British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Terror attacks in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/terror-attacks-uae-860849/)

DXBtoDOH Jun 27th 2015 7:17 am

Terror attacks in the UAE

Doesn't it seem surprising there hasn't been one yet? The UAE, especially Dubai, is such a prime target with the large western expat presence and tourism and its laid back Islamic attitudes that must infuriate the fundamentalist Muslims in Isis.

What are the odds of such an attack happening? Would it change the equation for Dubai Plc? I had unpleasant visions of Barasti going kaboom. Although to be fair maybe that wouldn't be too bad (assuming no one gets seriously hurt).

shiva Jun 27th 2015 7:49 am

Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Odds are low, the risk exists of course but is much lower than most of the rest of the region for many reasons.

One of the biggest reasons is the largely unified view of the locals, most of the Shia were deported years ago. Unlike Saudi say there isnt a huge local split and existing tensions are relatively low and certainly much lower than elsewhere in the region.

There is a bigger pro democracy movement here than there is pro extremist movement, combine that with the small size of the country and extreme surveillance state and whilst the risk of lone attackers is still there its much much lower than in many places.

Whilst the UAE and in particular Dubai may seem a prime target the odds of a "home grown" attack are low and its surprisingly tough these days to for attackers to get stuff in. 10 years ago the border was imaginary lines in the sand, now its a fully monitored and fenced in country with border patrols and cameras everywhere.

I'd say that although on the surface we may appear the biggest target in the region we actually have a much lower risk than the rest of the region or any major european city due to many factors.

Another one of those reasons being that Dubai is also a "neutral" zone for many of the worlds less savoury organisations and spy outfits. When everybody is parking money here and has a safe place to eat and sleep between campaigns it makes little sense for them to shit in their own beds, add in the long time rumour of pay offs and most serious analysis has the UAE and Dubai fairly low on the risk index

Bahtatboy Jun 27th 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11686082)
Odds are low, the risk exists of course but is much lower than most of the rest of the region for many reasons.

One of the biggest reasons is the largely unified view of the locals, most of the Shia were deported years ago. Unlike Saudi say there isnt a huge local split and existing tensions are relatively low and certainly much lower than elsewhere in the region.

There is a bigger pro democracy movement here than there is pro extremist movement, combine that with the small size of the country and extreme surveillance state and whilst the risk of lone attackers is still there its much much lower than in many places.

Whilst the UAE and in particular Dubai may seem a prime target the odds of a "home grown" attack are low and its surprisingly tough these days to for attackers to get stuff in. 10 years ago the border was imaginary lines in the sand, now its a fully monitored and fenced in country with border patrols and cameras everywhere.

I'd say that although on the surface we may appear the biggest target in the region we actually have a much lower risk than the rest of the region or any major european city due to many factors.

Another one of those reasons being that Dubai is also a "neutral" zone for many of the worlds less savoury organisations and spy outfits. When everybody is parking money here and has a safe place to eat and sleep between campaigns it makes little sense for them to shit in their own beds, add in the long time rumour of pay offs and most serious analysis has the UAE and Dubai fairly low on the risk index

Yep, very logical. So that accounts for about 10% of the equation...

Boomhauer Jun 27th 2015 8:54 am

As mentioned above there is probably some informal or unwritten rule amongst jihadis not to makes waves in the UAE. Who knows maybee the UAE authorities have a wink wink nod nod agreement between them and various groups.

littlejimmy Jun 27th 2015 11:01 am

So glad I turned that Kuwait job down. Not sure if it will be destabilised, as IS seem to want, but I'm glad.

Millhouse Jun 27th 2015 4:02 pm

The risk here is no different than anywhere else.

There are plenty of unmanaged borders. I Crossed some only last week.

But a very good security presence will reduce the risk for sure. But who knows what a disgruntled group of labourers will get up to of given some money.

flares Jun 27th 2015 8:06 pm

There was an attack in Abu Dhabi - a woman got knifed to death

Fossildog Jun 28th 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11686452)
There was an attack in Abu Dhabi - a woman got knifed to death

and one in jumeriah reported not so long ago

Al Reem-type stabbing in Jumeirah - Khaleej Times

norsk Jun 28th 2015 9:04 am

There will always be a certain percentage of people in every society who are complete nutters regardless of how 'happy' the average person is. Of course these people may be known by the security services, but unless they babysit every one of these risks all the time shit can (and will eventually) happen. There are plenty of examples from all over the world.

UAE is less dangerous than most large cities in the world for sure mainly due to lower crime, but I think believing that nothing will happen because people don't shit in their own bed is terribly naive.

One thing I am pretty certain of is that if something serious does happen here all bets are off! The country has everything they have built in the last 40 years to lose...

shiva Jun 28th 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11686787)
There will always be a certain percentage of people in every society who are complete nutters regardless of how 'happy' the average person is. Of course these people may be known by the security services, but unless they babysit every one of these risks all the time shit can (and will eventually) happen. There are plenty of examples from all over the world.

UAE is less dangerous than most large cities in the world for sure mainly due to lower crime, but I think believing that nothing will happen because people don't shit in their own bed is terribly naive.

One thing I am pretty certain of is that if something serious does happen here all bets are off! The country has everything they have built in the last 40 years to lose...

wont and less likely not being the same thing

norsk Jun 28th 2015 10:02 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11686806)
wont and less likely not being the same thing

Absolutely, but very few of the expats I have met in this particular oasis seem capable of making that distinction. As long as they can continue to drive a better car than at home, earn more money and pretend not to know that their wife is being caned by the personal trainer they seem oblivious to the facts of life..

shiva Jun 28th 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11686817)
Absolutely, but very few of the expats I have met in this particular oasis seem capable of making that distinction. As long as they can continue to drive a better car than at home, earn more money and pretend not to know that their wife is being caned by the personal trainer they seem oblivious to the facts of life..

very true

MataHari Jun 28th 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11686817)

oblivious or not...it's not like 'we' can actually do anything...if it happens, you can only hope you are not around...so you may as well live your life and get on with it. Walking around in fear isn't going to help anyone, avoiding places is pretty useless and most of the time impossible, even being extra vigilant seems pointless cause what would you be looking for, by the time you see a guy with a machine gun it's too late...if 'it' happens, it will probably be unexpected anyway. The facts of life at this point in time is that the world is a fcked up place, see what happened in Tunisia. One moment you are lying on the beach alive, next moment you're dead.
So yes, I go about my daily life just like I have always done and hope that all will be ok.

norsk Jun 28th 2015 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 11686852)
oblivious or not...it's not like 'we' can actually do anything...if it happens, you can only hope you are not around...so you may as well live your life and get on with it. Walking around in fear isn't going to help anyone, avoiding places is pretty useless and most of the time impossible, even being extra vigilant seems pointless cause what would you be looking for, by the time you see a guy with a machine gun it's too late...if 'it' happens, it will probably be unexpected anyway. The facts of life at this point in time is that the world is a fcked up place, see what happened in Tunisia. One moment you are lying on the beach alive, next moment you're dead.
So yes, I go about my daily life just like I have always done and hope that all will be ok.

Life goes on. No need to walk around in fear, but denial of possibility is dangerous..

TGFKASE Jun 28th 2015 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 11686852)
So yes, I go about my daily life just like I have always done and hope that all will be ok, Insha'allah....

I've corrected that for you....