Reload this Page >

Suddenly single in Abu Dhabi

Suddenly single in Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 10th 2014, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

talulamercedes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suddenly single in Abu Dhabi

Hi folks
So this is a difficult and horrible thread to have to start. My husband I moved to Abu Dhabi 6 months ago and a few weeks ago we separated. I decided to stay here as I like it a lot and I've got a great job, he has moved back to the UK.
So my question to you all is - any advice on a social life for a single woman in Abu Dhabi? I want to get to know more people out here - maybe through volunteering or clubs or classes or something.
Thank you for any tips you might have
Old Jun 10th 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suddenly single in Abu Dhabi

Sorry to hear that...... I am shocked at how many people I know who's marriages fail when they move out here. Had i'd of known it was going to be so rocky I might have stayed at home.... anyways.

You probably know a lot already, Ive only been out a year but I know from everyone I work with theres a lot to do out here.

First theres the drinking: Ladies nights.... although 90 percent of bars youd find yourself not needing to buy a drink anyway as they all have their resident sleezes, or locals with bottomless pockets when it comes to buying girls drinks.....

Fitness: Theres so many clubs/groups for this. All the Corniche things, running, cycling, yoga, paddleboard yoga at the Hiltonia. Yas circuit walking and cycling etc. A lot of things are advertised in the Abu Dhabi weekly magazine you see knocking around the shops, especially one off events. Ever done the mangrove kayaking?

Where do you live? On fbook theres groups for people who live in Al Reef, theyre always getting people together to do stuff. Theres pages for Reem community etc too, you dont have to live there to be in the groups. There'd be plenty of options there...

It all depends what youre into really..... all the people i know either drink into oblivion on days off or spend it running around different places and contorting their bodies into painful positions.... I know what Id prefer doing anyway...
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you expathopeful, that is helpful. I know which of the things you mentioned I prefer too! I will look into some of those things. I guess the trick is forcing yourself to get out of the house and go to things and meet people. Difficult to be an 'I' after 7 years as 'us'.
Thank you for your reply
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:00 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

In gyms you will only find jocks and the like
go to the race track and get yourself registered in any of the driving programs, much more fun and you will get to meet a better breed of people in my opinion
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by talulamercedes
Thank you expathopeful, that is helpful. I know which of the things you mentioned I prefer too! I will look into some of those things. I guess the trick is forcing yourself to get out of the house and go to things and meet people. Difficult to be an 'I' after 7 years as 'us'.
Thank you for your reply
Before I moved out here I was told unless you bite the bullet and get yourself out there it can become a lonely place.... but that being said its easy to meet people and make friends once you do go out..... have fun and good luck
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No need to be sad - you're moving to the next phase of your life

Try meetup.com

Last edited by Millhouse; Jun 11th 2014 at 5:06 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of single friends in Abu Dhabi who would be happy to give you a rattle if you get lonely.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
In gyms you will only find jocks and the like
Don't be put off by this comment - there are plenty of people who frequent gyms who wouldn't qualify as 'jocks'. I try and go 3 to 4 times a week to a small and friendly gym (only 100dhs per month), almost all gym users are willing to help, to spot you and give advice.

Anyway, I've some friends (female) that have joined classes, yoga, and have made friends through the classes.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just start saying 'Yes' to everything. It sounds cliche and a bit weird but when someone at work says you'd be welcome at so-and-so's brunch this weekend, go. When someone offers you a space at something else, go.

More you do, the more people you meet, the quicker you'll be wondering why you were ever worried.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:48 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just start saying 'Yes' to everything. It sounds cliche and a bit weird but when someone at work says you'd be welcome at so-and-so's brunch this weekend, go. When someone offers you a space at something else, go.

More you do, the more people you meet, the quicker you'll be wondering why you were ever worried.
Yup! Also as you start to 'acquire' more friends then start organising nights out and invite them along. Dunno about AD but there are tons of deals on Cobone, Groupon, Hit the Deals etc. for places in Dubai which make them almost stupidly cheap.

On the seperation/divorce front it's tough at first and doesn't seem to get any easier, until the decree absolute comes through and the money etc. is squared away. The thing to bear in the forefront of your mind is that you're not having to live with that person any more
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No need to be sad - you're moving to the next phase of your life

Try meetup.com
Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded it - it's quite good, even if just for the funny chat up messages random guys send on it! Seems to have some decent events though so will try one out this week
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I've got a couple of single friends in Abu Dhabi who would be happy to give you a rattle if you get lonely.
Haha thanks... I'll keep that in mind!!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

pomomp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving over to Abu Dhabi (well, MZ - Al Gharbia) next month, and I won't know anyone either so I feel your pain!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

_Cheery is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, sorry to hear your news.

There's plenty to keep yourself occupied if you make the effort to get out and about - lots of places to go and people to meet in Abu Dhabi.

I second meetup.com (on which I believe there's an active group for expats in the UAE, though perhaps in Dubai?) plus FB groups - also InterNations is another option...don't pay attention to unwanted messages if you receive them.

Find what works for you by trying different things. Perhaps go watch a World Cup match for now as there will be loads of people around...schedule:Groups & Schedule - World Cup 2014 - Football - BBC Sport
Old Jul 12th 2014, 7:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

So how have things been going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.