British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tax brain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tax-brain-793460/)

mikewot Apr 9th 2013 1:56 pm

Tax brain

Just seeking confirmation that my logic is reasonable please :)

I've just received a fairly sizable refund cheque from HMRC. This is for the year 2011-2012. During that year I was a higher rate taxpayer and paid tax through PAYE, no other earnings etc.
I left UK for here in early January 2012, filled in the R85 and received the NT coding.

I'm trying to work out if the refund is mine to keep based on the assumption that: PAYE is calculated on 12 months earnings/12. I only worked for 9 months which means my earnings in the higher rate tax bracket weren't as forecast. Therefore I would be due a refund on that basis. Does that sound right or is it wishful thinking on my part and they've made a mistake?

gottheTshirt Apr 9th 2013 2:01 pm

Re: Tax brain

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10649073)

I've just received a fairly sizable refund cheque from HMRC. This is for the year 2011-2012. During that year I was a higher rate taxpayer and paid tax through PAYE, no other earnings etc.
I left UK for here in early January 2012, filled in the R85 and received the NT coding.

I'm trying to work out if the refund is mine to keep based on the assumption that: PAYE is calculated on 12 months earnings/12. I only worked for 9 months which means my earnings in the higher rate tax bracket weren't as forecast. Therefore I would be due a refund on that basis. Does that sound right or is it wishful thinking on my part and they've made a mistake?

Right - you were taxed monthly assuming that your annual earnings would be 12 times your monthly earnings.

mikewot Apr 9th 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 10649081)
Right - you were taxed monthly assuming that your annual earnings would be 12 times your monthly earnings.

Thanks, getting excited now :thumbsup:

Meow Apr 9th 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10649073)

Yes that is correct. :)

Save, don't spend (all of) it.

mikewot Apr 9th 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10649091)
Yes that is correct. :)

Save, don't spend (all of) it.

Getting very excited now :thumbsup: First time HMRC have ever given me a refund since I started work uuummmm, 42 years ago (now 56).

scot47 Apr 9th 2013 4:05 pm

I can give you a sure tip for the racing at Ayr !

Johnnyboy11 Apr 9th 2013 5:14 pm

You will also have underutilised your Personal Allowance for the year, which will result in a tax credit being due. Run your figures through this tax calculator and it will calculate your Income Tax/ NI bill for the year, then deduct the tax you actually paid to check your tax rebate is correct.

[J]

mikewot Apr 10th 2013 5:02 pm

For those interested an update. Rang HMRC yesterday to query it and they thought there was a minor error which they'd check and get back to me (by mail). Letter arrived this morning (this isn't the HMRC we all know and love surely!) and all was correct, get the cheque in the bank :-) Hoorah!

scot47 Apr 10th 2013 5:28 pm

Send it back. The Treasury needs £8million to pay for next week's funeral.

mikewot Apr 10th 2013 5:33 pm

I'm not sending half of my refund back!!!

TopNik Apr 11th 2013 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10651809)
For those interested an update. Rang HMRC yesterday to query it and they thought there was a minor error which they'd check and get back to me (by mail). Letter arrived this morning (this isn't the HMRC we all know and love surely!) and all was correct, get the cheque in the bank :-) Hoorah!

I am happy for you that they managed to get it right for a change!