Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stop-over in Istanbul or Moscow?

Stop-over in Istanbul or Moscow?

Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice
Default Stop-over in Istanbul or Moscow?

I'm looking at tickets to the UAE and as EK that is flying direct is everything but cheap on the dates I plan to go, I might as well go for an airline with a stop-over.

Is Istanbul worth visiting for a day? What's Turkish Airlines like? Any survivors?

I would really love a stop-over in Moscow to see the Tetris-building, but I suspect that a visa is needed which might not be easily achieved and I don't want to send away my passport shortly before travelling.

Last edited by Myusernamewastaken; Jan 10th 2013 at 12:50 am.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stop-over in Istanbul or Moscow?

Turkish got voted best airline food, but have been smacked for their safety and maintenance routines. Flown them a few times, no complaints.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

At least I'll have a good last meal then.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Not flown Aeroflot though (assuming its your moscow option), so not sure on the food. But heard their crew is not very pleasant..and I can't imagine the in flight meal of turnips being much to rejoice about.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Yes, Aeroflot is the Moscow option. You never took a detour from the airport in Istanbul to see the city?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Not flown Aeroflot though (assuming its your moscow option), so not sure on the food. But heard their crew is not very pleasant
If that's how the flag carrier is, I don't want to know how Russia's equivalent of Ryanair would be..
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Myusernamewastaken
Yes, Aeroflot is the Moscow option. You never took a detour from the airport in Istanbul to see the city?
Oo..Forgot to mention on that. Yes, yes I have. Absolutely worth it. I went on my own, but Turkish Airlines apparently organize free tours. I took the metro to town and went for food and a little stroll before I went back. Depends how long you have, I'd say about an hour or so into town plus minus inclusive of walking. It uses tokens which you get from machines. Worth it for any layover for 5 hours+, anything else may get stressful but still doable.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...assengers.aspx

My grandparents sat in Moscow in a dreary single bed hotel room for 3 days without a visa once before the fall of the soviet union, not recommendable.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

If that's how the flag carrier is, I don't want to know how Russia's equivalent of Ryanair would be..
I had to google that, seems that low cost carriers have not been a hit with the russians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avianova_(Russia)

I have seen a fair few charter flights from Russia..the crowds at the gate are always a sight to behold.

Flying on one of the old Russkie steel tubes is an experience I've only had the pleasure of ones..and with an African airline to boot. An old IL-62, designated as the presidential plane, but would be used whenever their DC-10 was out of action, which was quite frequent.

Last edited by Paracletus; Jan 10th 2013 at 1:59 am.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Moscow, but I would probably hub through Istanbul on Turkish. Food in Istanbul is great and easy to find. The women fall into one of two categories: (i) stunning, or (ii) shocking. There is no middle ground.

I've flown Aeroflot and Turkish Airlines. I would avoid Aeroflot. Use the stupidly cheap metro in Istanbul as traffic is really bad (2-3 hours from the airport to the city in stop-start traffic is not uncommon).
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.istanbulinhours.com/

The official Turkish Airlines stopover and tour website actually, if you haven't seen it.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

I would avoid Aeroflot.
Any reasons apart from supposedly food and [cabin] crew?

I suppose that no one has any mystery solution to the Russian visa problem?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that no one has any mystery solution to the Russian visa problem?
You will need an invite letter. The hotel may be able to arrange it.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Areoflot is the worst airline but the most enjoyable (in a scary way) - the planes arent well maintaned, the food is awful, the stewedess were scary (and many of them were of a bigger build than myself !).

I usually fly from K8 via Istanbul to UK - the airport is nice and relaxed, the flights are reliable, good seats and usually not fully booked so space to walk around the plane, and the business lounges have ipads on the sofas (only problem is you cant smoke in the lounge !!)
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I've done Turkish Airlines by accident - code share with Etihad who couldn't be bothered flying the route on a Saturday (or telling me it was code share). It was ok, but a very old plane - plastic leather seats, cigarette trays in the arms, no danger of any sort of entertainment system, even looping videos. Ok for Istanbul to Ab Dabs, not sure I'd want to do it any for anywhere further.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:37 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at tickets to the UAE and as EK that is flying direct is everything but cheap on the dates I plan to go, I might as well go for an airline with a stop-over.

Is Istanbul worth visiting for a day? What's Turkish Airlines like? Any survivors?

I would really love a stop-over in Moscow to see the Tetris-building, but I suspect that a visa is needed which might not be easily achieved and I don't want to send away my passport shortly before travelling.
My friend just flew Turkish. She spent 36 hours stranded at the airport. She left the UK tuesday and got back here 5am this morning. She didn't seem very complimentary towards Turkish Airlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.