British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Suicide? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/suicide-788692/)

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 4:42 am

Suicide?

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Tributes...ail/story.html

sounds more like had too much to drink and fell of balcony?

Kix Feb 26th 2013 6:12 am

Re: Suicide?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10569807)
http://www.7daysindubai.com/Tributes...ail/story.html

sounds more like had too much to drink and fell of balcony?

But suicide is so much easier for the police, and the husband has already left the country. I thought that in suspicious death cases the other party is usually arrested and stuck into Al Rafa (In this case) cells until they carry out their investigations?

In one of the UK papers it says she fell out of a window (not balcony). Some great building standards there then, Jumeriah Group should be sued if they are building/occupying buildings that have such obvious defects to them (a window on a high floor big enough for a fully grown woman to fall out of).

It never ceases to amaze and sadden me the number of people who are killed falling from open windows in the UAE.

Blue Cat Feb 26th 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10569905)
But suicide is so much easier for the police, and the husband has already left the country. I thought that in suspicious death cases the other party is usually arrested and stuck into Al Rafa (In this case) cells until they carry out their investigations?

In one of the UK papers it says she fell out of a window (not balcony). Some great building standards there then, Jumeriah Group should be sued if they are building/occupying buildings that have such obvious defects to them (a window on a high floor big enough for a fully grown woman to fall out of).

It never ceases to amaze and sadden me the number of people who are killed falling from open windows in the UAE.

they must have had no grounds for the husband being arrested, it looks like an accident but labelling it suicide? she was on her honeymoon she would hardly kill herself.

Kix Feb 26th 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10569908)
they must have had no grounds for the husband being arrested, it looks like an accident but labelling it suicide? she was on her honeymoon she would hardly kill herself.

Since when does the police need grounds to arrest people?

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10569905)
Some great building standards there then, Jumeriah Group should be sued if they are building/occupying buildings that have such obvious defects to them (a window on a high floor big enough for a fully grown woman to fall out of).

Not a building defect old chap, designers can't legislate for the actions of people. Unless you are proposing windowless buildings made of rubber ;)

Kix Feb 26th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10569922)
Not a building defect old chap, designers can't legislate for the actions of people. Unless you are proposing windowless buildings made of rubber ;)

I thought there were guidelines/laws that prevented windows above a certain height being able to open past a couple of inches?

weasel decentral Feb 26th 2013 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10569925)
I thought there were guidelines/laws that prevented windows above a certain height being able to open past a couple of inches?

Not really, there are some restrictors fitted to stop the initial opening of the window but they can be lifted to open the window fully. Not really a design code though.

The only real guidelines relate to the height above the floor so kids can't get out or the use of safety glass at levels below a metre or something.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:30 am

My bedroom window opens about 10 inches.

Which seems sort of pointless because both my balconies remain 41 storeys up and quite open...

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569942)
My bedroom window opens about 10 inches.

Which seems sort of pointless because both my balconies remain 41 storeys up and quite open...

No danger of you getting out then mate ;)

I agree with Kix though, In no over country have I ever known as many people die from falling out of windows, there must be something in that?

My mate lives in Zig Zag towers, 20 floors up and when the wind gets up at least 1-2 windows will get blown off the building and come crashing to the floor. What has been done about it?? A letter telling residents to keep windows closed if its windy or they are out......................Useless

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:41 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10569955)
No danger of you getting out then mate ;)

I agree with Kix though, In no over country have I ever known as many people die from falling out of windows, there must be something in that?

My mate lives in Zig Zag towers, 20 floors up and when the wind gets up at least 1-2 windows will get blown off the building and come crashing to the floor. What has been done about it?? A letter telling residents to keep windows closed if its windy or they are out......................Useless

I can't even dangle my cock out.

That's classic. Almost as fun as when I get calls from maintenance asking to test my fire alarm. They work between 9-5.

EVERY single time they want access to all the apartments you get shitty calls asking you to be in. EVERY time without fail they end up saying they will now do a week of evenings and can come after 6pm to check.

Why not just do that in the first place?

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2013 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569960)
I can't even dangle my cock out.

That's classic. Almost as fun as when I get calls from maintenance asking to test my fire alarm. They work between 9-5.

EVERY single time they want access to all the apartments you get shitty calls asking you to be in. EVERY time without fail they end up saying they will now do a week of evenings and can come after 6pm to check.

Why not just do that in the first place?

Because that involves common sense. Something which has not been developed in these parts yet........

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 6:56 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10569981)
Because that involves common sense. Something which has not been developed in these parts yet........

Security guard gets it.

I asked him last night when they would do fire alarms in the evening.

He laughed and said, "once the people the phone all say no again."

Classic stuff.

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10569992)
Security guard gets it.

I asked him last night when they would do fire alarms in the evening.

He laughed and said, "once the people the phone all say no again."

Classic stuff.

You kissed and made up with security guard now?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10569998)
You kissed and made up with security guard now?

The one I quoted is one of my two favourites, trusted with letting people in and out of the building / lift area.

The one I opened up like a can of beans sits by the car park entrace doing....well....he does....umm....I think his role is to........

Yeah.

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2013 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10570001)

The one I opened up like a can of beans sits by the car park entrace doing....well....he does....umm....I think his role is to........

Wind Scamp up after a day at work?