British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Surely this breaches the Hippocratic oath? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/surely-breaches-hippocratic-oath-792378/)

OleJanx Apr 5th 2013 10:11 am

Re: Surely this breaches the Hippocratic oath?

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10641634)
:amen: :goodpost: :amen:

+1

UKCityGent Apr 5th 2013 5:33 pm

From the original article i did not see a mention of doctors carrying out the punishment.

It seems strange that from the original SAR2m - there is a remaining SAR1m which has been outstanding for 10 years. Perhaps the prisoners family does not want to pay the remaining money.

As usual i believe there is a herd mentality, which does not look at facts without prejudice and forethought. Ignorance clouds the issues.

The KSA law states that there is a punishment for a crime. I believe it is up to the victim to demand and push the law for an outcome. The victim has demanded full payment or the consequences.

I have no problems with the sentence or with the method or the person who would carry it out.

Eva Apr 5th 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10642326)
From the original article i did not see a mention of doctors carrying out the punishment.

It seems strange that from the original SAR2m - there is a remaining SAR1m which has been outstanding for 10 years. Perhaps the prisoners family does not want to pay the remaining money.

As usual i believe there is a herd mentality, which does not look at facts without prejudice and forethought. Ignorance clouds the issues.

The KSA law states that there is a punishment for a crime. I believe it is up to the victim to demand and push the law for an outcome. The victim has demanded full payment or the consequences.

I have no problems with the sentence or with the method or the person who would carry it out.

So...how would that work then? Does the victim just look up 'professional properly qualified paralysers'' in the yellow pages then? Wait that's silly of me.
He would need to get someone to turn the pages.

UKCityGent Apr 5th 2013 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 10642357)
So...how would that work then? Does the victim just look up 'professional properly qualified paralysers'' in the yellow pages then? Wait that's silly of me.
He would need to get someone to turn the pages.

Maybe he could post a thread here ?

Your a silly billy aren't you.

The prisoner is not paralyzed now.

So he can probably do a jig as well and turn the pages of any book he desires, unlike the victim. Maybe logically the court would appoint would someone suitable - I would if the yellow pages in the US have 'professional properly qualified injectors" for death row ??

Eva Apr 5th 2013 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10642390)
Maybe he could post a thread here ?

Your a silly billy aren't you.

The prisoner is not paralyzed now.

So he can probably do a jig as well and turn the pages of any book he desires, unlike the victim. Maybe logically the court would appoint would someone suitable - I would if the yellow pages in the US have 'professional properly qualified injectors" for death row ??

I think you have misinterpreted my post.

UKCityGent Apr 5th 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 10642534)
I think you have misinterpreted my post.

I apologies - i did misinterpret you posting (as i was reading something else)

Norm_uk Apr 7th 2013 4:34 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10639110)
I would say, another truth from your wild imagination

So it's my imagination that many doctors trained in this region don't take the Hippocratic Oath?

Thirteen years in the GCC and I am still hearing shocking anecdotes about medical practitioners - usually involving money and/or gross incompetence. If it was so great here why do all the locals with money find a western trained doctor or hop on a plane and go to Europe for their treatment?

N.

Norm_uk Apr 7th 2013 4:50 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10641177)
Doctors are there to help people, nobody can argue with that. Even someone as deluded as yourself.

I have two issues:

1. Getting a doctor to paralyse a healthy human.
2. The adherence to laws from a book written hundreds of years ago.

I should know better by now having seen this shit for years, but the way religion is twisted out here at times sickens me.

It's not a matter of twisting alone. Not all religions are the same, and few forbid harm to others completely...and on top of that the followers also tend to latch on to different parts as it suits them.

N.

Norm_uk Apr 7th 2013 5:00 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10641062)
Quote me a case first so that I can comment on. Besides, Is your issue with why doctors are used to carry out court punishments or you are condemning the nature of the law itself? By the way, the Oath taken by doctors on graduation in that part of the world is something along the line “I will do my almost to serve God my religion and humanity and so on …”

The Declaration of Geneva is far more enlightened and clearly mentions "I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient" as one of it's stanza's.

That is far more ethical than the oaths taken here by many regionally trained doctors. Religions are not equal and most have as many interpretations as followers on top of that. Best to leave that out and focus on ethics and nothing else for healers - to maim deliberately is to make a mockery of the medical profession and is telling of the kind of morality some people will follow when religion and tradition are brought up.

Of course oath or not a person of conscience will not act to injure or maim for political, legal or religious considerations regardless of where they are from.

N.

jackthehat Apr 7th 2013 12:31 pm

Mmmmmm The 'Green Ink' has certainly been out today!

redShark Apr 7th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10644234)
So it's my imagination that many doctors trained in this region don't take the Hippocratic Oath?

Thirteen years in the GCC and I am still hearing shocking anecdotes about medical practitioners - usually involving money and/or gross incompetence. If it was so great here why do all the locals with money find a western trained doctor or hop on a plane and go to Europe for their treatment?

N.

I think you are mixing up the issues. What has the Hippocratic oath to do with people wanting to receive treatment in different countries. People don't go to the west for medical treatments simply because the western doctors have done a better oath than the local doctors! It is simply because they are better trained and have better facilities. For the same reasons people also go to china to seek alternative medicine and acupuncture treatments even though those treatments are widely available in the west. And, Speaking of China (which you seem to be very friendly of ) I wonder why you don't talk about the Hippocratic oath and the human ethics over there!!!!
Perhaps you need some reminder (as if) of the practices by the Chines doctors who carry out organ transplant operations (by the order of the courts) on prisoners who are awaiting execution!!

redShark Apr 7th 2013 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10644247)
The Declaration of Geneva is far more enlightened and clearly mentions "I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient" as one of it's stanza's.

That is far more ethical than the oaths taken here by many regionally trained doctors. Religions are not equal and most have as many interpretations as followers on top of that. Best to leave that out and focus on ethics and nothing else for healers - to maim deliberately is to make a mockery of the medical profession and is telling of the kind of morality some people will follow when religion and tradition are brought up.

Of course oath or not a person of conscience will not act to injure or maim for political, legal or religious considerations regardless of where they are from.

N.

Actually I forgot to highlight in my original post that the order in that Oath was deliberately made in that format because it is extremely important for the KSA doctors to understand what their role is. The Oath is telling them that, what matters first and foremost is God's rulings, represented by the Quran, then the religious rulings, and then after comes the other human values. That means they don't give a monkeys to what Geneva or other rules have to say if they contradict their God's ruling. They look upon Geneva rulings and the likes as vulnerable entities prone to manipulations by the rich and powerful. You may vastly disagree with them but nothing could ever nudge them from that stand unless, of course, some one nuke them out of existence (as has been hinted here before)

OleJanx Apr 7th 2013 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10645114)
Actually I forgot to highlight in my original post that the order in that Oath was deliberately made in that format because it is extremely important for the KSA doctors to understand what their role is. The Oath is telling them that, what matters first and foremost is God's rulings, represented by the Quran, then the religious rulings, and then after comes the other human values. That means they don't give a monkeys to what Geneva or other rules have to say if they contradict their God's ruling. They look upon Geneva rulings and the likes as vulnerable entities prone to manipulations by the rich and powerful. You may vastly disagree with them but nothing could ever nudge them from that stand unless, of course, some one nuke them out of existence (as has been hinted here before)

You really are an utter twunt, aren't you? The rulings on crippling someone if he doesn't cough up a certain amount of money have not come from Allah, but from some hypocritical imbecile with a God complex and far too much power for his limited intelligence.

britexpat76 Apr 7th 2013 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10645226)
You really are an utter twunt, aren't you? The rulings on crippling someone if he doesn't cough up a certain amount of money have not come from Allah, but from some hypocritical imbecile with a God complex and far too much power for his limited intelligence.

:amen:

Boomhauer Apr 8th 2013 4:50 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10645105)
People don't go to the west for medical treatments simply because the western doctors have done a better oath than the local doctors! It is simply because they are better trained and have better facilities.

I would also add that Western Drs. (in general) have better people skills , i.e. better able to appreciate patient's worries and queries.

Hippocratic oath does play a role; as they are likely to be less judgemental .