Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stopping Smoking - Champix

Stopping Smoking - Champix

Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:33 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopping Smoking - Champix

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Anyone used this before? I've just finished day 3, tomorrow I start 2 half dose pills a day before going onto full fat next week. Felt very weird the first day, and in the last two days I've smoked a little less. I'm supposed to pick a day next week (day 8 - 15) of the treatment so going for Tuesday. But still not feeling right after such a small time on the drug. Not having suicidal thoughts or any of the wilder side effects, but it's a bloody strange feeling.

Anyone else tried it?
I tried Champix a few years ago, it worked perfectly...after two weeks I lost all interest in smoking (and no side-affects). At that point I assumed I had kicked the habit and didn't bother with the final course of tablets. Two weeks later I was back on the smokes.
The problem I now have is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:33 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I reckon the only way you can be successful is to actually want to quit and then by sheer willpower. If you don't want to, you are unlikely to be successful. I read part of that Alan Carr book some years ago and it just annoyed me.

Good luck Brains. I suggest keeping away from other smokers for a while and out of places where you normally smoke. Break the habit that way for starters.

Three months of not smoking for me now.
Whats been your driving force in giving up Meow? I have always said the day I wake up and do not enjoy a cigarette I will stop there and then. Did you stop because you had had enough of smoking or because you felt you needed to stop?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Whats been your driving force in giving up Meow? I have always said the day I wake up and do not enjoy a cigarette I will stop there and then. Did you stop because you had had enough of smoking or because you felt you needed to stop?
More the latter having smoked for years, but I had planned to do so early this year. It just so happened that I wasn't at all well over Christmas and didn't smoke for a few days so tried to carry on. I find it hardest when with other smokers with a drink in my hand, so I have smoked a couple of half cigarettes then but am no longer enjoying them, so I think I've mostly done it.

I was always one of those people who didn't smoke for days then binge smoked when I went out and close friends, who are heavy smokers, left Dubai in November, so that has all made it a bit easier. That said, there is still a little part of me that thinks smoking is cool.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:38 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

When my then four year old son picked up a still smoking ciggy from the street and put it in his mouth to look like daddy , that was a big kick up the ass for me.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That said, there is still a little part of me that thinks smoking is cool.
Darling..I still, occasionally, want a cigarette, even after 3 years
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:34 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
When my then four year old son picked up a still smoking ciggy from the street and put it in his mouth to look like daddy , that was a big kick up the ass for me.
Ouch, bet that felt great
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:53 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

one of those lightbulb moments.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
one of those lightbulb moments.
You bought him a pack?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:25 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

I tried it last year, came back from the Uk with a full 3 month course,
I never actually managed to go a day without one, they are still in the
cupboard just sat there....laughing at me.....epic fail !

I'd rather smoke that put myself under that kind of pressure again !
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp
You bought him a pack?
Nope , that would have been one of those lightup moments .
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:48 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
How/why did you all start smoking? I've never even had a puff of a cigarette - when I was a teenager, the smokers were seen as lonely losers trying to look big............ there was a massive sporting culture at school and I suppose many lads didn't want to jeopardise their places in the team.
its all about the people you grow up with
read this study a while ago about who tend to become smokers and who tend to be better at quitting and surprise surprise, boys tend to start smoking more often than girls and when its quitting time, girls are better at quitting (i know im going to get some flak for this from ze lads for this )
ofcourse the study was done a few years ago and I have NO idea what the teenagers are upto these days i.e. peer pressure etc
me dad was a 3 pack a day guy and one day about 10 years ago he went religious and stopped cold turkey, I naturally also smoked. I say naturally because I strongly believe first its the atmosphere at the house which determines whether a child will smoke or not and then its the friends he goes to school with who decide if he/she becomes one

I used to be a pack a day guy and also a good sportsman and one day the smoke caught up to me, had to run a mile or so and almost died! I seriously thought I was having a heart attack, that was the day I stopped smoking, I cant say quit as now I only smoke when Im having a beer, does that make me a social smoker
but I can go on for days and days without even wanting to smoke, weird
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:04 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

My mother has smoked for 45 years and just given up with the aid of champix she has tried many times before.
She thinks this worked as you still smoke at the beginning and give up slowly, she said it also helped seeing the smoking cessation advisor weekly