British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Teh Commander - BEME's soon to be very own Ironman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/teh-commander-bemes-soon-very-own-ironman-712186/)

weescot Apr 5th 2011 11:09 am

Teh Commander - BEME's soon to be very own Ironman

The Commander will soon be taking off from our shores to take part in Ironman South Africa at the weekend.

For those of you that need some enlightenment, he will be swimming 2.4 miles (3.9km), cycling 112 miles (180km) and then running a marathon (26.2m/42 km) - all in succession without a break.

Aside from his training achievements, he has also raised over 4grand for MS, partly though the generosity of some board members (he is also still taking donations if you want to PM him). A good effort all round.

Here is to the Commander, wishing him bon voyage and very best wishes on his big day this Sunday.

lionheart Apr 5th 2011 11:11 am

Re: Teh Commander - BEME's soon to be very own Ironman

So do you have Kittykat syndrome too?

Alexa Apr 5th 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9286514)
The Commander will soon be taking off from our shores to take part in Ironman South Africa at the weekend.

For those of you that need some enlightenment, he will be swimming 2.4 miles (3.9km), cycling 112 miles (180km) and then running a marathon (26.2m/42 km) - all in succession without a break.

Aside from his training achievements, he has also raised over 4grand for MS, partly though the generosity of some board members (he is also still taking donations if you want to PM him). A good effort all round.

Here is to the Commander, wishing him bon voyage and very best wishes on his big day this Sunday.

Best of luck to him then.:)

nottmbantam Apr 5th 2011 11:19 am

Makes me eyes water just reading about it.

Big respect to The Commander, hope all goes well.

weescot Apr 5th 2011 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9286520)
So do you have Kittykat syndrome too?

Huh?

Hello.Kitty Apr 5th 2011 12:02 pm

Wow!

Couldn't begin to fathom why anyone would want to do that of their own free will, but, wow... I doff my cap to you, sir!

Blue Cat Apr 5th 2011 12:21 pm

good luck Commander!!

Welivehere Apr 5th 2011 1:21 pm

Good luck sir. :D

Still waiting for those donation site details on pm....

soukie Apr 5th 2011 1:25 pm

:thumbup: All the best Commander.

kittycat1 Apr 5th 2011 2:44 pm

What is Kittycat syndrome when its at home? Prey tell Lionheart and its KittyCAT with a C!

kittycat1 Apr 5th 2011 2:47 pm

and good luck commander! although I think we should change your name to something more sporing, Im thinking a wrestling style name, ie Big Daddy, Hulk Hogan etc any suggestions?

Purdey Apr 5th 2011 3:34 pm

Best of luck, Commander!

KC syndrome is (I think) writing teh when you mean the - yes?

The Dean Apr 5th 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9286514)

How do you know so much about Commander's movements? Or am I just a bit too far behind the gossip?

weescot Apr 5th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9287184)
How do you know so much about Commander's movements? Or am I just a bit too far behind the gossip?

...I sponsored him! All in his fundraising page :-) Plus I occassionally run to him triathlon training.

The Dean Apr 5th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9287192)
...I sponsored him! All in his fundraising page :-) Plus I occassionally run to him triathlon training.

Fundraising "page"?? Oh I see.............. Facebook?

Never seen it, never will. Never going to forgive an old mate who got remarried recently without even telling me he was planning to:

"But I put it on Facebook!"

weescot Apr 5th 2011 5:49 pm

No not FB - and I am sorry you heard about your friend like that (FB has a lot to answer for - not just Arab revolts).

Here is the e-cloth cap asking for sponsorship. You must have been napping....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699586

commander Apr 5th 2011 7:43 pm

thanks Weescot and everyone else for the kind comments and donations to a great cause.

HelloKitty, anyone can do one an Ironman, well almost. I have the base health for which i am grateful and the long hours of training has given me the platform to undertake this level of torture:D

I hope that makes sense, but my driving force is that i have the will and health to put myself through this..many would like to but are unable due to circumstances beyond one's control im afraid:( I WILL be reminding myself of this come sunday when im 9 hours into the race.

All the best.

anyone wishing to sponsor me, pop me a PM and ill send you the link. Id post the link here, but you know what internet lurkers are like..i dont allow photo's of me in lycra and my family to be viewed for free...it costs a donation:D

shiva Apr 6th 2011 6:00 am

good on you and the well done on the fundraising

wont say good luck but will say i hope its not overly painful.
fkit its only weakness leaving the body

Hello.Kitty Apr 6th 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9287442)
thanks Weescot and everyone else for the kind comments and donations to a great cause.

HelloKitty, anyone can do one an Ironman, well almost. I have the base health for which i am grateful and the long hours of training has given me the platform to undertake this level of torture:D

I hope that makes sense, but my driving force is that i have the will and health to put myself through this..many would like to but are unable due to circumstances beyond one's control im afraid:( I WILL be reminding myself of this come sunday when im 9 hours into the race.

All the best.

anyone wishing to sponsor me, pop me a PM and ill send you the link. Id post the link here, but you know what internet lurkers are like..i dont allow photo's of me in lycra and my family to be viewed for free...it costs a donation:D

that makes sense - you do it because you can, not in a show-off way, but because you're grateful to be blessed with a body that can... a kind of celebration of it. I'm honestly impressed.... and one of those who probably couldn't, so admire your effort all the more.

Good luck (if that's the right word for it!) and take care.

weescot Apr 6th 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9288461)
that makes sense - you do it because you can, not in a show-off way, but because you're grateful to be blessed with a body that can... a kind of celebration of it. I'm honestly impressed.... and one of those who probably couldn't, so admire your effort all the more.

HC - trust me, you could if you wanted to.... three stages to change "probably couldn't" to "can" ....

1. Decide you want to do it (regardless of where you are now)
2. Commit to the time required then get on with working up to a basic level of fitness at a pace you are comfortable with
3. Decide on what event/goal you set yourself, then train hard for it.

Several of us have just done the Abu dhabi triathlon. As I say to many, I couldn't run for a bus 6 months ago and am still slow/last in the training sessions. But my mantra has "I'd rather be last than sat on my ...ar$e.... Thankfully I am not last all the time now

In short, just be self discipliined and get your body to a certain level of fitness, then the rest is ALL in the mind...

commander Apr 6th 2011 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9288461)

Bet you could...unless of course there are health issues

Hello.Kitty Apr 6th 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9288494)

there's the physical aspect - and physically, yes, there's no reason stopping me - and the mental... and I know I couldn't (or wouldn't, to be honest) dedicate myself to it mentally...

I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can do virtually anything once you set your mind to it... but yes, you just need to set your mind and believe in yourself first (this is coming from someone who found that she didn't need any pain relief in labour).

UKCityGent Apr 7th 2011 5:33 am

Good luck commander - remember the first step in the race is a victory !

weasel central Apr 7th 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 9290843)
Good luck commander - remember the first step in the race is a victory !

Don't show up to make up the numbers, get out and give it a proper go. Its not about taking part, its about winning.

commander Apr 7th 2011 6:45 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9290912)
Don't show up to make up the numbers, get out and give it a proper go. Its not about taking part, its about winning.

that is true..ill be going hard from the outset!! Treat the pain in compartments. It will move on to another area eventually..(or something else will hurt more)

I think the AD triathlon i completed last month will be tougher anyway and ive trained hard for 6 months for this, so bring it on.

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever..

cheers for the support.

weasel central Apr 7th 2011 7:15 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9290938)
that is true..ill be going hard from the outset!! Treat the pain in compartments. It will move on to another area eventually..(or something else will hurt more)

I think the AD triathlon i completed last month will be tougher anyway and ive trained hard for 6 months for this, so bring it on.

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever..

cheers for the support.

:thumbup: Good luck and push hard. You'll know how well you trained when you see the others start to fall back around you. :thumbup:

Millhouse Apr 7th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9288494)

my eczema stopped me as I just couldn't do the swimming.

weescot Apr 7th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9291423)
my eczema stopped me as I just couldn't do the swimming.

... it hasn't stopped me, and even improved my eczema - the sea is near perfect conditions/temperature to train in :)

Patsy Stoned Apr 7th 2011 4:04 pm

Not to detract from The Commander's amazing achievements and efforts but this Ironman team constantly move me to tears when I watch them.

commander Apr 11th 2011 9:02 am

Cracked it yesterday. 10h37.

Chuffed to bits.

kittycat1 Apr 11th 2011 9:04 am

woohoo!!! Well done! Sterling job! are you laid up today?

Millhouse Apr 11th 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9297667)

Chuffed to bits.

chuffed or chaffed?

weescot Apr 11th 2011 11:48 am

Pat on the back old bean. You should be chuffed - great time too.

weasel central Apr 11th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9297667)

Chuffed to bits.

Good job..

Shit time mind :thumbup:

just kidding

Patsy Stoned Apr 11th 2011 12:29 pm

Well done sweetie xxxx

Blue Cat May 1st 2011 4:14 am

How did the Iron Man thing go? hope you raised a fortune :thumbsup:

commander May 1st 2011 5:29 am

went well thanks, raised over 4000GBP which was amazing.

Thanks very much to everyone who sponsored me. really appreciated it.

And for those who were waiting until i had finished before sponsoring me, well its not too late, and i did finish...

And for those of you who couldnt spare a dirham, shame on you:D

The race itself was a brilliant experience. I completed it in 10h38m. Its a good time for a 1st attempt, with loads of room for improvement for my next one.

Time breakdown as follows:

Swim 3.8K: 1h10m was expecting better but given the 2000 people mass start, it wasnt a bad time at all.

this gives an insight of the swim start..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1zMcjnVfM

Bike 180K: 5H14m Happy with that. Did make the rookie error of stopping for a piss when i was in full tilt. Should have pissed myself, would have saved me 4-5minutes i think. Also think i didnt put the hammer down quite as much as i could have..

Run 42.2K: 4h05m Satisfied with that (not happy though) i was gunning for a 3:40 marathon but i ran a little out of steam. Classic sign was when my heartrate was dropping cause my legs couldnt keep up with the demand and i couldnt pick it up...

Overall, 10h38m is regarded as a pretty decent Ironman time. I came 93rd Male.

here is some chicks video diary of the race. Pretty good, if not a little yankified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egUOc...eature=related

Millsyisland May 1st 2011 12:28 pm

A 4h 5min marathon after what had come before that is impressive to say the least - I would be very happy with that on its own.

Well done - please pm me the 'justgiving' details and I'll add a couple of quid to the pot!

Blue Cat May 1st 2011 1:19 pm

Well done Commander, at least you finished it, I think those times are amazing!

commander May 1st 2011 1:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv42S...eature=related

this is a better video of the day...really shows how different a mass sea swim is..

and the dolphins.....superb.