Strange Journalism

Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:42 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange Journalism

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...-mall-1.592403
So why did they not say Man Stabs Woman...or Man Stabs Shop Assistant?...and why is the nationality of the culprit not disclosed?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange Journalism

Originally Posted by lionheart
So why did they not say Man Stabs Woman...or Man Stabs Shop Assistant?...and why is the nationality of the culprit not disclosed?
I don't actually find this strange... Many people here couldn't give a toss about news like this unless it happens to their own.

I'm always amazed by our maid... thousands dead in Haiti, she is only concerned about the 5 Filipinos that died there. Or the housemaid that was raped and killed by her employer - was awful news until she realized that it wasn't a pinoy.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Smells like a local who was upset his bit on the side wasn't interested anymore.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lionheart
Did you miss

"Witnesses claim that the Nepali man who stabbed her..."
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I don't actually find this strange... Many people here couldn't give a toss about news like this unless it happens to their own.
Yeah - this is the only place that I have seen that. they always give the nationality of the victims and offenders. I always thought it was quite odd, and smacked of a bit of moral superiority.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spart
Did you miss

"Witnesses claim that the Nepali man who stabbed her..."
I could have sworn that his nationality was not mentioned in the original report. Maybe it was added later. If it was there all the time then I retract my complaint, although I still dislike the use of the victim's nationality in the story headline.