Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question about floods in Oz

Stupid Question about floods in Oz

Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:54 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Question about floods in Oz

Originally Posted by weasel central
well they are able to walk rather quickly also if needs be, but i suppose a few might get stranded.
i dont think the saltwater ones are in Brisbane though, I remember being at Surfers Paradise and there were no nets to protect the beaches, and even along the gold coast I didnt see protection against crocs, sharks yes crocs no
I walked round a little lake in Cairns some time back and literally almost bumped into a croc.

Proper bricked it like. Was 20 feet away from me looking like it was Spugsy for brekkie.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

saltwater crocs are in the sea they are the bigger ones, freshwater crocs in the rivers. they are smaller but its not like you'd fight one off either
We also get Salties inland in our river systems here in Australia.

BC I think we're a bit too far south for any crocs, even in Gladstone and Rockhampton. There are bull sharks in the Brisbane River and at the moment, they will be in the flood waters. There are also snakes being washed out of their shelters. Lots of lots of dead animals, quite a few dead people, houses, boats, pontoons, restaurants, walkways, you name it is being tossed around under the surface of our currently flooded river. The hazards are everywhere. My suburb is half flooded but fortunately we're on high ground. Heaps of friends have houses in the flooded areas and some have families in the worst hit areas out West. The beginning of the week was an absolute shocker for us here in SE Queensland, but everything is calming down now. Let's hope the rain stays away and gives our state a chance to get back on it's feet quickly.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

who knows but washed up sharks are usually dead

i'd more afraid of those nasty bastard snakes than the crocs or sharks, or spiders for that matter. Anyhow are you going there for a trip? Really I wouldn't worry so much. most critters dont like to swim about in shit infested water anymore than humans do.
nope not planning on visiting, was just abit worried about the animal life, and I think Kim67 is there
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:04 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67

BC I think we're a bit too far south for any crocs, even in Gladstone and Rockhampton. There are bull sharks in the Brisbane River and at the moment, they will be in the flood waters. There are also snakes being washed out of their shelters. Lots of lots of dead animals, quite a few dead people, houses, boats, pontoons, restaurants, walkways, you name it is being tossed around under the surface of our currently flooded river. The hazards are everywhere. My suburb is half flooded but fortunately we're on high ground. Heaps of friends have houses in the flooded areas and some have families in the worst hit areas out West. The beginning of the week was an absolute shocker for us here in SE Queensland, but everything is calming down now. Let's hope the rain stays away and gives our state a chance to get back on it's feet quickly.
was thinking of you this morning, glad you are all safe x
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
nope not planning on visiting, was just abit worried about the animal life, and I think Kim67 is there
Yep, am here BC, and still have power to stay on BE fortunately (half my suburb was blacked out this morning). The animals have been hit hard and our main RSPCA centre is under water. They won't receive any government assistance to get back on their feet so have opened up a donation line for anyone wanting to donate. I've applied to foster some animals but haven't heard back whether they have enough foster families now. An old guy rescued some prize breeding stallions and mares from flood water today and the poor things were very badly cut from the debris in the water.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:08 am
Concierge

Yep, am here BC, and still have power to stay on BE fortunately (half my suburb was blacked out this morning). The animals have been hit hard and our main RSPCA centre is under water. They won't receive any government assistance to get back on their feet so have opened up a donation line for anyone wanting to donate. I've applied to foster some animals but haven't heard back whether they have enough foster families now. An old guy rescued some prize breeding stallions and mares from flood water today and the poor things were very badly cut from the debris in the water.
I watched it on Sky this morning, pure devastation, the world and it's weather has gone proper crazy!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I watched it on Sky this morning, pure devastation, the world and it's weather has gone proper crazy!
In Australia we are affected by El Nino and La Nina weather so we have cycles of normal weather as well as cycles of extreme drought and extreme flooding. This happens to be one of the worst cycles for 35 years and in some respects the worst in recorded history.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:14 am
Concierge

In Australia we are affected by El Nino and La Nina weather so we have cycles of normal weather as well as cycles of extreme drought and extreme flooding. This happens to be one of the worst cycles for 35 years and in some respects the worst in recorded history.
the recovery is going to take months if not years, I can't start to think how those who have lost their homes must be feeling
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the recovery is going to take months if not years, I can't start to think how those who have lost their homes must be feeling
The cleanup out West (where the inland tsunami hit) will take years but here in Brisbane, once the flood water recedes, people will clean up their businesses and their houses and it will be quite speedy. There are a few things that will obviously take a lot of time - one of Brisbane's main forms of public transport are our ferries and citycats. Most of the stations have been destroyed so will have to be rebuilt. Our main fruit and veg markets and regions that grow them have been destroyed so fruit and veg will be expensive and not very plentiful.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:27 am
Concierge

The cleanup out West (where the inland tsunami hit) will take years but here in Brisbane, once the flood water recedes, people will clean up their businesses and their houses and it will be quite speedy. There are a few things that will obviously take a lot of time - one of Brisbane's main forms of public transport are our ferries and citycats. Most of the stations have been destroyed so will have to be rebuilt. Our main fruit and veg markets and regions that grow them have been destroyed so fruit and veg will be expensive and not very plentiful.
are the Government being supportive with funding?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is true, isn't it?

At any natural or civil disaster, the first thought that comes to an English person is "oh god I hope the animals are all right."

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - I saw Prime Minister Gillard on the news, and she was totally reassuring............. clearly, she is a woman with a reputation for getting things done and sorting out problems...........
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

are the Government being supportive with funding?
Every flood affected person will receive an immediate payment of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child to help with costs while away from their homes. They have Centrelink staff at all flood shelters registering people and getting their payments sorted asap. The Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and the Lord Mayor, Campbell Newman has been remarkably informative, composed and supportive through the whole ordeal.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
Don't worry - I saw Prime Minister Gillard on the news, and she was totally reassuring............. clearly, she is a woman with a reputation for getting things done and sorting out problems...........
She did get up here straight away and got more army reinforcement and helicopters very quickly.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:06 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

so there could be washed up sharks?
Yep, they can't lend any money at the moment.

Snakes am the real problem and spiders who want more than ever to come in doors to keep dry. Really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.