Reload this Page >

Tax if working for a UK company from Dubai

Tax if working for a UK company from Dubai

Old Apr 26th 2023, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Yas2023 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax if working for a UK company from Dubai

Hi

I am looking into working for a UK company but being based out here in Dubai. I already am classed as a non uk resident as I have hardly visited UK in the last 10 years. If I start working for UK based company remotely out here and visit the UK max for a couple of weeks a year do I have to pay UK tax? If I am exempted what do I need to do exactly?
Old May 8th 2023, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Duoduo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax if working for a UK company from Dubai

If you are a UAE resident, its irrelevant where the company is based. You will pay tax in accordance with your full time residency i.e. Dubai having no personal income tax. You are officially meant to inform HMRC when you leave the country by either including on your last tax return or completing SA109 form.
Old May 15th 2023, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

When you say ‘based’ in Dubai do you have residency?

What are the terms of your employment with the UK company ? Is it your choice to work from Dubai ? How and where are the UK company paying you ?

It’s not always as simple as being tax free simply because you sit in Dubai working.

Old May 16th 2023, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that the UK company doesn't try to put you on the payroll in the UK and deduct income tax and NI. You will need to be treated as a contractor, paid gross, and, if you're being treated similar to an employee, with employer's NI added on top.

If you visit the UK for the limited purpose of meetings, training, visiting the company's client's offices, etc., you won't have any problems with UK income tax liability, and while you're there you can do ad hoc tasks like checking email, but you would start having tax liability issues if you start doing your usual work while physically present in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 16th 2023 at 12:08 am.
Old May 16th 2023, 5:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yas2023
Hi

I am looking into working for a UK company but being based out here in Dubai. I already am classed as a non uk resident as I have hardly visited UK in the last 10 years. If I start working for UK based company remotely out here and visit the UK max for a couple of weeks a year do I have to pay UK tax? If I am exempted what do I need to do exactly?
The UK firm should have you on the books as an overseas consultant or similar - people I know who do this have their own trade license and visa and invoice the UK firm each month - this may open you up to UAE corporate tax though so you will need to get yourself registered and above board here as well.

It is worth getting yourself a UAE Tax resident certificate as HMRC may need proof you are not a UK tax resident: https://tax.gov.ae/en/services/issua...rtificate.aspx

Old Sep 14th 2023, 10:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Please take expert advice, rather than from internet randoms. Some of the comments here are not corect. I cover this sort of thing as part of my business. See signature for more.