Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Terror attacks in the UAE

Terror attacks in the UAE

Old Jun 28th 2015, 11:41 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I've corrected that for you....
mabrook habibi...
Old Jun 28th 2015, 11:43 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
mabrook habibi...
Afwan, habibti...
Old Jun 28th 2015, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Possibility....probability....likelihood....

Risks are different everywhere, bad / fatal car crashes here (I'm assuming) are more common than in say, London. But perhaps knife crime (I'm guessing) is lower than in London.

I don't like to live in fear, in fact, I don't actually, it would be miserable. I know where my essentials are if I wanted to leave in a heartbeat, but it would take something pretty unprecedented for that I think.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that fatal accidents can not only happen anywhere but they're also not personal. Knife crime is also not particularly personal, the thief generally wants your money regardless of who you are.

When a terrorist attacks innocent western sunbathers, it's personal.

If a terror attack happened in the UAE it would make many western expats suddenly feel distinctively out of place, that there's people who hate every fibre of your being just because you're western and not Muslim, and they're not hundreds or thousands of kilometers away but right here in the same city as you. Without the protection of being in the majority as is the case for Brits despite the occasional wacko attack in the UK, you'd feel very invulnerable. It's a psychological blow and does affect your perception of being safe as a distinct minority in a region that is largely hostile to many of your core values.

As it is, I'm not claiming the sky is falling and agree the UAE is pretty safe even from terrorism, but just one incident could radically change the equation.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Possibility....probability....likelihood....

Risks are different everywhere, bad / fatal car crashes here (I'm assuming) are more common than in say, London. But perhaps knife crime (I'm guessing) is lower than in London.

I don't like to live in fear, in fact, I don't actually, it would be miserable. I know where my essentials are if I wanted to leave in a heartbeat, but it would take something pretty unprecedented for that I think.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 2:08 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The difference is that fatal accidents can not only happen anywhere but they're also not personal. Knife crime is also not particularly personal, the thief generally wants your money regardless of who you are.

When a terrorist attacks innocent western sunbathers, it's personal.

If a terror attack happened in the UAE it would make many western expats suddenly feel distinctively out of place, that there's people who hate every fibre of your being just because you're western and not Muslim, and they're not hundreds or thousands of kilometers away but right here in the same city as you. Without the protection of being in the majority as is the case for Brits despite the occasional wacko attack in the UK, you'd feel very invulnerable. It's a psychological blow and does affect your perception of being safe as a distinct minority in a region that is largely hostile to many of your core values.

As it is, I'm not claiming the sky is falling and agree the UAE is pretty safe even from terrorism, but just one incident could radically change the equation.
I would probably feel more 'violated' by an attack 'back home' (supposedly safe country blabla) than I would feel if something happens here surrounded by people 'hating every fiber of my being, here in the same city with me'...
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

The London comparison is not a bad one though. I reckon Dubai today is safer than living in London in the early-mid '90s with the IRA blowing stuff up, and I didn't feel particularly unsafe even then, although maybe that was the invincibility of youth.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I would probably feel more 'violated' by an attack 'back home' (supposedly safe country blabla) than I would feel if something happens here surrounded by people 'hating every fiber of my being, here in the same city with me'...
Yep. End of the day, we're only a quick plane ride out of here, Kuwait style, were it to go pear shaped at some point (not that I think it will).
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Standanista
The London comparison is not a bad one though. I reckon Dubai today is safer than living in London in the early-mid '90s with the IRA blowing stuff up, and I didn't feel particularly unsafe even then, although maybe that was the invincibility of youth.
on what basis do you make such a claim?

The fact is... not a single poster on here knows.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
on what basis do you make such a claim?

I think you need to get your facts right. Basis: incident history, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0.E2.80.931999

The December 1992 bomb in John Lewis toilets I was stood two blocks away from. It sounded like an empty skip being dropped. You obviously get a better echo with Armitage Shanks.

Second basis: from spending months on nights searching for the things as part of my job (London Underground) during that period.

The stuff going on behind the scenes to prevent these sort of things is something we rarely hear about, and rightly so, but on the plain facts of actual incidents, Dubai today is many times safer from terrorist attack than 1990s London.

Last edited by Standanista; Jun 29th 2015 at 2:23 am. Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:55 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to get your facts right. Basis: incident history, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0.E2.80.931999

The December 1992 bomb in John Lewis toilets I was stood two blocks away from. It sounded like an empty skip being dropped. You obviously get a better echo with Armitage Shanks.

Second basis: from spending months on nights searching for the things as part of my job (London Underground) during that period.

The stuff going on behind the scenes to prevent these sort of things is something we rarely hear about, and rightly so, but on the plain facts of actual incidents, Dubai today is many times safer from terrorist attack than 1990s London.
History is indeed the most popular indicator of the future, but it is also an imperfect one. It is only really useful on a high level (ie big movements and long term) and doesn't take into account factors such as current political significance of an attack, current geopolitics, modus operandi of choice for the flavour of the day terrorists and so on.

(Side note: If you are interested in learning more about using history to predict the future read up on cliodynamics. The concept looks interesting and a bit crazy to be honest.)

Not to imply that this is a pissing contest, but I was in Central London on 7/7/2007 and it was absolutely a pants-shitting moment. However everyone knew that London was a target of huge significance to Islamist terrorists (flavour of that day and today) and therefore it wasn't such a shock to the system and life went back to normal pretty quickly all things considered.

Of course things are going on behind the scenes. People are being watched and some arrested and convicted and like you say the people don't need to know the details, but if you publicly deny the possibility/risk of an attack and ignore the fact that you stick out like a sore thumb compared to your brothers, an incident will I think be very difficult to overcome.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You say that like it's not the same for EVERY other topic on here.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You say that like it's not the same for EVERY other topic on here.
nah, Shiva is the authority on most shit.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We will probably never know.

Let's hope all the saudis driving over the border at Eid have good intentions. Unlike the brother who went to Kuwait.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:31 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

nah, Shiva is the authority on most useless shit.
typo
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We will probably never know.

Let's hope all the saudis driving over the border at Eid have good intentions. Unlike the brother who went to Kuwait.
Don't most of them come here for the shopping and hookers? Doubt most would want to ruin that bit of fun.

No matter how good the intel, security systems etc etc I don't think you can ever be totally secure. There is always one lone nutter with a point to prove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.