British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Swimming Pool Etiquette (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/swimming-pool-etiquette-679279/)

kittycat1 Aug 2nd 2010 4:49 am

Re: Swimming Pool Etiquette

oh pats, please tell me you are fabulous though? I need to know ab fab lives on!

Forsu Aug 2nd 2010 5:13 am

Step3: get the lifeguard or whoever in some kind of authority. They will hate it but put them on the spot. Get them to enforce this.
When the lifeguard(s) is not busy giving swimming lessons, he is busy chatting with the maids/nannies.

On another note, is it too much to shower before you get into the pool?

commander Aug 2nd 2010 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Forsu (Post 8745604)
When the lifeguard(s) is not busy giving swimming lessons, he is busy chatting with the maids/nannies.

On another note, is it too much to shower before you get into the pool?

why? the chlorine takes care of that

Patsy Stoned Aug 2nd 2010 5:44 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8745565)
oh pats, please tell me you are fabulous though? I need to know ab fab lives on!

Ofcourse I am darling..........just ask Weescot and Gracie
I am Patsy!! :D

Grace O Malley Aug 2nd 2010 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8745677)
Ofcourse I am darling..........just ask Weescot and Gracie
I am Patsy!! :D

Lol absolutely Patsy

Charismatic Aug 2nd 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 8744528)
touch your bum as they pass.:frown:

We’ve met? I only do it when overtaking from behind though. I’m fair though, if you overtake me you can slap my toosh. Equality and such ;).

I had an embarrassing incident at the pool once, there where about 3 other witnesses and a victim. I was lazily lapping the pool on my back not really watching where I was going but still semi-spatially aware. Knew I was coming close to the edge of the pool when suddenly there was this soft bump from behind my head. “Curious” I thought. “I know. I’ll have run into a foam toy” while reached around to pull it aside, to my horror (and secret delight of course :rofl:) I very suddenly aware of the fact that I had in fact run aground on a smashing set of uber-norks and then had reached out and grab one :eek:. Turned over and mumbled about being terribly sorry (what could I do? I didn’t think offering to rub it better was going to remedy the situation) before swimming off with a face about the same colour as beetroot (probably). Must have looked like such a perv :o.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2010 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8745771)
We’ve met? I only do it when overtaking from behind though. I’m fair though, if you overtake me you can slap my toosh. Equality and such ;).

I had an embarrassing incident at the pool once, there where about 3 other witnesses and a victim. I was lazily lapping the pool on my back not really watching where I was going but still semi-spatially aware. Knew I was coming close to the edge of the pool when suddenly there was this soft bump from behind my head. “Curious” I thought. “I know. I’ll have run into a foam toy” while reached around to pull it aside, to my horror (and secret delight of course :rofl:) I very suddenly aware of the fact that I had in fact run aground on a smashing set of uber-norks and then had reached out and grab one :eek:. Turned over and mumbled about being terribly sorry (what could I do? I didn’t think offering to rub it better was going to remedy the situation) before swimming off with a face about the same colour as beetroot (probably). Must have looked like such a perv :o.

This reminds me of the roller-skating incident I had at "RollerBury" in Bury St. Edmunds.

I was going along, stumbled, fell and reach out to break my fall. In front of me, and through no fault of my own, was a rather large pair of breasts owned by a very nice young lady.

She took it quite well really.

Charismatic Aug 2nd 2010 6:34 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8745777)
She took it quite well really.

She kicked you? :lol:

ctfc Aug 2nd 2010 8:11 am

Chuck a Lion bar in the pool.

Point and it and scream.

Wait 30 seconds for everyone to spot what looks like a floating turd. Then pick it up, sniff it and take a bite.

No one will get in your way again.

NB. Be careful doing this in the company of small children as there is a slight chance of picking up a genuine floater if not paying attention carefully.

Inselaffen Aug 2nd 2010 8:18 am

when I'm im water I'm usually to busy watching out for Japanese whalers to worry about anything else!

commander Aug 2nd 2010 8:24 am

http://www.break.com/index/lifeguard.html

admon Aug 2nd 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8745467)
okay....here is the scoop.

I go swimming every single day and the same happens when they dont have the ropes out. The pool at the club usually has 1 lane that is designated for swimming.

When that rope is not there, on occassion you get the odd folk that just loiter around where you are obviously swimming.

Step one: They possibly dont realise, so politley explain to them that whilst this is a place for relaxing, it is (by the name of the thing) a swimming pool and you would like to swim lengths.

Step two: (if 1 fails) keep on swimming. If you are doing freestyle you have an advantage as your head is underwater for periods. During this period when you go to stretch out your leading arm, ensure this collides with the stomache (accidently of course) of the prat. Dont say sorry..never, because your not. If they make a comment then stop and kick off big style with them about being tossers.

Step3: get the lifeguard or whoever in some kind of authority. They will hate it but put them on the spot. Get them to enforce this.

Step4: if its kids, drown them

Step5: repeat

It is just bloody rude when there is a whole pool to laze around at and people deliberatly get in a swimmers way.

That said, if the pool is really really busy with people relaxing, then you need to adopt step1 and hope for the best.

some ginger scottish geezer insisted on continuing to swim lengths in the pool despite my continued attempts to stop him - I wanted to know why he was swimming in my private pool in my back garden..

seven seas Aug 2nd 2010 6:15 pm

this is quite funny!
well done everyone!

MacScot Aug 3rd 2010 8:56 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 8744679)
but apparently ejaculating isn't!

Nah...you'll get barred and not allowed to come again.