British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Stop Giving Me Receipts!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/stop-giving-me-receipts-593138/)

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:01 am

Stop Giving Me Receipts!!

Is anyone else sick and tired of being given receipts for bloody everything you buy, no matter how small the purchase?

It's just bloody inconvenient, shopping in one hand, money in the other, trying to put the change in my wallet and there's a bloody receipt mixed up in there somewhere. Does my head right in, if I want a receipt I will ask for one thanks.

Rant Over

Kim67 Feb 22nd 2009 11:07 am

Re: Stop Giving Me Receipts!!

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310138)
Is anyone else sick and tired of being given receipts for bloody everything you buy, no matter how small the purchase?

It's just bloody inconvenient, shopping in one hand, money in the other, trying to put the change in my wallet and there's a bloody receipt mixed up in there somewhere. Does my head right in, if I want a receipt I will ask for one thanks.

Rant Over

No, every cent I spend I put into a spreadsheet to keep track of our expenses, so a receipt is always handy so I don't forget what I've spent.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:07 am

I find them useful to draw up a budget each month and make claims on warantees etc. I can claim back GST (VAT) on some things as well :thumbup:.

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:10 am

I find them useful to draw up a budget each month and make claims on warantees etc. I can claim back GST (VAT) on some things as well .
I don't need to do that, I'm not VAT registered...... :p Therefore it's annoying.

Kim67 Feb 22nd 2009 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310155)
I don't need to do that, I'm not VAT registered...... :p Therefore it's annoying.

It's not for tax purposes, it's because my husband is a banker and likes to keep track of every cent we spend. You should do it, you'd be surprised how all those two dirham purchases can add up over the month. We've also discovered a few frauds on our credit card by ticking of our receipts each month.

lionheart Feb 22nd 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7310172)
It's not for tax purposes, it's because my husband is a banker and likes to keep track of every cent we spend. You should do it, you'd be surprised how all those two dirham purchases can add up over the month. We've also discovered a few frauds on our credit card by ticking of our receipts each month.

And I thought I was tighter than a ducks ass!:rofl:

Kim67 Feb 22nd 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7310179)
And I thought I was tighter than a ducks ass!:rofl:

and he's not even a scotsman.....

MataHari Feb 22nd 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7310172)

but what's the point of keeping track...I don't understand...

Kim67 Feb 22nd 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7310187)

It shows where and on what our money's being spent - husband has his own business and helps to show which of our expenses are business related etc. Helps with future budgeting too.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7310187)

It just makes you aware of your spending and gives you an overview of your financial future :).

MataHari Feb 22nd 2009 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7310211)
It just makes you aware of your spending and gives you an overview of your financial future :).

oh...that's so not me

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:33 am

It just makes you aware of your spending and gives you an overview of your financial future .
I just do that in my head, I set myself an allowance for the month and don't go over it, simple. If there are unexpected expenses then I have a debate with myself to see if I really need the said items, or dip into the emergency fund.

I certainly don't need to go through loads of receipts... Jeez, I have better things to do, like post trash on here.

Bison

Kim67 Feb 22nd 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7310216)
oh...that's so not me

I would never have dreamed of being like it either, but have to keep the peace - live in a household full of people with OCD so just need to keep them happy. Gotta go help 10 year old with maths homework now - so not me either.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310218)
I certainly don't need to go through loads of receipts...

Thats true in some ways but it doesn't actually tell you things like how much of your spending is on essential stuff (house, food, energy, miss charismatics shoes etc.) and hence fixed. Over half of my expenditure is on tat I don't really need.

Nic1 Feb 22nd 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7310221)
I would never have dreamed of being like it either, but have to keep the peace - live in a household full of people with OCD so just need to keep them happy. Gotta go help 10 year old with maths homework now - so not me either.

I'm impressed you can help him - it's all got a bit to difficult for me . . .