Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

"Stop Imposing English on Our Children"

"Stop Imposing English on Our Children"

Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Stop Imposing English on Our Children"

We must hope the standard of English being taught in the Gulf is better than is being taught in some of Britain's colonies. Here in my island in the Caribbean, the standard is appalling, and has had a dismal effect on the standards of writing and speaking among native-born school-leavers. Here are a couple of paragraphs from a September 2012 blog-post of mine ("Nothing to loose"):
Is punctuation even a tiny part of any syllabus in government schools these days, anywhere in the world? It’s hard to tell. Few high-school graduates seem to know when to use which marks, and when not. Unwarranted apostrophes commonly betray an ignorance of plural and possessive forms that has survived thirteen years of schooling.
Greengrocers can be forgiven for advertising tomatoe’s and bean’s, because they write a special dialect of English called (jokingly) Grocerese; but in other contexts the usage simply screams, “I am ignorant beyond redemption; ignore everything I say”. Why haven’t our state educators sorted this out before now?

Please tell me you have something better in the Gulf, in the government schools.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
A lot of East Asian (and interestingly, West African) languages are mainly assonanical (I believe that's the term) which rely heavily on vowel sounds. Most European languages and Arabic are more driven by consonant sounds. Things like tone and pitch, which are incidental in consonantal languages, are critical to meaning in assonanical languages. Hence the mutual level of difficulty in speaking and pronunciation between them (I guess most Europeans sounds really daft trying to speak Cantonese also).
The main challenge with tonal languages like Mandarin or Catonese, with up to four or five ways to say a particular word and completely different meanings for each tone.

Master the tones and Chinese becomes incredibly easy (apparently!), straightforward and logical - like Latin without the painful grammar. Mandarin is arguably the Latin of east Asia - all technical and legal words in Japanese and Koran come from it.

N.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:18 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

people do take you in context as well if your tones aren't quite right.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
We must hope the standard of English being taught in the Gulf is better than is being taught in some of Britain's colonies. Here in my island in the Caribbean, the standard is appalling, and has had a dismal effect on the standards of writing and speaking among native-born school-leavers. Here are a couple of paragraphs from a September 2012 blog-post of mine ("Nothing to loose"):
Is punctuation even a tiny part of any syllabus in government schools these days, anywhere in the world? It’s hard to tell. Few high-school graduates seem to know when to use which marks, and when not. Unwarranted apostrophes commonly betray an ignorance of plural and possessive forms that has survived thirteen years of schooling.
Greengrocers can be forgiven for advertising tomatoe’s and bean’s, because they write a special dialect of English called (jokingly) Grocerese; but in other contexts the usage simply screams, “I am ignorant beyond redemption; ignore everything I say”. Why haven’t our state educators sorted this out before now?

Please tell me you have something better in the Gulf, in the government schools.
Erm...
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to loose? Was that supposed to be ironic?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:19 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Meow
Like it!

Nothing too loose - would work as well he is in the Caribbean and easy fit clothes are the order of the day!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Erm...
Perfectly acceptable. Would you prefer "...not to."?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly acceptable. Would you prefer "...not to."?
Really? From an idiomatic perspective, I definitely would. If you said, "They don't know when its acceptable, and when it's not.", then there's balance: the "not" without the "to" in referring to a verb in the preceding subclause doesn't create balance.

And do colonial schoolchildren graduate now? Are they students or pupils? That's part way down the slippery slope at the bottom of which, as in Japan, kindergarten pupils "graduate".

And I definitely think your ; (in your final quotation) should be a : -- the two subclauses are too closely tied to be separated by a ;.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:57 pm
Bored liberal

Yes.
I don't believe you. Not judging by the rest of your writing...
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And do colonial schoolchildren graduate now? Are they students or pupils? That's part way down the slippery slope at the bottom of which, as in Japan, kindergarten pupils "graduate".
And I definitely think your ; (in your final quotation) should be a : -- the two subclauses are too closely tied to be separated by a ;.
Yes, they do graduate, I'm afraid. (Well, I'm not actually afraid, if that's too colloquial for you... Let's say I'm embarrassed to admit!) Although, limiting the use of "graduate" to colleges is more a matter of British tradition than a rule of grammar.

As for your punctuation: I would never use "but" after a colon. Ever. Nor would Professor Fowler. Nor should you. Even in Internet forums. Or blogs. (I would happily defy Spellcheck to the point of leaving verbs and subjects off sentences, however. So as not to be pedantic. You know?)
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't believe you. Not judging by the rest of your writing...
So was your original question meant to be rhetorical?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kix
Like it!
Nothing too loose - would work as well he is in the Caribbean and easy fit clothes are the order of the day!
Hey, peace, man!

Meow: I should never have tried irony. I didn't think it would confuse anybody. Did you read the first sentence of the relevant blog? It let the cat out of the bag right away, pretty much.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:29 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, peace, man!

Meow: I should never have tried irony. I didn't think it would confuse anybody. Did you read the first sentence of the relevant blog? It let the cat out of the bag right away, pretty much.
Given your ponderous, inelegant (and inaccurate) prose, condescending tone and blatant shilling why do you think anybody would have actually clicked through to your inevitably insufferably pompous blog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.