Tax brain

Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax brain

Just seeking confirmation that my logic is reasonable please

I've just received a fairly sizable refund cheque from HMRC. This is for the year 2011-2012. During that year I was a higher rate taxpayer and paid tax through PAYE, no other earnings etc.
I left UK for here in early January 2012, filled in the R85 and received the NT coding.

I'm trying to work out if the refund is mine to keep based on the assumption that: PAYE is calculated on 12 months earnings/12. I only worked for 9 months which means my earnings in the higher rate tax bracket weren't as forecast. Therefore I would be due a refund on that basis. Does that sound right or is it wishful thinking on my part and they've made a mistake?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Tax brain

Originally Posted by mikewot View Post

I've just received a fairly sizable refund cheque from HMRC. This is for the year 2011-2012. During that year I was a higher rate taxpayer and paid tax through PAYE, no other earnings etc.
I left UK for here in early January 2012, filled in the R85 and received the NT coding.

I'm trying to work out if the refund is mine to keep based on the assumption that: PAYE is calculated on 12 months earnings/12. I only worked for 9 months which means my earnings in the higher rate tax bracket weren't as forecast. Therefore I would be due a refund on that basis. Does that sound right or is it wishful thinking on my part and they've made a mistake?
Right - you were taxed monthly assuming that your annual earnings would be 12 times your monthly earnings.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt View Post
Right - you were taxed monthly assuming that your annual earnings would be 12 times your monthly earnings.
Thanks, getting excited now
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is correct.

Save, don't spend (all of) it.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Yes that is correct.

Save, don't spend (all of) it.
Getting very excited now First time HMRC have ever given me a refund since I started work uuummmm, 42 years ago (now 56).
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I can give you a sure tip for the racing at Ayr !
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:14 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

You will also have underutilised your Personal Allowance for the year, which will result in a tax credit being due. Run your figures through this tax calculator and it will calculate your Income Tax/ NI bill for the year, then deduct the tax you actually paid to check your tax rebate is correct.

[J]
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

For those interested an update. Rang HMRC yesterday to query it and they thought there was a minor error which they'd check and get back to me (by mail). Letter arrived this morning (this isn't the HMRC we all know and love surely!) and all was correct, get the cheque in the bank :-) Hoorah!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Send it back. The Treasury needs £8million to pay for next week's funeral.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

I'm not sending half of my refund back!!!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:51 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

For those interested an update. Rang HMRC yesterday to query it and they thought there was a minor error which they'd check and get back to me (by mail). Letter arrived this morning (this isn't the HMRC we all know and love surely!) and all was correct, get the cheque in the bank :-) Hoorah!
I am happy for you that they managed to get it right for a change!