British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sweet-sour-chicken-balls-775169/)

mentalist Oct 20th 2012 7:05 am

Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but my family and I adore traditional Chinese (British style) battered chicken balls served with rice and a thick sweet and sour sauce. I enjoyed two different versions in Manchester and Northants earlier this month, both superb. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any Chinese restaurants or takeaways serving this particular delicacy over here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? After all, there are places here now serving British style chicken tikka masala.

Kix Oct 20th 2012 8:54 am

Re: Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10340254)
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but my family and I adore traditional Chinese (British style) battered chicken balls served with rice and a thick sweet and sour sauce. I enjoyed two different versions in Manchester and Northants earlier this month, both superb. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any Chinese restaurants or takeaways serving this particular delicacy over here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? After all, there are places here now serving British style chicken tikka masala.

This is a euphemism isn't it....

Bahtatboy Oct 20th 2012 9:22 am

I don't think so but there's certainly a solecism in there.

busybee2 Oct 20th 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10340254)

never found them here..... when we go back to bonnie scotland they do a pretty good one but not in the uae.

Bob Oct 20th 2012 12:38 pm

Make your own?

Bit of batter for the chicken....bit of pineapple, vinegar, sugar and corn starch for the goop.

Pain in the arse compared to a take away I know, but still, if there's nothing else around :/

mentalist Oct 21st 2012 7:51 am

We tried China Valley next to Sanaa Dept Store on Trade Centre Road at the weekend. No balls but nice food for a good price nevertheless.

Millhouse Oct 21st 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10341527)
We tried China Valley next to Sanaa Dept Store on Trade Centre Road at the weekend. No balls but nice food for a good price nevertheless.

Not in anyway helpful for you, but the Chinese place in the Capital Hotel in Abu Dhabi used to sell them.