Tedx Dubai

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:59 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tedx Dubai

Anyone going?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Tedx Dubai

Originally Posted by shiva
Anyone going?
I'd ****ing love to but can't...

What's your favourite TED talk?

Mine is comfortably the German chap who talks about poverty etc with moving graphs/charts/diagrams etc. It's mind blowing.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd ****ing love to but can't...

What's your favourite TED talk?

Mine is comfortably the German chap who talks about poverty etc with moving graphs/charts/diagrams etc. It's mind blowing.
You mean Swedish. Hand Rosling
http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...ever_seen.html

It's got to be up there but no idea if I even have a favourite
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva
You mean Swedish. Hand Rosling
http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...ever_seen.html

It's got to be up there but no idea if I even have a favourite
Close enough.

I could spend hours watching them.

Are you going?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who rave about this TED stuff, but I don't really get the point. Many of them are the 'social media is the cure for everything' crowd, which rather put me off.

Explanations and purpose welcome.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
I know people who rave about this TED stuff, but I don't really get the point. Many of them are the 'social media is the cure for everything' crowd, which rather put me off.

I don't like or watch those ones.

I like to see things that make me go 'wow'... like the link Shiva gave.

Being told that everybody needs to say 'how are you today' or needs to be nice to the person on their left on the tube is all lovely but utterly hopeless.

I see it as a way to learn something from some incredible minds.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like or watch those ones.

I like to see things that make me go 'wow'... like the link Shiva gave.

Being told that everybody needs to say 'how are you today' or needs to be nice to the person on their left on the tube is all lovely but utterly hopeless.

I see it as a way to learn something from some incredible minds.

Those ones? Those what? It is just a load of people giving talks on various topics? What's the purpose?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Those ones? Those what? It is just a load of people giving talks on various topics? What's the purpose?
Sorry, I meant the ones you talk about 'social media in the 21st century' type things.

They are basically talks around the world (mainly US I think)...they are on a mass of different topics...for example;

Animals
Architecture
Design
Predictions / Warnings
Food
Mind
How we learn
Storytelling
Ocean
Space
Presentation Innovation (the link Shiva gave)
Invention
Comedy
Technology
War/Peace
Adventure

All sorts.

They have a strapline of 'Ideas Worth Spreading', they've been going longer than I've been alive and I see it as a tool to see something amazing, hear something amazing, learn something, understand something, find out something. Anything really.

Next time you have some spare time, you can go on their website www.ted.com and say 'i've got 5 minutes, amaze me' and you'll see some awesome shit.

Don't get me wrong, the green/environmental stuff is boring and obviously none of the women one there have a clue but the rest is mega.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:38 am
Bored liberal

Thanks Scamp. That makes more sense

Is there a list of talks in Dubai?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:47 am
Account Closed

Thanks Scamp. That makes more sense

Is there a list of talks in Dubai?
http://www.tedxdubai.com/speakplace/

Not sure I'd like all of them. Favourite would probably be the Solar one...but worth investigating
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:29 am
**** it we'll do it live

Close enough.

I could spend hours watching them.

Are you going?
yes
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:32 am
**** it we'll do it live

knowledge in and of itself has no purpose, its application though can be quiet handy from time to time

just go to the main site and watch some videos, most do not include social media references. start with Hans Rosling.

as an aside i am under no illusions that the Dubai one will compare to the US one however it is free and if just one talk is interesting then ill be happy.
the US one is crazy expensive and ridiculously exclusive, think presidents, CEO's etc
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:39 am
Banned

Max Fly is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't get it either Meow- People are so strange, aren't they.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Max Fly
I don't get it either Meow- People are so strange, aren't they.
strange is stalking an internet board constantly, after repeated bans and rejections from the woman you are stalking. Strange is being able to forget you have been outed as a grade A asshole, appalling gambler and all round shister.
You sir are the very definition of ****ing strange.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The design/tech ones are great usually.

Be intrigued to know what one of these is like live though, as it's all web watching for me :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.