British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tax Free Salary And Taxed Salary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tax-free-salary-taxed-salary-553166/)

smurtaza Aug 4th 2008 2:18 pm

Tax Free Salary And Taxed Salary

Hi,

Do you guys agree that if one of my friend is paying taxes at a blended rate of 33%, he would be making more money and living in a better developed country then UAE,Oman or Saudia?Just for a general idea, how can we compare the salary in US (say $8.5K per month-after tax) with the salary in MiddleEast (say Oman $5K per month - tax free)?

Thanks,

Shadya Aug 4th 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Tax Free Salary And Taxed Salary

What a silly question? How can you make such a comparison without looking at the entire package. In my hubby's case, he would have to more than double his basic UAE salary to get the same overall remuneration back in the UK. Sadly for him, such opportunities back home in his profession are only for younger men, so here we will have to stay until another suitable overseas posting arises.

smurtaza Aug 4th 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 6644421)
What a silly question? How can you make such a comparison without looking at the entire package. In my hubby's case, he would have to more than double his basic UAE salary to get the same overall remuneration back in the UK. Sadly for him, such opportunities back home in his profession are only for younger men, so here we will have to stay until another suitable overseas posting arises.

Yep I am stunned by the recent offer in Oman and therefore asked this silly ques coz in US even after blended taxes my salary (at the end of the year) seems much more higher?

Just Browsing Aug 4th 2008 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 6644442)
Yep I am stunned by the recent offer in Oman and therefore asked this silly ques coz in US even after blended taxes my salary (at the end of the year) seems much more higher?

Most salaries in Oman are not that high, but it also costs a lot less to live here so it balances out. Also factor in the cultural aspects as well, Oman is a lovely country with very welcoming people with lots of "outdoors" things to do.

Dutchie Aug 4th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 6644407)
Hi,

Do you guys agree that if one of my friend is paying taxes at a blended rate of 33%, he would be making more money and living in a better developed country then UAE,Oman or Saudia?Just for a general idea, how can we compare the salary in US (say $8.5K per month-after tax) with the salary in MiddleEast (say Oman $5K per month - tax free)?

Thanks,

You just don't give up do you?

Ozzidoc Aug 4th 2008 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6644527)
You just don't give up do you?

Not sure if you are new to BE or are re-incarnated.....if the former.... do a search for smurtaza "all threads started" or whatever the option is....months and months of entertainment.

Dutchie Aug 4th 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6644535)
Not sure if you are new to BE or are re-incarnated.....if the former.... do a search for smurtaza "all threads started" or whatever the option is....months and months of entertainment.

Hi,

New... But thanks for the tip

Bob Aug 4th 2008 3:34 pm

You can't compare without specific info.

For a start, tax will depend on total compensation and location, you've got federal, you might have state, county and/or city taxes. You might as well consider medical insurance costs in the mix too.

Madam Medusa Aug 4th 2008 3:35 pm

ahh...all is clear now, i was thinking it was just me not getting it...!!

MM, xx

smurtaza Aug 4th 2008 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6644570)
You can't compare without specific info.

For a start, tax will depend on total compensation and location, you've got federal, you might have state, county and/or city taxes. You might as well consider medical insurance costs in the mix too.

Do all medical insurance from employer cover dental or dental is a seperate entity?

Bob Aug 4th 2008 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 6644595)
Do all medical insurance from employer cover dental or dental is a seperate entity?

dental and vision is seperate...you've got so many different levels of cover, depending on what the employer stumps in and the level of cover, you could be looking at personally paying nothing a month to a couple grand, average is around $250-500 for a young healthy couple with a kid if lucky.

Meow Aug 5th 2008 6:28 am

Ah, yes. The classy piece of work that wanted advice about approaching women. :rolleyes:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552531

-

Pollyana Aug 8th 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6646538)
Ah, yes. The classy piece of work that wanted advice about approaching women. :rolleyes:

-

which is a bit concerning ....wonder if his wife knows what he's up to while she's looking after the kids.......

smurtaza Aug 9th 2008 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6646538)

-

Approaching arab woman mate.