Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Tax Question. For Meow and other experts

Tax Question. For Meow and other experts

Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Tax Question. For Meow and other experts

Ok.

Person A dies and leaves Person B money. Person A is UK resident, Person B is not.

Person B gives said money to person C. who is also non UK resident.

why would person C be subject to UK tax if person B dies within 7 years. Surely money has already left UK/UK tax system?

What can be done to get round the issue?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:02 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Question. For Meow and other experts

Quick, broad answer which is not advice.

The gift forms part of person A's estate and the IHT liability related to them, not to the person receiving the gift. If tax is due it has to be paid from the monies paid.

IHT is payable at 40% on amount over the nil rate band, currently GBP 325,000 per person, or doubled for a married couple.

The monies are only a PET (Potentially Exempt Transfer) if the donor makes the gift when alive (say from person b) , rather than as part of an estate on death, and they must survive for a full seven years for the gift to fall out of their estate. If this person is UK domiciled then they are subject to UK IHT on their worldwide assets no matter where they are living.

It is quite common for a life policy to be taken out on the life of the donor to cover the potential tax liability. This is known as a 'gift intervivos' plan.

Hope that clarifies a little.

Sometimes I bore myself with this tax gubbins you know...
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

so knowledgeable

Thank you.x

So. What does UK domicile even mean? Both Person B and Person C have a UK passport but have not lived there for years and have no intention of returning.

Does this mean if the money is under 325,000 there is no tax payable at all? then we don't even need to be having this conversation?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
so knowledgeable

Thank you.x

So. What does UK domicile even mean? Both Person B and Person C have a UK passport but have not lived there for years and have no intention of returning.

Does this mean if the money is under 325,000 there is no tax payable at all? then we don't even need to be having this conversation?

Domicile is very different to residency. If they were bon in the UK (and their fathers were too) then they are likely to be UK domiciled. It's tricky to change your domicile but it can be done in certain cases.

All UK nationals have an allowance, known as the Nil Rate Band, and can leave a total estate of up to that value at time of death before there is any liability to Inheritance Tax.

Last edited by Meow; Oct 20th 2013 at 2:03 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm still very confused.

Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:03 pm
Bored liberal

I'm still very confused.

And that's tax for you!

Which bit is confusing?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

all of it.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.

Person A dies and leaves Person B money. Person A is UK resident, Person B is not.

Person B gives said money to person C. who is also non UK resident.

why would person C be subject to UK tax if person B dies within 7 years. Surely money has already left UK/UK tax system?

What can be done to get round the issue?
Just wondering: why would B give the money to C?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Because C would eventually inherit it from B. I don't even know how the UK tax system would even know about it let alone be entitled to getting some of it!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Because C would eventually inherit it from B. I don't even know how the UK tax system would even know about it let alone be entitled to getting some of it!
B 'giving to' C is very different from C 'inheriting from' B............. whether you are in the UK tax environment or not............. I think...............
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I just feel sorry for D, E and F, who's going to take care of them? G has a full-time job and I certainly wouldn't trust H.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I just feel sorry for D, E and F, who's going to take care of them? G has a full-time job and I certainly wouldn't trust H.
I'm surprised you stopped there. I'm mostly concerned about I.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

There may be none left for anyone if HRH gets her paws on it!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The question can be paraphrased as
"How can I avoid tax without paying an accountant for sound professional advice ?"
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:10 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The question can be paraphrased as
"How can I avoid tax without paying an accountant for sound professional advice ?"
I won't give specific advice over the forums any more. Far too many people want free advice, especially when it comes to tax and finance matters.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.