British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Teachers, Strikes & Core Values (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/teachers-strikes-core-values-739679/)

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2011 5:14 am

Teachers, Strikes & Core Values

So my younger son's school (in UK) will be closed on 30th November because the teachers are going on strike. Fair enough, I suppose—I imagine they have the right to strike. However, on 28th November the school is closed for Jubilee Day (deferred from the summer because Jubilee Day fell during the summer holidays). Now, I can't see that Jubilee Day is a statutory holiday, and therefore the teachers have no statutory right to a day off, and I wouldn't imagine they have a contractual right, either.

My son's schools is 400 years old and has gained Academy status. The school's introductory web page is littered with words like core values, innovation, outstanding care, mutual respect, challenge, support, growth and stature.

So I've asked the headteacher to cancel the closure on 28th and use that day to make up for 30th, so that she and her staff can demonstrate to their students all the core values, innovations, stature, mutual respect and so on.

Should I hold my breath?

Millhouse Nov 22nd 2011 5:17 am

Re: Teachers, Strikes & Core Values

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9747382)
So my younger son's school (in UK) will be closed on 30th November because the teachers are going on strike. Fair enough, I suppose—I imagine they have the right to strike. However, on 28th November the school is closed for Jubilee Day (deferred from the summer because Jubilee Day fell during the summer holidays). Now, I can't see that Jubilee Day is a statutory holiday, and therefore the teachers have no statutory right to a day off, and I wouldn't imagine they have a contractual right, either.

My son's schools is 400 years old and has gained Academy status. The school's introductory web page is littered with words like core values, innovation, outstanding care, mutual respect, challenge, support, growth and stature.

So I've asked the headteacher to cancel the closure on 28th and use that day to make up for 30th, so that she and her staff can demonstrate to their students all the core values, innovations, stature, mutual respect and so on.

Should I hold my breath?

I think you have already wasted too much time thinking about this...

mentalist Nov 22nd 2011 5:51 am

Who do you think you are? A school won't change their policy simply because of one parent's opinion. Try setting up a petition if you are sincere.

Morecambe Mindy Nov 22nd 2011 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9747382)

Should I hold my breath?

I think you should've mentioned your concerns a bit sooner, as I can't see them cancelling Jubilee Day now.

Have to say, I think its a bit :huh: that they even had a Jubilee Day holiday planned for November, far too late, and not even necessary as the Jubilee was celebrated by anyone who wanted to in the summer and if they were already off on holidays on that day, they've hardly missed out have they?

Therefore in answer, I would say don't hold your breath.

kittycat1 Nov 22nd 2011 6:07 am

Why are they striking? dotehyhave a valid reason or is it pay?

NorthernLad Nov 22nd 2011 6:20 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9747428)
Why are they striking? dotehyhave a valid reason or is it pay?

All the unions want the government to magically conjure up some money so that their members can continue on their cushy numbers. Forget a double-dip recession, Eurozone problems etc..., these people have a right to retire early on good pensions.

Meow Nov 22nd 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9747444)
All the unions want the government to magically conjure up some money so that their members can continue on their cushy numbers. Forget a double-dip recession, Eurozone problems etc..., these people have a right to retire early on good pensions.

This drives me nuts. Why can't people see that the old pension system (final salary) simply cannot be sustained? It's just not viable with people living longer and the drain on companies and goverment is massive. It's tough, but that's the facts for everyone, so we all have to live with it.

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 9747416)
I think you should've mentioned your concerns a bit sooner, as I can't see them cancelling Jubilee Day now.

Have to say, I think its a bit :huh: that they even had a Jubilee Day holiday planned for November, far too late, and not even necessary as the Jubilee was celebrated by anyone who wanted to in the summer and if they were already off on holidays on that day, they've hardly missed out have they?

Therefore in answer, I would say don't hold your breath.

Was only informed today of the closure.

What gets me (as I think you've all guessed) is that the school promotes itself as innovative, super-caring, student-focussed blah blah blah, yet the teachers get YET ANOTHER bloody holiday but would they consider using that to compensate for the day's strike? Would they heck.

kittycat1 Nov 22nd 2011 8:09 am

bahtatboy- I don't agree withyou that they should use the holiday as a strike day- the whole point of striking is to get yourself heard- if your striking on a national holiday noone would pay attention. Itw ould be like striking on a Sunday- pointless!

Millsyisland Nov 22nd 2011 8:17 am

No-one will pay attention anyway, it'll just irritate the parents who have to make alternative arrangements for their kids.

As Meow says, I don't know where they think the extra money to fund their unsustainable pensions and benefits can come from, and how striking will help, goodness only knows.....

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9747553)
bahtatboy- I don't agree withyou that they should use the holiday as a strike day- the whole point of striking is to get yourself heard- if your striking on a national holiday noone would pay attention. Itw ould be like striking on a Sunday- pointless!

I'm saying that they can go ahead and strike on 30th and make their point, but that they have a responsibility to their students (and enough bloody holidays already) to ensure that what the students miss on 30th they'll be compensated for on 28th.

I was on the board of governors of my kids' primary school, and there were going to be a couple of missed days at the beginning of the autumn term because furniture and stuff needed rearranging after the builders had been in in the summer. I suggested that the teachers come in a couple of days early and do what they needed to do so that school could start as planned. The look of horror on the faces of the teacher governors and chair (the headteacher) was something I won't forget. I then asked how the missed days' education would be made up, and the answer was along the lines that they'd weave some ****ing magic and everything would be ok. Jeez.

And the employees of the Japanese company I used to work for used to strike in their lunch break, so as not to disrupt business. All marching outside with placards and headbands and shouting slogans for 45 minutes, then back at their desks on time. Only in Japan.

kittycat1 Nov 22nd 2011 8:28 am

Bahtatboy- I get what your saying but to me it kind of defeats the point of striking. if you make the time up somewhere else then you haven't really done anything. Unless you form a rally- but people don't react to people rallying in my opinion- its good for spreadinga wareness but do people listen- no- when disruption is caused they listen.

I'm not saying I condone it- i think it's ridiculous to strike over pay in the current climate with so many council budget cuts etc. Perhaps the parents should strike by not sending their kids to school of a day. Teachers would be out of jobs if everyone decided to home school their kids. Power to the people I say! :ban::focus::welcome::goodpost:

shiva Nov 22nd 2011 9:29 am

Those that can do, those that can't teach

An old saying which becomes more meaningful with every passing year

As an aside it really and I mean really pisses me off that a huge chunk of the UK wants to strike over pensions. Exactly who the **** would they like to pay for their retirement! The private sector who work far longer hours with less security and smaller pensions?

Given that they are almost exclusively labour voters I can't see why somebody hasnt pointed out in very simple terms that it ain't going to happen because labour spent all the money and then some.

Spugsy Nov 22nd 2011 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9747507)
Was only informed today of the closure.

What gets me (as I think you've all guessed) is that the school promotes itself as innovative, super-caring, student-focussed blah blah blah, yet the teachers get YET ANOTHER bloody holiday but would they consider using that to compensate for the day's strike? Would they heck.

Well if they did it wouldn't be as firm an action if they did it on a holiday would it? They are trying to get attention and rightly so if they are striking.

Both my parents were teachers and as I got older I fancied it but they both told me not to bother as the pay is crap and you get *****ed over left right and centre.

Bahtatboy Nov 22nd 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9747826)
Well if they did it wouldn't be as firm an action if they did it on a holiday would it? They are trying to get attention and rightly so if they are striking.

Both my parents were teachers and as I got older I fancied it but they both told me not to bother as the pay is crap and you get *****ed over left right and centre.

I'm not suggesting they strike on their holiday--go ahead and strike on the planned day and grab the attention, but maturely opt to work the extra holiday they get in the same week so as not to disrupt the kids' education: win-win situation, and would earn them kudos from all quarters.

Agree the pay is crap, but do they really get ****ed over that much? From what I can see the pension thing isn't actually that much of a disadvantage to them, plus they're planning to work to rule from 1st December. No more than 32 hours a week.:blink: