British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   taxi's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/taxis-575290/)

angel delight Nov 26th 2008 7:53 am

taxi's

how unreliable are they... i book a taxi and they say it willl be here in 5 minutes....... an hour later the taxi turns up!!!! then i ask to go to emaar business square in downtown burj dubai and they take me somewhere else, another taxi then takes me to the greens... im new to dubai so im not 100% on where these places are but my god...... you phone the taxi place up and they say all of our taxi drivers have thorough knowledge of dubai and all its areas... yeah whatever... sorry guys but i never been so stressed out in all my life:curse:

Spugsy Nov 26th 2008 8:20 am

Re: taxi's

Originally Posted by angel delight (Post 7010730)
how unreliable are they... i book a taxi and they say it willl be here in 5 minutes....... an hour later the taxi turns up!!!! then i ask to go to emaar business square in downtown burj dubai and they take me somewhere else, another taxi then takes me to the greens... im new to dubai so im not 100% on where these places are but my god...... you phone the taxi place up and they say all of our taxi drivers have thorough knowledge of dubai and all its areas... yeah whatever... sorry guys but i never been so stressed out in all my life:curse:

you;dbetter get used to it petal, they are notoriously bad, never turn up, not sure where they are going - you need to learn to deal with it otherwise it'll drive you mad.

I rang a cab on thursday for as soon as possible, and it never even came - I went and flagge done down and the one I ordered never called me.

The Dean Nov 26th 2008 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7010783)
you;dbetter get used to it petal, they are notoriously bad, never turn up, not sure where they are going - you need to learn to deal with it otherwise it'll drive you mad.

I rang a cab on thursday for as soon as possible, and it never even came - I went and flagge done down and the one I ordered never called me.

That's always the best way.............

............. and you sometimes find that pretty African girls are getting out just as you're getting in........

angel delight Nov 26th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7010783)

yeah that happened to us on thursday too, had a taxi for 7, kept calling it after 7 and rebooking it but evry time we phoned to ask where it was, they said we didnt have one booked. 4 times that happened so we ended up flagging one down too which only took 10 minutes

MataHari Nov 26th 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by angel delight (Post 7010856)
yeah that happened to us on thursday too, had a taxi for 7, kept calling it after 7 and rebooking it but evry time we phoned to ask where it was, they said we didnt have one booked. 4 times that happened so we ended up flagging one down too which only took 10 minutes

so flagging one down is the way to go...problem solved

Cham128 Nov 26th 2008 11:13 am

that's ok I've only been here a week and I have to direct most of the drivers we've come across... getting to the meadows for the first time was really painful though

...saying that though we have had a few that have been really really helpful.

NedKelly63 Nov 26th 2008 2:02 pm

If you find a good one - grab their number and use em in future.

They are like hens teeth out here.

Confucius Nov 26th 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7011355)
that's ok I've only been here a week and I have to direct most of the drivers we've come across... getting to the meadows for the first time was really painful though

...saying that though we have had a few that have been really really helpful.

How's the country been treating you till now???