Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Swicthing jobs and leaving the UAE in between, what happens to bank account?

Swicthing jobs and leaving the UAE in between, what happens to bank account?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

rachyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swicthing jobs and leaving the UAE in between, what happens to bank account?

I have a new job starting in August and my visa is currently being cancelled by my current employer. My current job ends in 4 weeks and I am off back to the UK in between.
I have been hearing rumours that my bank account will be inactive as soon as my gratuity goes into it. Is this true? I have loan payments coming out of my bank account so can't afford to have it not working.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Does it vary from bank to bank?

Thanks

Last edited by rachyp; Jun 21st 2010 at 1:50 pm. Reason: wrong title!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:39 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swicthing jobs and leaving the UAE in between, what happens to bank account?

I changed jobs about 6 months ago and had no problems. I informed the bank in advance that I was changing jobs and gave them a copy of the new employment contract.

I bank with HSBC

Hope this helps
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swicthing jobs and leaving the UAE in between, what happens to bank account?

Originally Posted by rachyp
I have a new job starting in August and my visa is currently being cancelled by my current employer. My current job ends in 4 weeks and I am off back to the UK in between.
I have been hearing rumours that my bank account will be inactive as soon as my gratuity goes into it. Is this true? I have loan payments coming out of my bank account so can't afford to have it not working.

Thanks
depends but if you have loan payments dont be surprised if they take away nearly double the loan to cover those. the company will tell the bank when your last salary goes in, so they can freeze it then. which bank?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Go and see them before you leave, simples.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachyp

Thanks
It is standard practice for most banks to freeze an account when they receive a payment from an employer marked as 'final payment'. Unless you have outstanding debts or loans it should be immediately unfrozen. Banks to this to ensure that the money in yur current account is directed to your debts with them and not withdrawn.

If you have a new written contract, then you need to speak to your bank (not the counter staff!) and explain the situation to them. Their helpfulness may vary depending on who you bak with and speak to. I may be able to assist if you have problems.

-