ?

Where do you draw the line?

Will Watford sue the FA or Reading for the "goal that never was" if they fail to get promoted by a point or two this year ?

Shadya Sep 23rd 2008 2:17 pm

Personally I am more interested in whether Lewis Hamilton wins his appeal.

BangleMan Sep 23rd 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6812070)

I couldnt give a toss about Lewis Hamilton....

benzonar Sep 23rd 2008 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6812070)

He lost, declared inadmissible. Load of balls.

NorthernLad Sep 23rd 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 6812214)
He lost, declared inadmissible. Load of balls.

The lad has gone way up in my estimation for his replies to Ferrari counsel Nigel Tozzi.