British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Suggestions please for a long weekend away... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/suggestions-please-long-weekend-away-729685/)

commander Aug 23rd 2011 8:22 am

Suggestions please for a long weekend away...

Hello beautiful people of the middle east.

Im going to take my family away for a long weekend on the 8-12 September. (week after Eid as its cheaper!!)

Now my little one is 3, so part of the citeria is that travel will be by road.

Departing from Dubai, anyone got any recommends. We are looking for a nice relaxing hotel...

Im thinking of the Shangri-La in Muscat, we have been to Fujairah many many times, so not too bothered about that...

Anyone got any gems they would like to share..

cheers

mentalist Aug 23rd 2011 8:39 am

Re: Suggestions please for a long weekend away...

Tripoli is usually nice this time of the year.:p

commander Aug 23rd 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9576532)
Tripoli is usually nice this time of the year.:p

Hotel rooms rates are pretty low also. cheers ill get the kevlar looked out and head on over.

The Dean Aug 23rd 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9576505)

Im going to take my family away for a long weekend on the 8-12 September. (week after Eid as its cheaper!!)

Departing from Dubai, anyone got any recommends. We are looking for a nice relaxing hotel...

Im thinking of the Shangri-La in Muscat, we have been to Fujairah many many times, so not too bothered about that...

cheers

That is the opening weekend of the Rugby World Cup, so go somewhere with all the sports channels...........

Spugsy Aug 23rd 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9576505)

cheers

We went to Banyan Tree in RAK, it was amazing.

Meow Aug 23rd 2011 9:24 am

I stayed at the Shangri-la (Bar al Jissah) outside of Muscat a few years ago. It's a nice set of hotels with quite a few restaurants. Note there are three hotels in total. A very high end one, a 'business' one which is standard 5 star and one deemed a family hotel, which is cheapest. (I kept well away from that as it appeared to be full of screaming children.)

I'd go back, so that's a recommendation.

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2011 10:22 am

Hilton Resort at RAK, get a villa right on the beach. Been three times with my teenage kids, they love it. Not a huge amount of choice of eating, but enough for 4 days or so. The (one and only) inside bar is decidedly so-so.

rowell Aug 23rd 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9576726)
Hilton Resort at RAK, get a villa right on the beach. Been three times with my teenage kids, they love it. Not a huge amount of choice of eating, but enough for 4 days or so. The (one and only) inside bar is decidedly so-so.

And they have a duty free in the hotel! Beer delivered straight to your beach villa (chalet)

Blue Cat Aug 23rd 2011 10:34 am

I would probably head to Muscat but I would never drive it again, did that when R was younger and it was a pain the backside.

commander Aug 23rd 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 9576737)
And they have a duty free in the hotel! Beer delivered straight to your beach villa (chalet)

That hotel is already booked for the RAK half marathon...

There is a nice swim from one side of the bay to another..

Great hotel..

commander Aug 23rd 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9576740)
I would probably head to Muscat but I would never drive it again, did that when R was younger and it was a pain the backside.

4h drive from Ranches?

alitrist Aug 23rd 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9576591)
We went to Banyan Tree in RAK, it was amazing.

Not so lovely if you have little ones our 2 and 3 year old sons were bored out of their brains so we never enjoyed the peaceful experience. We may have to go back in 20 years time lol.

commander Aug 23rd 2011 11:37 am

Originally Posted by alitrist (Post 9576809)
Not so lovely if you have little ones our 2 and 3 year old sons were bored out of their brains so we never enjoyed the peaceful experience. We may have to go back in 20 years time lol.

ahh thanks, i was just about to ask Spugsy about that..

Bahtatboy Aug 23rd 2011 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9576847)
ahh thanks, i was just about to ask Spugsy about that..

Yeah, several colleagues have done it from AD, and said they certainly wouldn't want to do it with sprogs. Last colleagues who did it went when the unrest in Oman was just kicking off; when they got to the first town over the border they saw a large gathering and thought, "Ooh, a festival of some sort, let's stop and have a look". Large gathering turned out to be a mob burning down a police station...:blink:

commander Aug 23rd 2011 12:07 pm

okay, we may take a short flight somewhere...